2.5 Explosion effects

Raven68

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
Can't read through it all, but any words on fragments damage?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

No, this is purely a W.I.P look at the explosion effects.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

BIG improvement over the actual ones!!!:thumbup:

Hope during the WiP period they add more fire effect, longer dust disipation time (I would like something like 3 or 5 minutes for some explosions) and especially something I think is KEY to make them look great is CASTING SHADOWS for the smoke column!, that's what gives the sense of height and determines with precision where the explosion happened.

Overall going in the right direction imo!:)

+1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Absolutely amazed by these new effects!!! Any chance we could see what they look like at night? I'd love to see some real fireworks :)

Come fly with me, lets fly, lets fly away! -Sinatra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Specs: Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860m (2GB), i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram. Corsair K70(MX Blues are awesome!), Benq GW2760HS monitor, Steelseries V3 Prism headset, TM Warthog Hotas, Sidewinder FFB2 W/ FLCS grip, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR5, KW-908 Jetseat

I tested in the sim last night, bombing a transport truck, the truck burned and smoked for a half hour before I got bored and exited the sim. I dont see an issue there.

i'm really looking forward to the new effects. they look fantastic.

i hope that maybe at some later point indevelopment we will see different types of smoke, depending on unit type and maybe damage type. for example a fuel truck would burn longer and produce huge amount of smoke, while a modern apc might get taken out by a clean hit, disabling hit without bursting in flames.

this would need some more sophisticated damage simulation on ground units to determine what kind of damage is done. f.e. 3 different types of kills: crew/systems kill, ammo explosion, engine/fuel-system fire)...

maybe that could be done at some point in the future...dcs 3.0 or something... ;)

I assume the question of damage modeling could be taken care of separately when the new damage system is implemented

The upcoming damage modeling is for the WWII aircraft only. The new damage system will not be implemented to jets because it's not nearly as important as it is for WWII aircraft.

I haven't seen word of the MiG-15bis and F-86F though...

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

• ED Team
The upcoming damage modeling is for the WWII aircraft only. The new damage system will not be implemented to jets because it's not nearly as important as it is for WWII aircraft.

I haven't seen word of the MiG-15bis and F-86F though...

Initially its only for WWII aircraft, but I believe it will be expanded beyond that. It makes no sense to have a awesome new damage model and in implement it on new modules of any type. Least that is my opinion.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Well, I say "WWII aircraft only (plus F86 and MiG15bis?)" because last I checked, ED said that the reason they were going to only have the new damage system for WWII was because in other aircraft, the way damage was normally distributed was accurate enough for say, getting broadsided by an R-27. You were hit, you were done. Or if you survived, the damage was still shown and implemented in all the right places. There weren't many if any more variables that could be added to the damage modeling. And if it came to a gun fight, those 30mm pierced you no matter what, and you lost wings.

I don't own either an F-86F or a MiG-15bis, but I think those aircraft are all guns. Damage system should probably be added to those two.

However, I may not be up to date, and maybe things have changed. Possibly ED decided "heck" and pressed it forwards to more to-day modules. All this above is what I learned last I checked, which was in a long Q&A video with Matt Wagner and some other guy in the Normandy map. Sidestrafe, maybe? Anyways, maybe things have changed since.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

I want more of them then.

I'm still waiting for those dust effects for Normandy's taxiways and runways!

Explosions look wonderful, but should we get an improved shockwave, or none at all, or? But these WIP explosions look, dare-I-say-it, gorgeous!

Will blast effects and bombs radius effects be improved?

Hopefully :thumbup:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

I want more of them then.

I'm still waiting for those dust effects for Normandy's taxiways and runways!

Explosions look wonderful, but should we get an improved shockwave, or none at all, or? But these WIP explosions look, dare-I-say-it, gorgeous!

I believe they will use this tech to develope also the clouds, right?...if thats true, it makes me wonder why not using it also for other smoke effects like those dust trails you are talking about?, Even wonder if the tech would be able to introduce some kind of vorticity to the smoke so it can represent the vortex behind the wind flow of a/cs...

