DCS: Mi-24P - What we know + Discussion

MrDieing

Not sure. But... it might be a way of increasing standoff distance for engaging enemy that may have MANPADS and maybe many 23mm cannons... harass while taking less risk?

It could be, I was thinking the same but Im not sure.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Looks to me like it flies like a pig. A big fat flying tank that pukes rockets. I'm game.

Supposedly it is supposed to sink a bit in a hover due to the wings reducing rotor efficiency... however as it picks up speed this changes, and at high speed it is supposed to feel a bit like a fixed-wing aircraft with the wings taking a lot of the load and it even nosing into the turns a bit in a natural feeling way due to the wing anhedral.

Supposedly it is supposed to sink a bit in a hover due to the wings reducing rotor efficiency...

Yet there are lots of videos about Mi-24 hovering just fine as any other helicopter....

however as it picks up speed this changes, and at high speed it is supposed to feel a bit like a fixed-wing aircraft with the wings taking a lot of the load and it even nosing into the turns a bit in a natural feeling way due to the wing anhedral.

All helicopters does it. Mi-24 likely does just so little more so, but example fly a KA-50 at 220-310 km/h speed and it is like a airplane. That is one of the challenges in helicopters that first you learn how they behave at the low speeds, and then when you start to gain speed you are not anymore controlling anything like that. So for a beginner the transitions between these two is a challenge.

I so wanted to like Gazelle, as I wanted to fly a agile and light helicopter, compared to others. The UH-1H does things better there, but I am a sucker and I am waiting again more about the Kiowa Warrior hoping to see it done well, but this time I am waiting first buyers to take a risk burn their fingers.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Man, a chin gun is a key part of the "gunship" experience. A fixed cannon and it'll be like another airplane.
it is all part of the new business plan to sell us a 2.0.

Don't believe me? Go buy a Blackshark 3 or a Warthog 2 and get back with me.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

it is all part of the new business plan to sell us a 2.0.

Don't believe me? Go buy a Blackshark 3 or a Warthog 2 and get back with me.

AFAIK it is said here that only difference between Mi-24V and Mi-24P is the Yak-B vs gsh-30-2 and front cockpit layout.

Regardless the likelyhood changes, they should be minor that ED should have a nice opportunity to sell us the V variant as addition to the P model (so you need to first buy the P, then have upgrade change to buy a V). And I would gladly welcome that! Like 69,99 for a Mi-24P and later a 29,99 for a Mi-24V. I wouldn't mind for that at all.

How much they would need to change in the flight modeling to compensate for a new recoil and airflow differences? Not at all to correspond for a full module price!

Wouldn´t it be great, if it becomes common practice, that the developer release paid upgrades for existing airframes, to bring up another version of the aircraft?

It is always demanded by the community and not only satisfies the demand of some, but brings a much greater variety of aircrafts to DCS.

This is not new and already planned in various ways, like with BlackShark 3 being, beside the graphical rework of the external model, a variant of BlackShark2.

In this case, BS3 shouldn´t be a feature replacement of BS2, but both should exist to choose from. The payment plans for BS3 seems reasonable in the way that owners of BS2 have to pay a smaller fee for the upgrade, while if you don´t have BS2, BS3 is to sell for full price.

Same for A-10C II. Heatblur already did include the F-14A model into the purchase of F-14B, but could have structured the development and selling for the A variant the same as BlackShark3.

Other than the selling point of the FW190 Anton, it should have been a upgrade price for the FW190 Dora, if you already got the Dora... I mean as a basic airframe exist to build on variants, the work in development for upgrade features and characteristics of a new varaint should be reflected in its price.

There´s always the demand for a F-5E Tiger II variant upgrade. And already a demand for a V variant in addition to the Mi-24P.

Upgrades to more sophisticated variants of airframes could also be of great advantage to reflect a certain timeframe/ scenario being more balanced with variants of an airframe according to its variant in time.

The MiG21 could be reasonable present in more modern scenarios with an upgrade to a more modern variant of its radar and/or weapon loadout.

Razbam recently setup a poll, which varinat their upcoming F-15E should be, so why not make both and sell the differences in the variants of the airframe as a payable upgrade for each to make both variants available.

Just saying there is a huge interest in it to nearly every announced or existing airframe and developing a concept for which the payment reflects the work to be done to achieve a variant of an existing airframe for sure will be a win-win, as brings more satisfaction and variety to DCS and additional selling points to the studios.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Today's movie:

yLU1WLhVPSs

Ballon attack :D (Belarus).

