DCS World Guide for All things VR

Jabbers_

• 5 weeks later...
Your monitor resolution has nothing to do with VR.nor what is displayed in the mirror as far as a I know?

That's not exactly true. If you have a 1080p monitor then the max height of the mirror regardless of the resolution inside the HMD will be 1080p. However, if you have a 4k monitor, and super it will be 2160 height (assuming the resolution of the HMD is 2160 or higher. Now, if you add Pixel Density to this, you can get even higher. As example, I use to turn a 4k monitor to portrait, throw the mirror to that screen and have my PD set to 1.6 or higher. This mean I had a desktop mirror at over 4k pixels height. Using OBS I would downsample this to 1440p and the clarity is unreal, better than some stock 1440p resolution videos out there.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I'm about to get a VR headset (and guidance elsewhere in this forum is pointing at HP Reverb G2)

What I was thinking was that I would use it as a general video-watching device (like for audio people use headphones when they want to listen privately). That way I can watch (in monoscopic as opposed to stereoscopic vision) my video while my wife watches the house TV.

I've been reading a lot about having to use Steam and such to run VR with DCSWorld. Does this mean it's not possible to use the VR headset for ordinary computer video-watching?

BTW, is there anything (on these forums or out there on the Big Wide Web) that describes what you have to do to use this gear, like, from opening the box to enjoying your flying?

Cheers

Rig A: (New in 2019) Custom-built: ASUS Maximus Code XI; Water-cooled i7-8700K; 32 GB RAM; 2xSSD=970 EVO 500GB; Graphics Card = EVGA RTX 2080 (FTW3 Ultra); Thrustmaster Warthog; Saitek Rudder; Tracking Headset.

Rig B: Surface Book (Intel Core i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz; 16GB DDR3 RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GPU(1GB-RAM); 500GB SSD) Saitek 35x Joystick & Throttle

Rig C: Alienware M17X-R2 (Intel Core i7 Q820 CPU@1.73GHz; 8GB DDR3 RAM; Twin AMD HD5800 Radeon GPUs (1 GB RAM each); 500GB SSD + 500GB HD)

Hi All

I'm about to get a VR headset (and guidance elsewhere in this forum is pointing at HP Reverb G2)

What I was thinking was that I would use it as a general video-watching device (like for audio people use headphones when they want to listen privately). That way I can watch (in monoscopic as opposed to stereoscopic vision) my video while my wife watches the house TV.

I've been reading a lot about having to use Steam and such to run VR with DCSWorld. Does this mean it's not possible to use the VR headset for ordinary computer video-watching?

BTW, is there anything (on these forums or out there on the Big Wide Web) that describes what you have to do to use this gear, like, from opening the box to enjoying your flying?

Cheers

What you want to do will work just fine.

There are video watching apps that work well, like Big Screen.

Work with both monoscopic and stereoscopic.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi All

Cheers

In steam there is an option to have your computer desktop on screen.

Of course with my old HTC Vive the resolution is not good enough to use it often.

So you can do that, with dedicated apps to watch videos, like windscreen for instance, or whirlwind, or just by showing your computer desktop to watch youtube.

Just wonder why you want to do that. To not disturb your wife with the light of your screen? Don't forget to turn off your screen then.

But yes this is doable.

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

• 3 months later...
On 8/29/2020 at 10:10 PM, harf4ng said:

Just wonder why you want to do that. To not disturb your wife with the light of your screen? Don't forget to turn off your screen then.

This could also be to be able to watch movies in 3D, or movies on a giant screen 🙂

But to do that better have a headset with a good resolution. I dropped the idea with my old HTC Vive, resolution is not good enough, but with my new Quest 2 this is something I plan to do...

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

9 hours ago, harf4ng said:

This could also be to be able to watch movies in 3D, or movies on a giant screen 🙂

But to do that better have a headset with a good resolution. I dropped the idea with my old HTC Vive, resolution is not good enough, but with my new Quest 2 this is something I plan to do...

So now I've got my Reverb G2 and it's all wonderful ! (more on that in a more pertinent thread).

I found that if I use "Film and TV" from the pop-up "Start Window" in the WMR "House", I can watch my MP4 videos in 360-degree mode !  This is good, but it's much too big and close up.  I'm looking for a way to zoom out.  Anybody got any ideas (or hard info) on the ability to zoom out at the "Reverb G2" general-use level? I've got some ability to zoom inside DCS cockpit views, but I need it outside of DCS.  I've searched the WWWeb, but most of the finds are about the ZOOM conferencing software!

• Like 1

Rig A: (New in 2019) Custom-built: ASUS Maximus Code XI; Water-cooled i7-8700K; 32 GB RAM; 2xSSD=970 EVO 500GB; Graphics Card = EVGA RTX 2080 (FTW3 Ultra); Thrustmaster Warthog; Saitek Rudder; Tracking Headset.

Rig B: Surface Book (Intel Core i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz; 16GB DDR3 RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GPU(1GB-RAM); 500GB SSD) Saitek 35x Joystick & Throttle

Rig C: Alienware M17X-R2 (Intel Core i7 Q820 CPU@1.73GHz; 8GB DDR3 RAM; Twin AMD HD5800 Radeon GPUs (1 GB RAM each); 500GB SSD + 500GB HD)

• 1 year later...

Jabbers, thanks for your video on ss vs pd, that's some solid content. Which is good cuz I'm migrating from rift s to reverb sometime in the next few weeks. 

Just to clarify --

--  Under steam VR general settings -- setting resolution to 100% allows SVR to oversample at 140% so as not to lose data in barrel transform. Lowering that is really bad.

-- Under video settings, resolution is how much supersampling is applied to all apps (as anti-aliasing)

-- Under "per app" settings, resolution is supersampling applied on top of the prior two settings.  Best variable to manipulate. 

-- DCS PD them would be a fourth pass essentially and is best held constant at 1.0.

Yes? No? Close?

Question: in WMR4SVR settings, is there *another* opportunity to set per-app resolution? Or am I misreading the instructions

Granted, my plan is to set everything at 100% or 1.0 and hope for the best... 

5600x, 6900XT, 32GB and fresh install of everything including Win10

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Jabbers, thanks for your video on ss vs pd, that's some solid content. Which is good cuz I'm migrating from rift s to reverb sometime in the next few weeks. 
Just to clarify --
--  Under steam VR general settings -- setting resolution to 100% allows SVR to oversample at 140% so as not to lose data in barrel transform. Lowering that is really bad.
-- Under video settings, resolution is how much supersampling is applied to all apps (as anti-aliasing)
-- Under "per app" settings, resolution is supersampling applied on top of the prior two settings.  Best variable to manipulate. 
-- DCS PD them would be a fourth pass essentially and is best held constant at 1.0.
Yes? No? Close?
Question: in WMR4SVR settings, is there *another* opportunity to set per-app resolution? Or am I misreading the instructions
Granted, my plan is to set everything at 100% or 1.0 and hope for the best... 
5600x, 6900XT, 32GB and fresh install of everything including Win10

Start off with SteamVR at 50% and PD of 1.0 then go up from there. I have the same hardware, except 64 gigs of RAM, and that's where I put my settings. Then the in game settings can be high and everything is smooth as butter and beautiful to look at. Reverb G2 headset.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Brand new 8 core 11th gen Pentium, 32 gb ram, ssd, gtx2080.
WMR
Samsung O+

************ Runs everything including FS2020 on high to Ultimate and Smoooooooooooooooooooooth in BEUTIFUL VR. 

But not DCS VR. for the super-majority of invested players, VERY poor performance and visuals.

It was said today in these forums that most people with settings tweaks get good VR. This is not true. Not at all. That is NOT reality for most at all. Some do, MOST certainly do not. When one LISTENS to online MP and posts and reviews and chatter one sees that most DCS VR players definitely do NOT get good performance or beauty in DCS Vr.
Same here. Same going into the 5th year of no hope.
Kaleidoscope vision.
Dirty Beer goggles.
LOWEST settings possible just to achieve the 60fps for the 60hz settings but, and I know that these words have never been heard before, but STUTTERS, stutters, stutters.

Now, no more wasted words about ongoing efforts to improve yadda yadda. That is political speak not specific or promising for anything. That is a copy/paste party line for years now and zero results from it. We all know this is not the case. The published ED roadmaps are all about jets and maps and maybe someday the 2018-2019 often discussed vulkan and multicore could happen. As I mentioned in my 2 banned threads as well as today's LOCKED thread, that was 4 years ago. DCS VR does NOT run better today, not even on my new wonder rig. It looks prettier today, that is not performance or optimization. Pretty and a lagfest sucks. It is not worth waiting 4 more years for nothing but worse or same.

So, lets all be mature about this and stop misdirecting everyone about rigs, balancing and settings. Turning diehards against those that see may deflect but it solves zilch.

Ed needs to listen to those of us VR investors whose wallets have been harder and harder to open these last few years. The updates and patches have NOT been kind to VR. None of us VR flyers have benefitted these last 3 to 4 years patches for pancake players and pretty videos and of not even being on the backburner of any roadmap since prior to 2018.

>IF< the future of flight sims is indeed VR as ED admitted in video 3 months ago, then it may not be DCS leading that future as things are right now, if it continues to turn a blind eye and deaf ear to the #1 complaint and request of VR INVESTORS. And we here are only the tip of the iceberg. Most have long since thrown in the towel on DCS VR and ragequit. I know of 23 right now who have uninstalled DCS for over 8 months in disgust. I am sure the numbers are not skyrocketing these days the way it would be hoped for. I listen to the community and I am the community. ED needs to listen too.

Myself, not one more U$D until DCS VR is fixed and can run like other flight sims are already running on beautiful rigs like mine. If that means no updates for DCS VR for the 5th year in a row on into 2023 then that means no money from me this year. Again. And it ain't just me. And someone at ED surely can see this without me I am sure.

Lowest settings are not acceptable.
Blaming customers' rigs and settings no longer acceptable or believable.
Ignoring that VR is barely functioning going into the 5th year is not acceptable.
Focus on payware and not the #1 requested, complained about and MUCH needed VR optimizations in roadmaps 5 years running is not acceptable.

Locking threads & CENSORSHIP is not acceptable.
Blaming dwindling sales and waning interest in DCS &/or VR on ANYTHING but garbage VR performance and lack of prioritizing optimizing this wonderful but ancient code is no longer acceptable. It simply is not to be believed that VR has not been improved going into year 5 now. How can this be joked about here today?

ED will always have a few diehards that will turn on anyone who dares to disagree with the party line and talking points. For ED's sake, I hope they have enough $$ to keep DCS fed and clothed while everyone else continues to read the writing on the wall and throw in the towel. I don't want to at all, but I already just reinstalled after a 9 month break from this nonsence.
Thought I would try again on a brand new rig. But it AIN'T the rigs that ruins this. It is not the players either.

ED, DCS VR performance is not acceptable. Not for years now. Most say this yet nothing makes it better or puts it on the stove. Since it ain't on the stove for ED, Ed is off the stove with me again. And more and more are abandoning ship. 

IF ED wants to RECLAIM its share of the established market that had enough and bailed then they need to TURN FOCUS finally to the #1 requested and complained about thing in VR and that is fixing the extremely poor performance and visuals.

If you all cannot hear this after multitudes of people saying it going into year 5 of VERY poor VR for the majority, then there is no hope for years 6-10. Sure hope you turn things around ED. Can lead a horse to water, but you can't force them to listen to the investors and optimize the decades old code for today's multicore PC's. I sure hope there comes along some good horse whisperer to drive this home. I sure like a happy ending. We all want to LOVE LOVE LOVE this sim. 

• Like 5

On 1/5/2022 at 4:09 AM, Flarpt said:

************ Runs everything including FS2020 on high to Ultimate and Smoooooooooooooooooooooth in BEUTIFUL VR. 

Interesting. Last time I checked, VR performance in MSFS2020 was much worse than in DCS for me.
I guess, I´ll have to give it another go...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dear Flarpt,

Men you are bitter.  What are your expectations? I do agree that visually, VR is not as crisp and clear as pancake mode but the real culprit here is the hardware.  When you look at a monitor, your viewing window is horizontally about 60 degrees with a lot of pixels compared to what you see in you HMD.  Last time I made some calculations, it required something like 6.5k panel for each eye for a field of view of 120 degrees ln your HMD to match visual detail of a 4k screen.  The day we have HMD with the same amount of pixel density as looking at a 4k monitor 2 feet away, then the quality of the rendering within the HMD will be good. This is, though, half the problem.  The second part is the cpu/gpu being able to generate two 6.5k images 60 times a second at least.  The hardware is not available yet.