Take a look at my MODS here

I believe they will use this tech to develope also the clouds, right?...if thats true, it makes me wonder why not using it also for other smoke effects like those dust trails you are talking about?, Even wonder if the tech would be able to introduce some kind of vorticity to the smoke so it can represent the vortex behind the wind flow of a/cs...

If you look carefully you will notice that there are already new clouds on last Caucasus 2.5 comparison shots! I am really looking forward to get my hands on it :D

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

:thumbup: Would be nice if the clouds of smoke could cast the shadows one the ground and surrounding area.

Looking great so far :thumbup: Although, is it just me or do the explosions seem too 'light'? Maybe some good sound effects will change that? Either way, these look great for WIP explosions (even release explosions)! Can't wait for 2.5! :lol:

I fly DCS & Falcon BMS regularly. :pilotfly:

Safe flying to you! :joystick:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like to be the rain cloud here but a lot of folks already mentioned that this stuff doesn't come for free as far as computing resources are concerned.

Explosion shadows should be, by their very nature Much more complex to generate then a simple relatively static 'floating' cloud.

There's nothing wrong with wanting more but there is some point where you have to be happy without making a additional huge investment for processing power.

My system is fairly up to date with a overclocked i7 running @ 4.7 Ghz 16 GB DDR4 ram and a nvidia 1080 GPU with 6 GB ram.

This system is quickly falling behind, I do have a motherboard that's Kaby Lake so I may still have room for a better CPU.

With this setup I think it will struggle a bit if you get everything you want for effects.

As long as these effects can be scaled between systems then it should be no problem, to let folks add complexity as they monitor performance/frame rates.

I see in these threads quite often statements like such and such effect barely has an impact on my frame rates (signature states user is running liquid nitrogen cooled cray supercomputer with bleeding edge 128 GB ram and super SSD drive Quad EVGA-1080ti GPU's ) Get real! there are a lot of folks who have to live with what they have, you can advance yourself right out of the market.

I'd REALLY just like to have 2.5 ALREADY and let them tweak it while it's being used.

Edited by aairon

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

I don't like to be the rain cloud here but a lot of folks already mentioned that this stuff doesn't come for free as far as computing resources are concerned.

Explosion shadows should be, by their very nature Much more complex to generate then a simple relatively static 'floating' cloud.

There's nothing wrong with wanting more but there is some point where you have to be happy without making a additional huge investment for processing power.

My system is fairly up to date with a overclocked i7 running @ 4.7 Ghz 16 GB DDR4 ram and a nvidia 1080 GPU with 6 GB ram.

This system is quickly falling behind, I do have a motherboard that's Kaby Lake so I may still have room for a better CPU.

With this setup I think it will struggle a bit if you get everything you want for effects.

As long as these effects can be scaled between systems then it should be no problem, to let folks add complexity as they monitor performance/frame rates.

I see in these threads quite often statements like such and such effect barely has an impact on my frame rates (signature states user is running liquid nitrogen cooled cray supercomputer with bleeding edge 128 GB ram and super SSD drive Quad EVGA-1080ti GPU's ) Get real! there are a lot of folks who have to live with what they have, you can advance yourself right out of the market.

I'd REALLY just like to have 2.5 ALREADY and let them tweak it while it's being used.

Well, that's why settings menu exist...I guess they can always make an option for "enable dust/smoke shadowing=yes/no" ;)...I prefer having the option to have improved effects that I can turn on/off instead of don't have it all day long. In a flight sim you have to think BIG or nothing and think also in the future as hardware comes and go very fast and power increases really quickly :)

Take a look at my MODS here

I really don't care anymore I'm just getting tired of the dangling carrot and definitely holding off on investing anything more on any of this until 2.5 is actually released.

I was in this when the very first Black shark was released and I will just shelve it until then.

Edited by aairon

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

I really don't care anymore I'm just getting tired of the dangling carrot and definitely holding off on investing anything more on any of this until 2.5 is actually released.

I was in this when the very first Black shark was released and I will just shelve it until then.

+1 It's long overdue.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals