DCS and Pimax

Wags

"rFactor2 Gets a PIMAX UPDATE!

Steam will update rFactor2 today and add Parallel Projections OFF to work in Pitool and rFactor 2

Start the game and your player.json file will update with the lines of code. Change Projection to 1 and supposedly it's up to 25% more efficient graphically now!"

https://www.studio-397.com/2019/06/roadmap-update-june-2019/

"VR Features

We basically added two new things. Support for “IPD” or “World Scale” adjustments, which allow the fine tuning of the distance between the eye cameras in game. Some headsets have hardware controls for this too, but due to popular demand from people in our community we added this as a software feature too. This adjustment allows changing stereo separation strength, which leads to different perception of VR image and in some cases increases comfort. We’ve added key bindings to increase, decrease or even reset the IPD so you can map those and make adjustments while sitting in the cockpit (don’t adjust and drive though!).

The second feature we added is for users of the Pimax (and possibly other similarly constructed headsets). It allows you to enable or disable a specific projection mode that respects the orientation of the displays in the headsets. On the Pimax they are canted. Setting this feature, that for now needs to be changed in the player.json text file, to “1” enables this new option for Pimax. As a side effect, rendering on Pimax becomes roughly 25% more efficient, which is a nice bonus.

Below is an overview of both settings as they appear in your player.json:

"VR IPD Scale": 1,

"VR IPD Scale#": "VR IPD Scale: Adjusts IPD distance

between eyes. 1.0 = default IPD

distance, as reported by the HMD,

below 1.0 = reduce, above 1.0 =

increase",

"VR Projection Mode": 0,

"VR Projection Mode#": "VR Projection Mode: 0 =

default, 1 = not in-plane displays

HMDs",

"

I'm curious it would be possible in DCS also.

I forgot the point of my post, I was going to say that you should pick one or the other, DCS PD or SteamVR.

The is no benefit in running a mix of both, but they do stack and SteamVR comes first.

so if you ran a 1000x1000 display and asked for a steamVR setting of 150% and then a DCS PD of 1.5 you would in fact be doing the following:

1000x1000 = 1000000 pixels +150% = 1500000 pixels

so steam vr asks DCS for a resolution of 1224x1224

then DCS applies a PD of 1.5 so:

1224 X 1.5 = 1836x1836

This is exactly the same as setting Steam VR to 337% just harder to figure out . ;-)

Just curious, how do we know that to be the case - are we sure one doesn't cancel out the other ? I have heard mixed responses, is there a tool that shows that it's running at a certain resolution after everything has been applied to validate this ?

Can you guys direct me to a thread that discusses the weird effect that I am having in my Pimax 5k+? When I look or move offcenter, it pulls the view in and out and looks really weird. Very disorienting. I figure that you guys already know all about this.

Thanks.

i9-9900K 3.6(Running at 5.0 GHZ) 32GB Memory

2x M.2 drives

Win 10 64bit

RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

OCULUS RIFT CV1

VKB Gunfighter 2 extended/TM Pedals/TM Warthog throttles.

Just curious, how do we know that to be the case - are we sure one doesn't cancel out the other ? I have heard mixed responses, is there a tool that shows that it's running at a certain resolution after everything has been applied to validate this ?

Because you can measure the effect in frametime, it is possible to methodically try the different setting and see at what point the two settings have the same effect on performance. They definitely do not cancel each other out.

Valve have specifically stated that their % rating is the % of the total number of pixels. (in fact you can see it in the SteamVR software where it reports the horizontal and vertical resolution along with the %)

I don't think ED have said what PD is multiplying but it follows the form of other games, so it makes sense based on that and the extra performance hit that it is multiplying the resolution axis, not the total number of pixels.

Based on my subjective tests the visual effect is identical when you take this different way of calculating into account.

hope that clarifies?

Edited by Thunderchief2000

Does anybody tested new version of PiTool? How about smoothness in DCS and how new profiles work?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

Don't worry about 90 FPS and not an expert on Pixels, Steam Vr or Pitool etc.etc.I just find where things are best for my rig and go with it. the only thing I know for sure is that the clarity and smoothness of the WWII DCS planes using my 5K+ HMD, since the recent updates, is really-really good!!

i7-7700K, 32GB, GTX 1080Ti, Pimax 5K+, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, MFG Pedals

Edited by fiddlinjim

My mistake then. I'm on holidays. It would be gr8 to see the one on my return.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

New version of PiTool is out:https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/new-pitool-1-0-1-144-is-available-now-from-pimax/20827

This version still seems to have some flaws, but Smart Smoothing is heavily improved. The problem of the warping landscape in turns/rolls is eliminated and rolling is smooth as long as you can maintain stable frames - in my case 32 fps in 64Hz mode.

When fps starts to alter, the warping is back, but that is the same as with the Rift S and ASW.

Still I prefer the Rift S over the Pimax, because of the better sharpness of the Rift and the possibility to run higher settings.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

New version of PiTool is out:https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/new-pitool-1-0-1-144-is-available-now-from-pimax/20827

This version still seems to have some flaws, but Smart Smoothing is heavily improved. The problem of the warping landscape in turns/rolls is eliminated and rolling is smooth as long as you can maintain stable frames - in my case 32 fps in 64Hz mode.

When fps starts to alter, the warping is back, but that is the same as with the Rift S and ASW.

Still I prefer the Rift S over the Pimax, because of the better sharpness of the Rift and the possibility to run higher settings.

Ahh, wonder if that is what made me sick when I landed on the carrier, the warping landscape.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Does anyone have problem with flickering textures on the ground in night conditions? Especially where the cities with light are. Ive got last Nvidia drivers and last beta Pitool. (very noticeable in quick action with Huey - night flight)

Switching to CV1 and everything is OK. Strange...

Ok I have found solution. Parallel projection must be unchecked in pitool. I didn't expect that DCS team will handle that ;) Nice

New problem. Installed the latest version of pitool. Now, when i opt to wait to start room setup as i have no base station, i get the message "place the helmet in the visible,,,,,etc"

So, now the 5+ requires a base station to work.

Anyone know how to make the headset use the built in gyro instead ?

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

DCS at 45fps(smoothing) in a 5k+ is unplayable for me. In straight&level it's fine, even looking around cockpit, but as soon as I roll the judders from smoothing are just completely game breaking. Any suggestions on how to address this?

Specs seems like they'd be good enough lol: 9900K 5.0/RTX2080Ti oced/ 32GB RAM etc etc....

Settings: Mostly low or Off other than cockpit textures HIGH. SS 1.0/PiTOOL 1.0

New problem. Installed the latest version of pitool. Now, when i opt to wait to start room setup as i have no base station, i get the message "place the helmet in the visible,,,,,etc"

So, now the 5+ requires a base station to work.

Anyone know how to make the headset use the built in gyro instead ?

Maybe try to uncheck base tracking?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G390F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Smoothig never be as good as 90fps... buy better hardware ;)

Smoothig never be as good as 90fps... buy better hardware ;)

Don't know if you're referring to my post, but I'm not sure what else I can buy that's faster.... Please tell me lol. I understand that smoothing won't be as good, but it's REALLY BAD right now. I've used Vive/Vive Pro, and Rift prior to the pimax and don't ever remember the judder to be THIS bad.... I think something else is going on is what I'm saying. No way people play like this...

I play with smoothing in 32 fps... but mostly with my squad of Mi8's so everything is slower than in a plane. Pimax is not there with their software, but make nice progress. Maybe we have to wait for 4080ti or some more optimizations by DCS team. Try also last beta pitool.

I agree, the Pitool software is still pretty green but they are working on it and the move to open source can lead to good things in the future. After some considerable experimentation I find that I can run very smoothly with high settings and get a rock solid 36 fps, equating to the 72 Hz setting in Pitool, with large FOV. It's a very satisfying experience. I recently played around with the vertical offset and that improved clarity significantly for me, especially guages and instruments.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

I recently played around with the vertical offset and that improved clarity significantly for me, especially guages and instruments.

How do you adjust vertical offset? What values worked best for you ?

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The vertical offset slider is just one of the parameters you can change on the two pages of the Pitool software which contain settings, similarly you can change brightness and contrast which I also did. I put in a value of +2 on the vertical offset and this seems to move the sweetspot more into the area where you want it, ie around the cockpit guages.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

The vertical offset slider is just one of the parameters you can change on the two pages of the Pitool software which contain settings, similarly you can change brightness and contrast which I also did. I put in a value of +2 on the vertical offset and this seems to move the sweetspot more into the area where you want it, ie around the cockpit guages.

That´s a very individual option to adjust with the new Pitool version, i think.

Still am wondering about, why Pimax always separate their options from left to right eye?

Like brightness etc. is also separated from left to right eye ... the separation would be a funny feature for chameleons, but humans?

With vertical offset the viewport could be adjusted more precisely on how the headset is individually fixed on the face by wearing, by moving the viewport vertically, to maintain the natural focus line in VR when looking straight ahead, the viewport in VR should show accordingly and not off set.... nice little feature.

Meanwhile I´ve set Pimax to ´normal´ FOV, to save some more performance - the difference between Large and Normal is really not so much and looking forward to a new VR headset, the FOV will be less than Pimax large FOV anyway.

Adjusting the viewport angles in DCS´ stereo.lua to large- or normal-FOV tangent space of the Pimax gives me more the impression of an improved image quality, than vertical offset adjustment.

Would be also interesting with which FOV the new Vive Cosmos will come. I like very much the idea of an internal ventilation system of the Cosmos, as I always have problems with misted lenses after some time of wearing.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis