DCS and Pimax

Wags

Thought I would throw some positive vibes out here for backers...There has been talk of the not making 90hz and settling at 80hz and that there may be issues with that ..... SweViver posted this in code because of the NDS :smilewink: :thumbup:

[–]SweViver 3 points 7 hours ago

My grandmother is 90 and my grandfather is 80 but they are equally happy despite the age difference. Don't get blind by numbers.

[–]SweViver 1 point 51 minutes ago

So far 3 of my "family members" have no issues with vr sickness because of the age. And they cant see the age difference either... Just let it sink down mate ;)

Edited by Hellcat

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I thought the fact they were settling on 80 hz has been known for a while?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I thought the fact they were settling on 80 hz has been known for a while?

It is still not the final product and even if it is this 80/90Hz issue could be fixed later with a software upgrade.

80Hz is proven stable and that is the reason why it is right now locked on 80Hz. Devs continuing to find the solution for stable 90Hz but this 90Hz is no reason to stop the project in other fields. Thet will be waste of time and unwanted delay. If 80Hz show OK it is possible even to lunch consumer version before this 90Hz stabilized.

Thet is why this testing on 80Hz is important.

But how many of us are getting 90 FPS now? My counter rests solidly on 45 FPS. Is 90 some scientifically proven value or is it just an arbitrary number that someone pick at some point in time? IDK...

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

But how many of us are getting 90 FPS now? My counter rests solidly on 45 FPS. Is 90 some scientifically proven value or is it just an arbitrary number that someone pick at some point in time? IDK...

90Hz

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

90Hz

90Hz = a maximum of 90fps, does it not?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

90Hz = a maximum of 90fps, does it not?

Ehhh, not necessarily, it's the same reason you can see the difference on a 60 HZ monitor between 60 FPS and 100 FPS... they aren't totally in sync. Gsync helps a lot here because it syncs the GPU FPS to the monitor HZ.

At least I think that's how it works, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

As I understand it, technically speaking, you cannot see more than 60 fps on a 60hz monitor. If vsync is disabled, your graphics card can obviously produce more fps, but you won't actually see more frames output on the screen.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

As I understand it, technically speaking, you cannot see more than 60 fps on a 60hz monitor. If vsync is disabled, your graphics card can obviously produce more fps, but you won't actually see more frames output on the screen.

Correct, but there is a noticeable difference:

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Correct, but there is a noticeable difference:

It is normal because all FPS which is dividable by 60 is without stuttering or tearing and you feel smoothness in move even if you see only 60 FPS.

So 120, 180, 240 and 300 fps works perfectly even if you see every second, third, forth or fifth frame.

New Kickstarter Update!

Founder Annoucement

Posted by Pimax 8K VR (Creator)

Hi Futurists,

We are thrilled the development of Pimax 8K moves to the last stage!

As we are the first team that working on the next generation headset for the consumer market, we have encountered lots of challenges and difficulties. The challenges for us are also the challenges for the VR industry. Luckily enough, we have a community that supports us with lots of patience, encouragement, criticism, and suggestions. We have been spending almost two years on the project, a big thank you to backers, VR enthusiasts, gamers, and partners that are always standing by our side. We are confident the efforts and waiting are worthwhile.

Besides industrial challenges, it's also challenging to deliver a product for VR enthusiasts worldwide, but we have faith in our community. We believe your feedback is crucial.

To learn from the backers to further improve the final version of Pimax 8K, we have initiated a closed beta for our backer community. So far, nine trusted community leaders, professional reviewers, and VR enthusiast groups have involved in the M1 closed beta. A beta test phase such as the one with M1 is unprecedented in its scale and scrutiny for a VR crowdfunding project.

We have collected lots of valuable feedback from our M1 testers and backers, it helps us to address the issues related to user experience in general, the vast subset of physical features, and user habits in different countries/regions. We want to make sure that our enthusiastic backers can join us to deliver the best possible Pimax 8K, which will eventually be launched commercially as well as well in advance to you, our loyal backers.

TIMELINE

Since January, the critical paths of Pimax 8K project were the optics optimization and tracking solutions upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0.

We have delivered three iterations of the lens design, each iteration means additional time and resources. Now we are happy with the hardware and progressively speeding up the software fine-tuning process to improve visual quality. Based on the feedback from backers and users, we decided to offer software options for both 200 degrees and 170 degrees FOV. i.e. You will be free to pick a FOV option before launching each content based on your preference and graphics cards capability.

Worth to mention the tracking upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0: we have been developing and testing the 1.0 tracking solution since last year. During Kickstarter campaign, we are uncertain about 2.0 tracking solution because the solution was not commercialized at that time. The big quantity commercial chips for 2.0 tracking were not available until March.

However, many users and backer expressed their expectations of the direct upgrade from 1.0 tracking to 2.0 tracking. We believe the upgrade is reasonable and beneficial to the final product. Thus, even it requires extra workload and whole project delays to change the design from 1.0 to 2.0, we still spent more resources and time since March to redesign and test the hardware structure and software fine-tuning for the 2.0 tracking until today. We have made a lot of breakthroughs during the process. The experiences we accumulated during the upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0 will be adopted to Pimax controllers as well, that will speed up the development and reduce the time to deliver the Pimax controllers.

Now we are confident and happy to announce the Pimax 8K can deliver 2.0 tracking solution that performs as good as 1.0 tracking and par with vive pro tracking. We will deliver the HMD to you with 2.0 tracking solution, i.e. you will be able to enjoy the newest innovation in lighthouse tracking with Pimax 8K.

* The single base station solution we shared in the previous update was an experiment. The two base station solution is the primary tracking solution.

To sum up the status of the headset:

- We are now at the hardware mass production stage, and we will tweak the ergonomics with accessories;

- Meanwhile, we are working on software fine-tuning for better performance and virtual quality;

- The user interface requires intensive improvements as well.

PROJECT PRIORITIES

The headset is still the top priority, and then controllers.

The priority of the headset project is to improve performance with the current graphics card, and software fine tuning with the new lenses.

Some of the team members are working closely with our partners in the states for better performance. Thanks to our partners including NVIDIA, AMD, and the M1 testers!

Pimax is a typical team with engineer culture, we are conservatives, all of our confidence comes from the performance of the products we create. We cannot give any answer until we have the confirmed ones.

Due to the hardware bottlenecks, the project team, manufacturing team, user experience team, and part of the software team have to wait until recently. The obstacles that prevent us from mass production have been eliminated last week, thus the whole project now can move on with full speed towards Kickstarter delivery. The team works 11 hours per day, 6 days per week to speed up the iterations.

While we are working on UX and software fine tuning together with M1 beta testers, we are preparing the production line as well. There are key parts for 1K sets of headsets ready in the factory already. The graphic below summarized our next step plan. We will keep you updated on the progress.

Before we meet your expectations of the final consumer version, we can already meet the expectations of some business clients with the current model. We will soon make a business version available as well. Business edition will be distinguished from consumer version in color and accessories.

For the past couple of months, we have learned a lot from our community, and the community grows a lot as well, attracting more and more idealists enthusiasts and is becoming a hub of VR.

The mission of Pimax team is to provide the most immersive VR experience for the niche enthusiasts market. We prefer not to wait until the VR industry and mass market ready for the premium VR experience, but rather, we would love to serve the VR enthusiasts niche and enjoy the process of creating with all the fails and trials. Hopefully, we can stimulate the VR industry to move faster for bigger FOV and higher resolution VR that expected by VR futurists all around the world.

Sincerely thanks to all the Pimax backers.

Best Regards,

Robin Weng

Founder of Pimax VR

There is two major things you can expect soon.

First Pimax8K working well and they going to mass production. So this beta testers are mostly VR enthusiast connected with public media so we could expect lift of the NDA and they could finally show us their impressions.

Also other major issue is software capability to reducing 200FOV to 170 with intention to reduce need for higher hardware needs in some titles, like for example is DCS. lower FOV is lower number of pixels needed to be rendered.

This is good possibility for consumers to make some compromise with performance and details.

Also other major issue is software capability to reducing 200FOV to 170 with intention to reduce need for higher hardware needs in some titles, like for example is DCS. lower FOV is lower number of pixels needed to be rendered.

This is good possibility for consumers to make some compromise with performance and details.

Sweviver kind of hinted (using another brand hmd for the example) at the gtx 1070 being an acceptable minimum for only some VR titles. Certainly the ability to dial back to 170 fov will be of benefit for those who have lower end cards. Even with a 1080ti there are compromises so it will be interesting to see how DCS performs on these 2 settings. He did say he was testing using both cards.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

• 2 weeks later...

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

That proves nothing

But it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

edit: The article's been updated since this morning. Anyone who hasn't checked back on it, may want to do so.

Edited by cordite

But it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

edit: The article's been updated since this morning. Anyone who hasn't checked back on it, may want to do so.

The reason it was sent to testers was to get feedback from "TESTING" ...they already sent new unit's back to them after recommendations .....This tells me their trying to correct issues the testers are finding before finalizing...

I seriously doubt they will put out a final product that all the testers believe has serious issues....I could be wrong but I'll remain positive...

UPDATED

Update (July 13, 2018 – 11:58AM PT): Two of the Pimax M1 beta testers, VoodooDE and SweViver, have chimed in on the Reddit thread with the leaked information saying that many of the issues highlighted by the testers in the leak have been addressed:

VoodooDE: Guys, don’t believe that. It’s a very old leak of my forum post and I can confirm that many of the issues have been fixed until now.

SweViver: I’m 100% confident Pimax 8K is replacing my other VR headets very soon :) In fact its the only headset Ive been using since I got the m1. The majority of these issues are now fixed btw. Don’t panic… A full review and daily testings will be soon up on my channel.

Relax Gents :drink:

About the Pimax 8K m1 "leaks" - from a beta testers perspective self.Pimax

submitted 6 hours ago by SweViver

About the Pimax 8K m1 testing leaks: I can confirm most of the leaked issues are already fixed almost a week ago. Those leaked posts are relatively old now, and tons of daily work and effort has been put into testing, addressing and resolving all hardware and software issues the last 3-4 weeks. In fact, you wont imagine how much can be done in just a few weeks.

Im daily spending between 6-12 hours with the 8K m1 headset doing in-depth software testings, and after hundreds and hundreds of hours in the wide FOV virtual reality by now, I'm very happy with the progress.

Today, I'm already now 100% confident the Pimax 8K will replace all my other VR headsets upon launch. No doubt. Since a month back, its the only headset I prefer to use despite not even being finished. If I'm not worried, then you shouldn't worry either. We have something awesome coming here, trust me.

Stay tuned for the full m1 testing results and final Pimax 8K reviews, benchmarks, gameplays, comparisons and in-depth analysis all coming to my channel, as soon as Im allowed to publish all info, which should be soon!

And don't panic. Thats what the person who made and leaked these screenshots wants you to.

Enjoy your weekend all! Cheers

Another thing of note is the real world requirements for GPU to run this thing. On my 1080, I expect to have to run it with reduced FOV in DCS.

I also see they have some issues with rendering darkness and colors. DCS applies filters and hues to render effects of natural light. Perhaps it is possible to give VR users more options to turn them off to improve image clarity.

An example of this is the HUD on the F-18, it consist of 2 layers, and on my Pimax 4k it gets to be to dark in less optimal lighting conditions. (attacking a ground target in shadow is most pronounced)

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

An example of this is the HUD on the F-18, it consist of 2 layers, and on my Pimax 4k it gets to be to dark in less optimal lighting conditions. (attacking a ground target in shadow is most pronounced)

If you search the forums, someone made a mod that has a more realistic tint and it doesn't get flagged in multiplayer.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate