DCS and Pimax

Wags

Also other major issue is software capability to reducing 200FOV to 170 with intention to reduce need for higher hardware needs in some titles, like for example is DCS. lower FOV is lower number of pixels needed to be rendered.

This is good possibility for consumers to make some compromise with performance and details.

Sweviver kind of hinted (using another brand hmd for the example) at the gtx 1070 being an acceptable minimum for only some VR titles. Certainly the ability to dial back to 170 fov will be of benefit for those who have lower end cards. Even with a 1080ti there are compromises so it will be interesting to see how DCS performs on these 2 settings. He did say he was testing using both cards.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

• 2 weeks later...

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

That proves nothing

But it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

edit: The article's been updated since this morning. Anyone who hasn't checked back on it, may want to do so.

Edited by cordite

But it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

edit: The article's been updated since this morning. Anyone who hasn't checked back on it, may want to do so.

The reason it was sent to testers was to get feedback from "TESTING" ...they already sent new unit's back to them after recommendations .....This tells me their trying to correct issues the testers are finding before finalizing...

I seriously doubt they will put out a final product that all the testers believe has serious issues....I could be wrong but I'll remain positive...

UPDATED

Update (July 13, 2018 – 11:58AM PT): Two of the Pimax M1 beta testers, VoodooDE and SweViver, have chimed in on the Reddit thread with the leaked information saying that many of the issues highlighted by the testers in the leak have been addressed:

VoodooDE: Guys, don’t believe that. It’s a very old leak of my forum post and I can confirm that many of the issues have been fixed until now.

SweViver: I’m 100% confident Pimax 8K is replacing my other VR headets very soon :) In fact its the only headset Ive been using since I got the m1. The majority of these issues are now fixed btw. Don’t panic… A full review and daily testings will be soon up on my channel.

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Relax Gents :drink:

About the Pimax 8K m1 "leaks" - from a beta testers perspective self.Pimax

submitted 6 hours ago by SweViver

About the Pimax 8K m1 testing leaks: I can confirm most of the leaked issues are already fixed almost a week ago. Those leaked posts are relatively old now, and tons of daily work and effort has been put into testing, addressing and resolving all hardware and software issues the last 3-4 weeks. In fact, you wont imagine how much can be done in just a few weeks.

Im daily spending between 6-12 hours with the 8K m1 headset doing in-depth software testings, and after hundreds and hundreds of hours in the wide FOV virtual reality by now, I'm very happy with the progress.

Today, I'm already now 100% confident the Pimax 8K will replace all my other VR headsets upon launch. No doubt. Since a month back, its the only headset I prefer to use despite not even being finished. If I'm not worried, then you shouldn't worry either. We have something awesome coming here, trust me.

Stay tuned for the full m1 testing results and final Pimax 8K reviews, benchmarks, gameplays, comparisons and in-depth analysis all coming to my channel, as soon as Im allowed to publish all info, which should be soon!

And don't panic. Thats what the person who made and leaked these screenshots wants you to.

Enjoy your weekend all! Cheers

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Another thing of note is the real world requirements for GPU to run this thing. On my 1080, I expect to have to run it with reduced FOV in DCS.

I also see they have some issues with rendering darkness and colors. DCS applies filters and hues to render effects of natural light. Perhaps it is possible to give VR users more options to turn them off to improve image clarity.

An example of this is the HUD on the F-18, it consist of 2 layers, and on my Pimax 4k it gets to be to dark in less optimal lighting conditions. (attacking a ground target in shadow is most pronounced)

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

An example of this is the HUD on the F-18, it consist of 2 layers, and on my Pimax 4k it gets to be to dark in less optimal lighting conditions. (attacking a ground target in shadow is most pronounced)

If you search the forums, someone made a mod that has a more realistic tint and it doesn't get flagged in multiplayer.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Update from PIMAX (31st July):

Hi Futurists,

We have been working with M1 testers to improve the product for almost two months and over 400 games tested, the community contributed to the beta testing a lot as well. http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/how-to-contribute-to-the-closed-beta/7173

As planned, we are assembling the 2nd batch of ~230 M2 (improved M1). The process goes smoothly.

On August, we plan to bring M2 to offline backer meetups to learn from your thoughts.

What we will do during the meetups:

1. Demo the potential of 8K with recommended graphics cards and games;

2. Compare 8K directly with other VR headsets;

3. Show you how to adjust settings on PiTool to reach the best experience;

4. Collect your requirements and suggestions;

5. Answer your questions face to face.

When confirmed, the time and location of the meetups will be updated via Kickstarter.

Thanks to the hard work of testers and the team, the experience has been largely improved.

Here are some of the issues you concern about:

1. Performance

Performance has been improved by 30% - 40% for new games, including Unreal 4.18 or later, most Unity games, and Oculus 1.17 or later. We will share a list of games we have tested so far.

GTX 1070 is the minimum graphics cards that we can run 8K with, however, GTX1070 cannot utilize the full potential of Pimax 8K.

We have integrated different FOV options in PiTool for users to choose from. 1070 users would use smaller FOV before upgrading graphics cards.

Worth to mention that, with GTX 1070, 5K performs better than 8K. For those who are not planning to upgrade the graphics cards, we will provide you options to exchange your 8K for 5K + accessories.

Another good news is that the next-generation graphics cards and VR technology are around the corner. We cannot disclose details, but you can find relevant information online.

2. Distortions on the edge of the big FOV

With large FOV, it is hard to find the "one fits all" algorithm.

The distortion is impacted by different FOV options, IPD, myopia/hyperopia, and the different distance between eyes and lenses. This is not an issue with small FOV headsets, but an issue with big FOV headsets.

With the most recent PiTool version .61, we have improved the lens correction profiles significantly. Previously the equipment can only measure up to 120 degrees, the engineers rely on subjective estimations to correct the distortions beyond the 120 FOV range.

Now we have the new equipment that supports 190 FOV test, it definitely will help the engineers to test and correct the distortions at the edge, the accuracy will be largely improved.

Whatsmore, we plan to offer several settings for users to find their best fit. More information will be shared later.

3. Software and UX

We are working with testers to speed up iterations, we have resolved most of the issues identified by the testers.

When key issues resolved, we plan to allocate more resources to improve UX/UI, and share the improved PiTool with you to collect feedback and localization support. We plan to open the UX/UI/Localization projects to the community and provide rewards for top contributors. We believe the UX/UI will be largely improved with time and efforts from Pimax team and the community.

As business clients do not require perfect software / UX, and they usually only adopt one type of PC for each scenario, we can meet their expectations already. We have received enough business orders and have reached a consensus with our clients:

"Backers come first, business clients second."

By that saying, we will move on with the mass production, if some backers prefer to wait until software ready, we can still deliver the prepared units to business clients.

FAQ

Will the M2 in the meetups the same units with those the testers are testing with?

M2 = improved M1. M2 is exactly the result of the join effort of Pimax team, testers, and the community.

Do the backer meetups mean the end of closed beta or the embargo is about to lift?

No, the closed beta will keep going and the embargo will not be lifted until ready. However, no NDA required for the small-scale, private, backer-only meetups. Testers can express their impressions as backers, but in-depth reviews will be reserved until embargo lifted.

What's the difference in terms of purpose between backer meetups and M1 closed beta?

Testers are the backers nominated by the community. The whole purpose of the closed beta is for testers to give M1 in-depth testing and high-quality feedback.

We are working with testers to keep improving software and user experience, many details are subject to change. Thus, we will not offer closed review during backer meetups.

The purpose of backer meetups is to bring backers the optimized M1 headset, demo the potential of 8K, and learn your preferences about shipping, and anything we haven't considered.

Will backer meetups impact the mass production and shipping progress?

It won't. As planned, we are producing around 230 units, there will be around 700 one month later, and scale up progressively.

(previous plan on tracking)

During the backer meetups, you can let us know, in person or by email, whether you are willing to receive earlier even when software not ready.

It is possible backers prefer to wait until software and user experience improved. In case there are headsets left, we will ship the units to our business clients.

We have business orders of thousands of headsets and our business clients are very nice and agreed on taking care of any unit left.

How to distinguish the business version and the consumer version?

The community provides brilliant suggestions for the business ID. http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pimax-business-version-id/7177/166

Before the ID fixed, we will make minor tweaks in the appearance, so you can tell the difference between the two versions.

With the following updates, we will address the following questions:

1. What exactly improved on M2 when comparing with M1

2. Game list we have tested;

3. The time and location of the backer meetups and how to participate;

4. When and how to let us know if you want to receive your units earlier even if software not ready;

5. Detailed testing reports when the M1 closed beta ends;

6. Return/exchange policies.

Based on our internal testing and other feedback, we are confident that once tried 8K, it will be hard for you to get used to old generation headsets anymore. We won't let our backers disappointed.

Best Regards,

The Pimax Team

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Didn't intend buying this anyway, due to the requirement for Lighthouse tracking (and therefore extra cost), but if the minimum requirement is a 1070 I definitely won't have one - I have no intention of wasting money 'upgrading' to another 1k series card.

I'spect I'll upgrade my 1060 with a 12 or 1300 series one, by which time hopefully Rift CV2 will be near release and we'll know what we are getting with it.

Hopefully the PiMax spec will at least mean that Rift CV2 will hopefully trump it's performance.

I'm not even a little bit surprised about the requirement for at least a 1070. Given the extra pixels and FOV that need to be pushed, it makes total sense.

In DCS, even running with a 1080ti there is performance to be desired.

11 series cards will probably drop around September and I fully expect, and always have expected, to need one to power the Pimax 8k headset in DCS.

It's not a waste of money, if it means a dramatically improved experience.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I like that they give you an option. Downgrade some of the specs and keep using 1070 (or lower?) spec cards. Or use the latest GPU to power the latest VR HMD.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 3 weeks later...
It seems that this will be outdated before released with the new vr interface, rtx 2080 and starvr.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

StarVR One is an enterprise product.

Also, like everyone, Pimax is well aware of the next nVidia generation and even hinted that they might have some kind of early access to it.

The Backers meetup in Berlin, from Aug 31-Sept 2 will have 3 of the beta tester there. From the Kicstarter Q/A "Yes, will be live stream for those cannot attend".

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

The Backers meetup in Berlin, from Aug 31-Sept 2 will have 3 of the beta tester there. From the Kicstarter Q/A "Yes, will be live stream for those cannot attend".

I'll be there as well. It's a bit funny because the event is located literally just 5 min by bike from the place I live :D

In any case, I am just a simple backer and have no obligations to whomever or signed any kind of NDA. So if anyone is interested (?), I could give a completely unbiased opinion.

Actually, I have no idea what to expect. But if you have any suggestion what I should pay particular attention to, or have any question, I could pass along if I get the chance, just shoot. I'll do my best to get an answer - but, of course, I can't promise anything :)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i7-8700K | Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix OC | 32 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | Asus Maximus Hero X | Samung EVO 960 Pro SSD | VKB Gunfighter Pro | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss