DCS and Pimax

Wags

18 hours ago, darkman222 said:

The hand tracking module for the Pimax seems to be kinda released. Waiting time after payment 6-8 weeks though. Does anyone have it? Or at least know if it will work in DCS?

I  just test it one hour (I moved to Reverb, and tested it to sell it with my Pimax 5K+). It works quite well with DCS Leap : https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/fr/files/3306533/ I did not spend too much time to fine tune it, but I was able to switch and turn anything in cockpit. I think with a few more time and training it will work OK. Do not try to use controller emulation for DCS, it's not working well.
I had to use an old version of https://github.com/SDraw/driver_leap, the last one was creating 2 second delay for virtual controller actions !

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

2 hours ago, darkman222 said:

Would you recommend it tho? The Pimax manual now says you dont have to use DCS leap. Instead a Pimax installer should do everything automatically for you now.

I do not know, I did not test this Pimax installer...

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

• 1 month later...

**New PiTool**

Pitool Download

Pitool

Release Date: 2021/03/03

Version: v1.0.1.269

File Size: 118MB

Download

New Features:

1.Add Amazon User feedback channel.

2.Optimize application's compatibility.

3.Optimze some headset models' compatibility.

Patrick

mini.gif

Is the 8KX still the best option for DCS; anything new coming out in 2021? I used mine only for a few days; I had the bight idea to sell both of my 2080 Ti last year since the 3080 was coming out. Wasn't' terribly impressed with the resolution.

22 hours ago, krassyg said:

Is the 8KX still the best option for DCS; anything new coming out in 2021? I used mine only for a few days; I had the bight idea to sell both of my 2080 Ti last year since the 3080 was coming out. Wasn't' terribly impressed with the resolution.

I'm sure you'll find 10 different opinions from 10 different HMD users.I only have The Pimax 8kx.and before that The Pimax 5k+and before that Oculas CV1...The Big difference for me is The Wide FOV Pimax offers .It really brings up the immersion factor.

I don't think I could go back to a smaller FOV even at a Higher Resolution,

• Like 2

Patrick

mini.gif

Same for me. As long as your PC can handle the hardware demands there is no alternative to the 8KX. I had the 5K before and you have to render in a very high over sample quality to get a good image. Whereas for the 8KX you just render the native resolution which is just a little bigger than the resolution for 5K needed to make it look pretty. The resolution improvement from the 5K to the 8KX is not mindblowing, sure. But with the 8KX you really can now tell where the nose of the enemy aircraft is pointing  at much higher distances to the enemy. And the screen door effect is almost gone. I really was tired of looking in the distance for enemy aircraft and seeing all that pixels from the screen door effect. This is my major point for the 8KX. Almost no screen door effect any more.

I also received the hand tracking module and was hoping there would be an easy way to emulate the vive hand controllers for DCS. But the "DCS leap" plugin written by a user does not work with the pimax. But if at some point it will be possible either to emulate the vive controllers via steam or natively use hand tracking in DCS this will be also a big advantage of the Pimax in DCS. The finger tracking demo games which come with the hand tracking module work incredibly well, which is really promising for the future use in DCS.

Edited by darkman222

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard good things about the Reverb G2, but I never tried one. I had a G1, and prefer the 8kx as the FOV is much larger with about the same resolution.

Where we at on settings these days? I tried that whole SSS at 500% and PD .5 or whatever, seems fine but I was reading that it's a myth?

i9 9900, RTX3090, 32 GB

Moe "Moespeeds" Colontonio

vVMA 231

http://www.vvma-231.com/

Looking for a serious US based Harrier Squadron? We are recruiting!

• 4 weeks later...

Has someone tried out 60 Hz mode on the 8KX before? It is great for flying on big MP servers because even with low CPU frame times you can get great smooth results without using image distoring brainwarp technology. But I now started to see the strobing which was already slightly visible in 75Hz mode a lot more in 60 Hz. I did a quick slow motion video with my cell phone through the lens  and I realized that in both modes 60 Hz and /75 Hz the pimax 8KX shows 2/3rd of the time a black image.

See the video. Can someone do me a favor and try the same with a cell phone that has slow motion capabilites through the lens? I am not really sure if thats by design, because I can put my gaming monitor even to a rate of 23 Hz and it does not flicker or strobe at all.

Edited by darkman222

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the Pitool through the software to the latest version and now I can't run Steam VR without having the Pitool running. Is this normal? I have never had to have it running before. 

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

Hello to all on this Forum!!

It is great to be part of something kinda wonderful!! And I am enjoying the start of this new hobby.

Anyway to point. I purchased my kit at the end of last year, and unfortunately? I had to head to Oz for 4 months work over the winter, so I have not had a great deal of hands on time to set up. But, and gathering from a lot of the threads, which I do struggle to understand. There are a lot of settings, opinions, and ways to skin a cat when it comes to VR set up!! Some cleverer people seem to have tweaked the settings to the n'th degree and are quite happy. I, myself have only managed to follow the more basic set up, and have a nice experience, but still struggle with the clarity and definition of the cockpit. And maybe it always will be?

If I zoom to an MFD it is clear. But if not, it is blurred, I have over time started to see word shapes, so can guess. And the centre moving map, I can not read the writing around the sides on the screen. Is this standard for all, and I just need to get on with it or do others have a crystal display??

Now I do come under the "Some nice gear but no idea" bracket, and even though I am trying to understand a lot of the technical explanations and advice, I do end up in a bit of a hoilicks!! 

Are there any online webinars to help me with this stuff that anyone knows about? Or, have I got as good as it gets and time to get on with the flying??

Any relevant thread pointing or basic tips would be really appreciated, 

Happy shooting.

I think my "Rig" is at the bottom. But essentially I have a Pimax 5K+.

Cheers,

Zorro's Mask

i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz / MSi MAG Z390 Tomahawk / 32.0 GB / Windows 10 Home / NVIDIA GeFORCE RTX3080 / ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB / Pimax 5K+ / STEAM BASE / Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS / Thrustmaster TPR / DCS 2.7 / F/A18 / Syria

I just checked the benchmarks for your rig and compared it to my previous rig.

Before I sold my 5K for a 8KX I had a 2080Ti running the Pimax 5K. Worked very well. So the 2080Ti and the 3070 are quite comparable in the benchmark. I'd say it will work good. 

Talking about the processor. For single player missions it will be okay. Could cause issues on MP servers. Because DCS is often bottlenecked by the processor before the GPU will limit the performance.

In that case you could try 72 Hz mode on the pimax which reduces the requested CPU frame time siginificantly.

Edited by darkman222

• 3 weeks later...

New PiTool Beta

Dear all,

We would love to invite you all to download the beta version 271. This version is not release on the official site yet, so you may need to download via link below.Please give us feedback on this patch, as this is gonna be great for us to fix any bugs before turn into official.

Pitool Beta V.271 Log

1. Update the headset firmware flashing program.

2. Optimized the compatibility for the 5K Super.

3. Fixed an issue where the language of the dialog box is different with Pitool.

4. Fixed a problem that causes the SteamVR Installation Tutorial Link to fail.

5. Syncronized the 90Hz Pitool and Nvidia drivers for compatibility.

6. Additional bug fixes and optimizations.

Download the Beta Version at here!

http://pitool.oss-accelerate.aliyuncs.com/Pitool/PiToolSetup_1.0.1.271.exe

Have a nice day!

Patrick

mini.gif

Update 11th June 2021

renderTimingPixel.png

Update

June 11th, 2021

Big Updates This Week!

1.Sword Controller Volume Production Testing

We have moved into the trial production testing phase for the Pimax Sword controllers and are now producing the devices from our full production line. This is typically the last step prior to the official release, so please expect more information about the release of Sword controllers very soon.

We cannot wait to reveal the features and specifications of the Sword controller in the upcoming special press release.

r/Pimax - Update 11th June 2021

2.DMAS Testing Program Progress

A few weeks ago, testers were selected from our OPENMR forums to test the new DMAS. Since that time all of the testers have received their prototypes and have been testing for about a week till now. Overall testing has gone well and the tester group has suggested some improvements that should not be difficult to implement.

Special Note: The testers only tested the hardware itself and not the special driver we are planning to release.

3.Pitool Version 271 Released

We have released a new version of Pitool, which is Version 271. This version added a number of bug fixes and improvements for the 5K Super and the 8KX. This version also includes a more robust version of our flashing tool DFU.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-beta-v1-0-1-271/36199

4.New 8KX firmware testing

In addition to the new Pitool release, we have released a test version of our 8KX firmware to an OpenMR testing group for evaluation. 1 of the 8 testers was unable to successfully operate the firmware and we are investigating into that.

This firmware includes a number of significant improvements which include the ability to use the 8KX at 90Hz with the latest Nvidia driver. It also increased rotational clarity among a number of other technical improvements.

Special Note: We received feedback from our OpenMR users, that AMD 6800 and 6900 can also support 90Hz on the 8KX in most cases. Users of the Nvidia 2080TI have also reported full compatibility.

We expect to have this version debugged and released in the very near future.

5.Calling for Editors for Pimax Experience Cloud Profiles.

If you are interested to be a volunteer in this project, please kindly proceed to this link.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-vr-experience-cloud-profiles-calling-for-editors/34865

Leave your experience and related information, or you can send a direct message to Armin / Sweviver.

6.Eye Tracking Update

A new poll will be launched to ask users who have the Eye Tracking module about their level of success. If you have an Eye Tracking module please let us know your experience with it in the poll so we can further improve it.

Please proceed to OpenMR to cast your vote.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/eye-tracking-poll/36270

In addition, we have an upcoming special announcement for Eye Tracking module owners that may benefit quite a few. Stay tuned for this.

Patrick

mini.gif