Patriot-equipped F-15C.

Now that is MAD.

how do they expect the F-15 to be on time on target to lanuch a patriot? For North Korea for example there would have to be an F-15 always in place and with a head notice of the impending launch and then there would be like seconds for the launch window?< Not to mention that everybody would see it CAP and shoot at it?

Cruise missiles? does that even make sense to put a patriot on F-15's?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

MiGs and Flankers, WATCH OUT!!!! :D

This thing will be utterly unstoppable.

Not a problem. We'll just dump some chaff and barrel roll. :)

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

yeah good... they give them $3.000.000 to conduct a STUDY on this... hehehe... not gonna happen with F-15 I'm afarid... not for many years to come for sure :D Anyway, I'd like to see what they are going to learn with this study... probably that IT DOESN"T WORK :megalol:

No longer active in DCS...

Don't knock it, F-15C's sucessfuly tested ASAT. The plan was canned with good reason (optics got better and sattelite orbits were placed higher as a result), but it -has- been done. And that was shooting at targets in /space/.

This is study is about wether you can get F-15's with this system to a site that needs defense from ballistic weapons in time to intercept the warheads. It may or may not work ... it's certainly not any stranger than ASAT or the ABM laser ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I doubt it... I believe this will just be study for something else... they are just experimenting with this one.

But hey, you are right, I shouldn't knock it like that... history has shown some of the most ridicilous stuff (like that earth is round) is actually true or workable :)

But, I don't believe they would get to be effective in the way they are intending... having F-15's scramble to intercept a launched Cruise / Balistic / Intercontinental missile... there just isn't enough time to scramble once this missile is off... it's a matter of seconds till it's high in the atmosphere.

No longer active in DCS...

Now that is MAD.

how do they expect the F-15 to be on time on target to lanuch a patriot? For North Korea for example there would have to be an F-15 always in place and with a head notice of the impending launch and then there would be like seconds for the launch window?< Not to mention that everybody would see it CAP and shoot at it?

Now I'm not trying to hyjack the thread

And I am not directing this question at Pilotasso

But can someone give me a little more info on how the Patriot works. Exactly why would it only have a few seconds launch window?

But, I don't believe they would get to be effective in the way they are intending... having F-15's scramble to intercept a launched Cruise / Balistic / Intercontinental missile... there just isn't enough time to scramble once this missile is off... it's a matter of seconds till it's high in the atmosphere.

Minutes. But regardless, this doesn't sound quite right - the PAC-3 is certianly -not- used to intercept missiles in boost phase - it's used to intercept the warheads when they're coming down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Excuse me. PAC-3 ? Is that it? 15km range? You want THAT to intercept ballistic missiles? :megalol:

Nono, excuse /me/ :D

Have you ever seen how much shorter an AAM's range is when used as a SAM, especially if it has to hit a high-flying jet? No?

Well, a PAC-3 launched from an F-15 would multiple its range a good bit. In fact, the is EXACTLY the point - not ONLY do you demploy the system faster, but you enlarge its operational footprint.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now that is MAD.

how do they expect the F-15 to be on time on target to lanuch a patriot? For North Korea for example there would have to be an F-15 always in place and with a head notice of the impending launch and then there would be like seconds for the launch window? Not to mention that everybody would see it CAP and shoot at it?

You spot the launch with sattelite missiles. An emergency start for an F-15 is about 10 min, assuming you have one prepped for the necessary mission.

You can get it in place within say 30 min, your window from launch time is probably about 60min, maybe a little less in -some- cases. Targetting is likely supplied via datalink, so handoff would in theory be quick.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Would you look at that now.... no, I think US weapons dev people should finally admit they are awfully bored since there is no USSR to compete with (or catch up with).

;)

Btw, can we LOPE this in LO? Can we can we can weeee :D

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

In the second scenario, the Defense Department could “scramble” PAC-3 equipped fighters as needed

ok, do they know what "ready-5" stands for? in civilians' language that means ready within five minutes, not seconds... how could you plan to scramble a fighter against a missile? Fighters are scrambled against aircraft not missiles. There's a good reason for that... a cap makes more sense, something like an anti-scud cap... but even there, how could the patriot radar track over-the-horizon or at very long range?

The Navy has also studied the feasibility of fighter aircraft equipped with PAC-3 missiles, as InsideDefense.com reported in May 2005.

instead of doing this bs, why not upgrade Phoenix and keep the Tomcat, or at least equip the f-18e with phoenix?

The main reason why the tomcat was phased out was that it was expensive to maintain. But at least it did the job, and it did it well! Now they're planning to spend a ton of money around a thing that's not even likely to work!

ok now it's scientifically proven that the us military is industry/lobby-driven!

I think it’s the Air force getting back at the Army for taking the 120 and putting it on a truck and calling it a Humram…lol And the PAC-3 can be linked to targets by many means…all classified of course. But man, I would like to see what and F-15C looks like with PAC-3’s hanging off the wings.

44th_Willy p.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://44thvfw.org

ok, do they know what "ready-5" stands for? in civilians' language that means ready within five minutes, not seconds... how could you plan to scramble a fighter against a missile? Fighters are scrambled against aircraft not missiles. There's a good reason for that... a cap makes more sense, something like an anti-scud cap... but even there, how could the patriot radar track over-the-horizon or at very long range?

instead of doing this bs, why not upgrade Phoenix and keep the Tomcat, or at least equip the f-18e with phoenix?

The main reason why the tomcat was phased out was that it was expensive to maintain. But at least it did the job, and it did it well! Now they're planning to spend a ton of money around a thing that's not even likely to work!

ok now it's scientifically proven that the us military is industry/lobby-driven!

An ICBM launched from say N. Korea, will take more than 5 minutes to get here. F-15s from PANG (Oregon), I am sure would be able to intercept.

Its about money. Maybe the F15/PAC-3 is cheaper than a Tomcat/Pheonix.........

I am sure all it takes is a bit of software coding to get the PAC-3 usable with any radar.

And considering the missile defense shield hasnt had all that good results...... you gotta start looking at something else. Especially where theres a few countries across the Pacific that could reach you given a little bit of enthusiasm.

You spot the launch with sattelite missiles. An emergency start for an F-15 is about 10 min, assuming you have one prepped for the necessary mission.

You can get it in place within say 30 min, your window from launch time is probably about 60min, maybe a little less in -some- cases. Targetting is likely supplied via datalink, so handoff would in theory be quick.

If your talking about a nuke missile then, I would remind you that in 30 minutes the missile would have crossed one hemisphere. A bit too late dont you think? ;)

You have to have the Eagle already in station when it launches, and then it might be fired upon in the mean time. An ABL 747 from further out or an F-22 with AIM-120D hovering above the launch site has better chances IMHO. But then you have to be aware when the missile will be launched and send the aircraft with due anticipation.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

• ED Team

The question in first place is: Will they try to intercept the start stage ( F-15s from Japan if we talk about NKs missiles). Or will they try to engage them in their terminal re-entry into the atmosphere.

Imho the USAF is thinking about using the Patriots on F-15s which are stationed in Japan.

My idea:

Satellites get pictures that NK is preparing a ICBM start. This preparations will take them at least some days. You have enough time to get everything in the right place to shoot it down on its first stage after launch.

Im still sceptical about shooting down re-entry vehicals....