VR is for now, a compromise to get more immersion at the expense of frame rates and visual quality.  For me, the compromise is acceptable and I will never go back to pancake.

• Like 6

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

I understand the sentiment and also continuously have to tinker with my settings and mods after each update to get the best performance out of my VR rig. Being fortunate enough to have quite a decent setup. I should not complain.

Having said that, I am hopeful there will be some real VR optimizations coming soon, because I would really like to be able to turn up those eye-candy details, which right now are set quite low, just to get smooth performance.

• Like 1

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

4 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Oh yes.. MSFS isn't nearly as good/smooth in VR as DCS.

Well. It is and it is not. I would say it is just different from DCS. Like apples and oranges type of deal. I get good fps with decent VR settings on MSFS as well. There are so many variables and tinkering to do with both to get improvement. It is rewarding thou.

3 hours ago, Baltic Pirate said:

Well. It is and it is not. I would say it is just different from DCS. Like apples and oranges type of deal. I get good fps with decent VR settings on MSFS as well. There are so many variables and tinkering to do with both to get improvement. It is rewarding thou.

For MSFS 2020 I actually prefer using the Reverb G2, as I can use Open XR with it along with Open XR Developer Tools for WMR to give a nice smooth experience. For DCS I prefer my Vive Pro 2.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

8 hours ago, dburne said:

For MSFS 2020 I actually prefer using the Reverb G2, as I can use Open XR with it along with Open XR Developer Tools for WMR to give a nice smooth experience. For DCS I prefer my Vive Pro 2.

Sadly I only have the G2. It is my first experience in VR. That said, I am looking into the Aero. Spoke with them yesterday, they are working on the issues currently troubling use with DCS.

I wouldn't call Flaprt bitter, a lot of what he said has some truths in it, he is expresing his opion after coming back to DCS with a new rig and spending lots of $$$ for it

On the best rig possible today DCS VR is still a constant battle for FPS between the different maps and planes with Marianas being the most abysmal FPS in VR of any map DCS has.

However if you want to compromise DCS visuals and tweak you can find suitable setting until the next patch when that circus starts again.

well, he's right in his own regard.. I mean, everyone on this forum is right, just like a broken/stopped analog clock that's correct twice a day.

personally, the drawbacks of a lower technical performance in VR are outweighed by the technical immersion of the AC's I fly.

- If you want eye candy: go for MSFS, Il2, WT

- if you want to experience the prowess of a technical, albeit virtual, mechanical flying machine then there's no substitute for DCS.

In DCS VR I know I'm flying and sitting inside a mechanical beast.

In all other sims I'm inside a shell with smoke and mirrors.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I must have got lucky on my hardware because my VR is crisp and smooth and I don’t use any mods what so ever. Could it be better ? Well of course it can. I’m still eating beans and Winnie’s but I have absolutely no gripes about DCS and VR.

none !

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Also an rtx 2080 or equivalent  is not gonna cut it in VR/DCS. Especially with a G2. That’s my experience with my other rig with a 2080Super. I needed more VR horsepower that would run high settings. My investment in a new rig with a 3090 made a huge impact along with prescription lenses for my G2. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

1 hour ago, Burt said:

Also an rtx 2080 or equivalent  is not gonna cut it in VR/DCS. Especially with a G2. That’s my experience with my other rig with a 2080Super. I needed more VR horsepower that would run high settings. My investment in a new rig with a 3090 made a huge impact along with prescription lenses for my G2. 

I would say that’s a pretty subjective observation. I have no problems running DCS in VR (rift s) with a vega64 (equivalent to Gtx1080). You just have to have the proper expectation of graphics and frame rate. 40 fps is perfectly flyable 

• Like 2

If only the cockpit wouldnt become completetly unreadable in DCS, low res could be at least a temporary solution to the lack of VR performance. Unrealistic cockpit fonts and writtings, tho readable in low res, is a no brainer trade off I that would accept.

• Thanks 1

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png