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Wouldn´t it be great, if it becomes common practice, that the developer release paid upgrades for existing airframes, to bring up another version of the aircraft?

It is always demanded by the community and not only satisfies the demand of some, but brings a much greater variety of aircrafts to DCS.

This is not new and already planned in various ways, like with BlackShark 3 being, beside the graphical rework of the external model, a variant of BlackShark2.

In this case, BS3 shouldn´t be a feature replacement of BS2, but both should exist to choose from. The payment plans for BS3 seems reasonable in the way that owners of BS2 have to pay a smaller fee for the upgrade, while if you don´t have BS2, BS3 is to sell for full price.

Same for A-10C II. Heatblur already did include the F-14A model into the purchase of F-14B, but could have structured the development and selling for the A variant the same as BlackShark3.

Other than the selling point of the FW190 Anton, it should have been a upgrade price for the FW190 Dora, if you already got the Dora... I mean as a basic airframe exist to build on variants, the work in development for upgrade features and characteristics of a new varaint should be reflected in its price.

There´s always the demand for a F-5E Tiger II variant upgrade. And already a demand for a V variant in addition to the Mi-24P.

Upgrades to more sophisticated variants of airframes could also be of great advantage to reflect a certain timeframe/ scenario being more balanced with variants of an airframe according to its variant in time.

The MiG21 could be reasonable present in more modern scenarios with an upgrade to a more modern variant of its radar and/or weapon loadout.

Razbam recently setup a poll, which varinat their upcoming F-15E should be, so why not make both and sell the differences in the variants of the airframe as a payable upgrade for each to make both variants available.

Just saying there is a huge interest in it to nearly every announced or existing airframe and developing a concept for which the payment reflects the work to be done to achieve a variant of an existing airframe for sure will be a win-win, as brings more satisfaction and variety to DCS and additional selling points to the studios.

BS is the only module I truly regret purchasing.

I WOULD really like the Ka52, which I feel is more appropriate for workload, and also so much more common. The BS .. what the VVS has 8?

a mi28 would have been more appealing to me anyways..

but.. yes I like your idea

thered be endless bitching though

• 3 weeks later...

What kind of Klimov Engines are used for the MI-24? Seem's first Generation A,B are Powered by TW3-117 "A".

They upgraded the Engines for better High and Hot cabaility during Afghanistan War to TW3-117 "W".

Did the TW3-113 WM Engines found there way in the MI-24P or what kind of can we expect?

Edited by MAD-MM

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

BS is the only module I truly regret purchasing...
:ermm::dontgetit:

Sorry to hear that. I'm thinking in opposite of your thought.

Just wanted to say that.

Bye... :)

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

:ermm::dontgetit:

Sorry to hear that. I'm thinking in opposite of your thought.

Just wanted to say that.

Bye... :)

I am too! Money wise, and because I genuinely wanted to like it

but i dont. I simply dont. I like all the other helos, but I think Id have preferred the KA52 and regardless Im just not a huge fan. For whatever reason, take your pic - I dont like how it feels, how it feels like Im managing several autopilot modes less than flying the helo, etc

Its just my opinion.

I could careless about the BS anyways - theres what 8 IRL? LOL they should have made the KA52. 2nd, a Mi28 would have been better IMO, and Mi24 best of all IMO

If you don't like how the Shark flies, you wouldn't like the KA 52 either. The MI 28 also uses similar autopilot channels to my knowledge, however it's very unlikely they could get authorization to make that aircraft.

I think you should give the Shark some more time. The MI 8, KA 50 and the upcoming MI 24 all share similar stability augmentation systems and they have come common traits in how they fly, with the KA 50 being a bit more advanced than the Hind or Hip (if I understand correctly). The Shark is one of my favorite helicopters to fly, but it took me a good few hours of commitment to begin to understand and appreciate it's control system. Make sure you understand how the force trim works, and that you have the correct autopilot channels enabled. Have you flown the Hip at all? If you want to do anything to prepare yourself for how the Hind will fly then the Hip is the best possible starting point. I'll wager, just based on what I've heard from real world pilots who have flown the Hind, that the KA 50 will be a bit more pilot friendly than the Hind when it comes to flying characteristics. IMO the Shark is one of the best flying helicopters in the sim once you've learned it.

I am too! Money wise, and because I genuinely wanted to like it

but i dont. I simply dont. I like all the other helos, but I think Id have preferred the KA52 and regardless Im just not a huge fan. For whatever reason, take your pic - I dont like how it feels, how it feels like Im managing several autopilot modes less than flying the helo, etc

Its just my opinion.

I could careless about the BS anyways - theres what 8 IRL? LOL they should have made the KA52. 2nd, a Mi28 would have been better IMO, and Mi24 best of all IMO

Edited by Hook47

If you don't like how the Shark flies, you wouldn't like the KA 52 either. The MI 28 also uses similar autopilot channels to my knowledge, however it's very unlikely they could get authorization to make that aircraft.

I think you should give the Shark some more time. The MI 8, KA 50 and the upcoming MI 24 all share similar stability augmentation systems and they have come common traits in how they fly, with the KA 50 being a bit more advanced than the Hind or Hip (if I understand correctly). The Shark is one of my favorite helicopters to fly, but it took me a good few hours of commitment to begin to understand and appreciate it's control system. Make sure you understand how the force trim works, and that you have the correct autopilot channels enabled. Have you flown the Hip at all? If you want to do anything to prepare yourself for how the Hind will fly then the Hip is the best possible starting point. I'll wager, just based on what I've heard from real world pilots who have flown the Hind, that the KA 50 will be a bit more pilot friendly than the Hind when it comes to flying characteristics. IMO the Shark is one of the best flying helicopters in the sim once you've learned it.

I may try it again, to be fair I do now have hotas and trackir.

before you do say *aha! thats it* even with my shifty old joy and no trackir I could fly all the helos etc capably. just nowhere near as easily.

yes I too doubt theyll get anywhere with Mi28s.

I probably wouldnt like the Ka52. itd just be more believable and because the stage dcs is in a 2nd AI pilot/gunner with human possibility would almost be a necessity. Id dig that. But no, side by side seating wouldnt make me like it alone.

Ill try it, but I wont lie, I think Ill stick with the UH1 and Mi24 (pls god soon) until more rotors are out.

ironically Im not too excited about the Kiowa or Apache as Im sure many expect.

Ah well.

Yes Ive flown the hip. I dont own it, but I flew it almost non stop when it was free and it was a very stable, kind to fly helo in my opinion. Mind I learned to fly helos in this with just a joy with twist handle on the huey. after that most things are fairly easy. Im sure Ill figure the hind out.

Finally theres another key reason that I think Ill feel differently commonality with KA50 or not - its the fact that multicrew will be here. I think the russians know its a 2 man job now and thats why went almost exclusively ka52. the hind will have *something* at least.

Even the huey and definitely the hip really are more than single person jobs... thats why theres 2 people IRL. I think the addition and the MP Addition (just flying around in the f14 with someone was the best MP experience of my life, then combat too??) will really change the feel of flying the helicopter.

I certainly know for all the criticism if we had an F14 that had no AI jester itd be impossible. simply impossble to jump back and forth.

In the KA50 AP channels or no I constantly feel overworked; which degrades everything else in a cascade. (SA , etc )

Ironic you say more time, Ive had it almost 5 years. of course I only played it back then briefly then again maybe in 2017 before deciding it wasnt for me. if I could gift it to someone Id happily do so.

Edited by sublime

(sorry wrong post)

Edited by ebabil

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Sublime, I can virtually guarantee you're misusing the trim and autopilot modes if it's harming your performance =) Just prior to takeoff I engage the primary modes (except heading hold) and never touch them again. Heading hold can be slightly helpful during hover or takeoff. I sometimes use autohover to assist in maintaining a stable hover, but that's on a pinky switch on/off. You shouldn't be ''managing'' anything. That's the whole point of the systems.

The Ka-50s ap channels serve much the same function as the Flankers FCS. Yes, you can fly without it, but without anything to dampen control movements it makes the aircraft twitchy and over responsive. You turn them on, then leave them alone.

For trim, make sure in the Ka-50's option tab you set it to where you click the trim button and it holds until you return the stick to neutral. This eliminates the erratic behavior, and is what it should be set to if you're not using a real cyclic/collective setup.

The Ka-50 is by far the easiest to fly and most idiot proof of the helos available thus far, if it's not it's 100% because the person doesn't understand the controls. I fought it a lot in the early days, too, but once I figured it out... I can fly it blindfolded.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

For whatever reason, take your pic - I dont like how it feels, how it feels like Im managing several autopilot modes less than flying the helo, etc

Its just my opinion.

The KA-52 would be exactly the same as KA-50, except you have a second pilot to do other things like navigation, targeting and communication.

KA-50 is like a F/A-18C

KA-52 is like a F/A-18D

The beauty of KA-50 is that it allows you to focus one task at the time well, while automation does others. Meaning you are less stressed in it than Hornet pilot is in C because that helicopter flies itself if wanted.