DCS and Pimax

Wags

The vertical offset slider is just one of the parameters you can change on the two pages of the Pitool software which contain settings, similarly you can change brightness and contrast which I also did. I put in a value of +2 on the vertical offset and this seems to move the sweetspot more into the area where you want it, ie around the cockpit guages.

Appreciate that. It helped.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Adjusting the viewport angles in DCS´ stereo.lua to large- or normal-FOV tangent space of the Pimax gives me more the impression of an improved image quality, than vertical offset adjustment.

Could you explain, please, how to do it and what values.

Still am wondering about, why Pimax always separate their options from left to right eye?

Like brightness etc. is also separated from left to right eye ... the separation would be a funny feature for chameleons, but humans?

I think it's to adjust for any slight differences people might be experiencing with the left and right panels. Apparently some panels will be slightly less bright or have a slightly different color tone out of the factory.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I don't own a Pimax and have no experience with their software but one thing I've contemplated is that a persons face is rarely symmetrical. There is always a slight difference between left and right side of the face. Eyes not equal distance to the nose, ears on different height and so on so forth. I see a possibility that the option to set preferences for each lens is actually a bonus in regards to this. If the IPD also was possible to adjust per eye it would be optimal. Just my 2 cents.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

That´s all true and the many options with Pitool are appreciated, but is there really a need to adjust such as brightness for the left panel differently from the right panel, as the image in VR will be always perceived as one/ combination of left and right eye? To me it appears a bit like playing around with some easy to implement options, without the absolutely need for these options - but that´s more personal view, than complaining.

Ironacilly the IPD setting is not separated for each eye - me too got an IPD of 32 / 31,5 ( eye to center of the nose ).

@Icebeat

take a look at attached link/spreadsheet for values. A few sides back in this thread, there are some detailed comments on editing the stereo.lua. It´s more experimenting from my side, than well-founded knowledge. With some things I might be wrong, like editing the native resolution of the Pimax in the stereo.lua, but editing the tangents and aspect in the stereo.lua does have an effect on the image. By default it seems to be a bit off for the Pimax, vertically pressed like putting a 4:3 picture on a 16:9 screen, which also has an negative effect on how the 3-D effect appears.

But you should try to experiment for yourself and have some own conclusions... would be interesting to read of those.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q7Va5Q6iU40CGgewoEqRAeypUa1c0zZ86mqR8uIyDeE/edit#gid=0

Edit: BTW, sorry for the weird phrasing in the post before ... just wanted to foward a sudden thought on the matter while being busy with other stuff on the PC. While hacking in, some more thoughts came up and the fingers took control over the brain ... like Jackson Pollock style - I wasn´t drunk ... hahaha.

Edited by - Voight -

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is both ;) DCS engine is not so good for VR. AA doesn't work good. On the other hand Pimax could have larger resolution, but... we have to wait for 4080ti ;)

Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

A small step-by-step guide for better clarity/3-D effect and performance with Pimax5k+:

1.) set in Pitool Render Quality to 1.0 or 1.25

2.) open with an editor the profile.json located in

c:\user\*yourusername*\AppData\Local\Pimax\runtime\profile.json

set the value in line "FOV_outer_adjust_degree" : -2.32

( default value is "10" instead of -2.32 )

save and close the profile.json.

Reboot windows/PC

3.) start SteamVR

Under ´Video´ enable ´manual override´ and set the slider to 30%.

if you have set render quality in Pitool at 1.0, steamVR at 30% should now result in a render

resolution of 2560 x 1440. If you have set render quality in Pitool at 1.25, steamvr should now result in a render resolution of 3200 x 1800.

I would recommend to set Pitool to 1.25 render quality.

4.) open with an editor in windows administrator mode the ´stereo.lua´ located in

...\DCS\config\MonitorSetup\stereo.lua

exchange the default values with the following ones marked with color for normal FOV with Pimax5k+

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('Stereo');

Description = 'Stereo render two viewports for left and right eye respectivelly'

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width * 0.5;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect / 2;

eye_shift = -0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -1.742,

right = 1.346,

top = 1.270,

bottom = -1.270,

}

},

Right =

{

x = screen.width * 0.5;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

eye_shift = 0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -1.346,

right = 1.742,

top = 1.270,

bottom = -1.270,

}

}

}

UIMainView = {

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width;

height = screen.height;

}

GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = UIMainView

And for large FOV with Pimax5k+ following values:

name = _('Stereo');

Description = 'Stereo render two viewports for left and right eye respectivelly'

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

eye_shift = -0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -2.769231,

right = 1.346154,

top = 1.269841,

bottom = -1.269841,

}

},

Right =

{x = screen.width * 0.5;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

eye_shift = 0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -1.346154,

right = 2.769231,

top = 1.269841,

bottom = -1.269841,

}

}

}

UIMainView = {

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width;

height = screen.height;

}

Save in administrator mode and close.

Note that the stereo.lua editing need to be done after every update of DCS.

For further image quality improvement, I would recommend to increase PD in DCS in small steps, as long as you are fine with the performance of your system/settings.

Edited by - Voight -

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

A small step-by-step guide for better clarity/3-D effect and performance with Pimax5k+:

1.) set in Pitool Render Quality to 1.0 or 1.25

2.) open with an editor the profile.json located in

c:\user\*yourusername*\AppData\Local\Pimax\runtime\profile.json

set the value in line "FOV_outer_adjust_degree" : -2.32

( default value is "10" instead of -2.32 )

save and close the profile.json.

Reboot windows/PC

3.) start SteamVR

if you have set render quality in Pitool at 1.0, steamVR at 30% should now result in a render

resolution of 2560 x 1440. If you have set render quality in Pitool at 1.25, steamvr should now result in a render resolution of 3200 x 1800.

4.) open with an editor in windows administrator mode the ´stereo.lua´ located in

...\DCS\config\MonitorSetup\stereo.lua

exchange the default values with the following ones marked with color for normal FOV with Pimax5k+

name = _('Stereo');

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

eye_shift = -0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -1.742,

right = 1.346,

top = 1.270,

bottom = -1.270,

}

},

Right =

{

x = screen.width * 0.5;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

eye_shift = 0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -1.346,

right = 1.742,

top = 1.270,

bottom = -1.270,

}

}

}

UIMainView = {

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width;

height = screen.height;

}

And for large FOV with Pimax5k+ following values:

name = _('Stereo');

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

eye_shift = -0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -2.769231,

right = 1.346154,

top = 1.269841,

bottom = -1.269841,

}

},

Right =

{x = screen.width * 0.5;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

eye_shift = 0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -1.346154,

right = 2.769231,

top = 1.269841,

bottom = -1.269841,

}

}

}

UIMainView = {

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width;

height = screen.height;

}

Save in administrator mode and close.

Note that the stereo.lua editing need to be done after every update of DCS.

For further image quality improvement, I would recommend to increase PD in DCS in small steps, as long as you are fine with the performance of your system/settings.

Interesting! I love my PIMAX 5k plus will try this but I don't use Steam at all when playing DCS in VR

Interesting! I love my PIMAX 5k plus will try this but I don't use Steam at all when playing DCS in VR

Steam is only needed because you do need SteamVR, but SteamVR does not need to be executed to run the Pimax with DCS, but SteamVR ist still inactively determining the render resolution you´ve configured in SteamVR.

edit: wait... do you mean you don´t have steam or steamVR on your system and run the Pimax natively with DCS? Have never tried if this is possible ...

Edited by - Voight -

My steam VR automatically starts with DCS.

I made the above changes, but no matter what it just would not hold that -2.32 value, it kept going back to 10 every time I started pitool. I made the .json file "read only" after editing it, and for now it's working. Thanks!

Is there a way to fix the stupid bug where I see a cloud with one eye, but not the other?

Moe "Moespeeds" Colontonio

vVMA 231

http://www.vvma-231.com/

Looking for a serious US based Harrier Squadron? We are recruiting!

Hey guys!

Just found out that DCS with the new PiTool .180 beta release is almost unplayable. I am used to something around 45FPS with .144 beta to which I returned.

Anybody else with similar experience?

Cheers!

My System: Full Scale Huey SimPit

-Pit Computer: i7-12700K | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro | 64GB DDR5 RAM | Nvidia RTX3090FE | Kingston KC3000 NVme

- All day use: i7-4790K | 32GB DDR4 RAM | ASRock Z97 Killer | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Oculus Rift | Pimax8KX | Sensoryx VRFree Gloves | X-TAL VR

My steam VR automatically starts with DCS.

I made the above changes, but no matter what it just would not hold that -2.32 value, it kept going back to 10 every time I started pitool. I made the .json file "read only" after editing it, and for now it's working. Thanks!

Is there a way to fix the stupid bug where I see a cloud with one eye, but not the other?

If you go into Pitool under ´Games´ and Import the DCS.exe from the the DCS folder, you should be starting DCS from the desktop icon without steamVR loading.

Maybe after editing the profile.json the setting need to be saved also via Pitool or maybe it is more advisable to edit the profile.json as well in administrator mode... anyway as long as it works everything is fine.

The flickering cloud still appears, but it is not so "often" when the IPD setting in DCS is the same as with the Pimax ... but don´t take this comment as hard fact, it´s more an observation as I had different IPD settings before and the impression of more often flickering clouds and contrails.

@Evilbert the new Pitool beta works fine for me - don´t have this problem.

Hey guys!

Just found out that DCS with the new PiTool .180 beta release is almost unplayable. I am used to something around 45FPS with .144 beta to which I returned.

Anybody else with similar experience?

Cheers!

It looks like you have Smart Smoothing on with the .180 and not with the .144 ?

I have same fps with both version (without SS).

For Pimax users, new version of my mod that allow zooming without PP is here : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242134

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

• 4 weeks later...

3.) start SteamVR

hi

did this and had no real visual impact

maybe because steamVR show a different resolution

pitool 1.25 ,steamVR on 30% it shows 2636x2252 with normal FOV

thats not nearly in the range from you

any idea ?

Just to make sure I totally understand whats going on with Steam VR and the Pimax. This percent slider seems to work differently for everybody because of the different specs of the PCs people have, which seems to be represented in the percent value steam VR shows. But when I set the slider to match 2560x2104 (2104 in my case for normal FOV) I have set it to match the physical resolution of the pimax. So up to 2560x (whatever resulting value) the image clarity rises due to the rising resolution. Every values above 2560 enhances the image quality due to super sampling which is rendering the image at a higher resolution then downsampling it to 2560 and sending it to the pimax. Is that correct what I am saying?

Edited by darkman222

@ariyaner

just read one side back in this thread, where it is described, how to edit the profile.json to get the native resolution or a multiple of it rendered.

Pimax default compositor values are messed up.

@darkman222

the percent slider in SteamVR works differently as long as manual override is not checked under Video settings. Once checked it does the same as the render quality setting in Pitool.

It does not make any difference if you set your render target by SteamVr or Pitool or in combination - what counts is the final render resolution, which could be observed through SteamVR. Pitool does not return the render resolution through Pitool.

The supersampling setting through DCS PD value will not be shown or taken into account for the render resolution set with Pitool/SteamVR. PD through DCS is separated, but you could calculate your render resolution by using the value set with DCS PD as a factor to multiply the render resolution shown through SteamVR.

@ariyaner

just read one side back in this thread, where it is described, how to edit the profile.json to get the native resolution or a multiple of it rendered.

Pimax default compositor values are messed up.

i did it

but still get that strange resolution

whatever - i just turn it back because id had 0 impact

funfact - i can delete stereo.lua and the game still works (without writing a new one ... )

maybe we can compare some steamVR datas ?

actually i have 3164x2704 (1.17 ratio) on normal fov

Edited by ariyaner

have you tried to set a write protection to the profile.json after editing.

Otherwise the edited values return to default. Also a reboot of your system could be advisable to effect SteamVR after editing the profile.json.

Oh yeah, the stereo.lua is a nice one. I guess it was implemented by the developer, when they added VR support to DCS, but it is not really needed for openVR to interact with the HMD´s API.

Anyway, you could easily overwrite some openVR settings with the stereo.lua for DCS, what is a nice thing.

I´ve tried a lot with the stereo.lua, some things work, like changing the aspect ratio, other don´t seem to work, like resolution settings.

I don´t spend more time with it unless some real stuff, like openXR is implemented or Pitool has become open source.

have you tried to set a write protection to the profile.json after editing.

Otherwise the edited values return to default. Also a reboot of your system could be advisable to effect SteamVR after editing the profile.json.

i had to set write protection on the *.json

im not sure about rebooting - i will try it

and you say my steamVR resolution should change after that ?

@voight thanks. They seemed to rename "manual override" to "custom resolution" in the video tab. But basically it seems to do the same as you describe it. There is one last thing I don't understand. No matter what FOV I set in PiTool it never returns the native resolution of the Pimax. Normal FOV gives 2560*2104 per eye. But shouldn't there be a setting which returns the native resolution of 2560*1440 of the pimax?

Last weekend I´ve update SteamVR with the last updates and the resolution went back to its default even with the modified profile.json - that wasn´t the case before, so ariyaner might be right, that it didn´t work for him recently.

Pitool is really far from being optimized for the capabilities of the HMD. I like the 5k+ very much, but the missing optimization in its software ris a misery.

In SteamVR the resolution is in regular a bit off to compensate a range of different IPD settings, but for the P5k+ it is far more off than needed for that.

Anyway, the P5k+ is still great, but could perform much better than with Pitool today.

There is no setting, which returns to its native resolution.

Edit: Just turned on my Simpit and the editing of the profile.json still works - got 2560 x 1440 again with Pitool set to 1.0 ... seems I´ve forgot to reboot the system on saturday :)

Edited by - Voight -