DCS: Mi-24P - What we know + Discussion

MrDieing

Razor, I'm thiking in getting it too, but cannot find a description of what will be inside, a index, chapter list or something. Can you please tell us more about the book?

Specially, it came with combat deployment info?

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Razor, I'm thiking in getting it too, but cannot find a description of what will be inside, a index, chapter list or something. Can you please tell us more about the book?

Specially, it came with combat deployment info?

209 pages

A lot of nice and new pictures

Chapter 6 : Mi-24 in combat (30 pages)

For the other chapters check the pictures

Image21.thumb.jpg.579abfaf631b06b4c075af217ad2b0cc.jpg

Image20.thumb.jpg.81af43eafeacb5adba152ee13c385ef1.jpg

Really? all it did was make me more depressed. over 140 seconds of trailer fotage, and all the Mi-24P got was just less then a second of a backlit shot with tons of sun glare, and hiding as much detail as possible while the Ka-50 P-47, Mosquito, and Ju-88 get tons of on screen time. It's been 9 months since the cockpit pics from back in May. I don't want the Mi-24 to be the released in the last part of 2020, we've been waiting 2 years, give us something substantial.

Yes indeed, and I have to just add...just 0.08 seconds compared to other ongoing projects seen a lot of times in the video...like the P-47, the mosquito and the Ju-88...

My conclusion : Feb 20 and still nothing to show on the Mi-24 ! :cry:

At least some things never change :D

It could be that the project is just much more complex and risky (possibly - I mean, hopefully - involving some core engine updates too), so ED wants to be more tight lipped. Optimal expectations management in fact. Trying to be an optimist and thinking Mi-24 will be like the Viper, ED has changed its approach in a few things recently.

PS. You guys didn't pay attention to the loadout?

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

When you ask me, this still the AI Model that we have allready Ingame..

Hope really the MI-24 is moving this Year foward..

For the Core Engine think defintly the AI have to Step foward in Spotting Mechanics for the Gunner...

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Models are the quick bits though - systems takes waaay longer than modelling, even with experienced people working on both.

And now I think about it the AI one is a V rather than P.

Edited by Richard Dastardly

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

No. the model is not in game already.

You can clearly see the twin barrels of the 2x30mm cannon.

Other loadout seemes to be S13 rocket pods and Shturm Missiles on wingtips.

What almost freakes me out though, is that we are still stuck in this god damn Chit-Chat section of the forums... doesn't that tell a stoty?

Edit: interesting thing is the markings on the fuselage. looks the flag of Turkmenistan, or Comoros, mirrored?

Thoughts?

Edited by Grodlund

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

Thats indeed a difficult problem. I was assuming that there would be a key-bind that gives you a full screen view through the scope. that would be a good compromise in my book.

But I am also very interested in their actual solution

The full screen view works for desktop use, partially for a TrackIR, but last thing I would want in VR is to go such full mode. But then again it might be the user friendliest by so that you aim around with the head....

Just still don't like about it. I already dislike heavily about the VR aiming in UH-1H co-pilot sight, as I would want to grab the sight grip and turn it around myself and then move my head to get the sight picture visible. This of course with the Touch Controller (or maybe even any stick).

As just by turning around with head and aiming around feels so cheating and bad anyways, it is like death vision.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

No the model is indeed new, as it's seen by the main rotor animation which feels very different than one from current Mi-24V model, also note borked tail rotor animation too. If that'd be current model, then animation of tail rotor should be fine.

And yeah it's Mi-24P of Turkmen Air Force, photos of their hinds are quite rare.

turkmenmi24p1jpg.png

Helicopters don't fly, they just subdue the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i think, with a static gun, it is not much different from an armed mi-8.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

i think, with a static gun, it is not much different from an armed mi-8.

Except for speed, armour, ATGM, much bigger gun than the Mi-8, systems, etc. I mean sure the original was a new cockpit jammed on the front of a Mi-8 :shrug:

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

Except for speed, armour, ATGM, much bigger gun than the Mi-8, systems, etc. I mean sure the original was a new cockpit jammed on the front of a Mi-8 :shrug:

Don't forget the VERY LARGE WINGS. I think there willbe pretty substantial differences, despite being a derivative, by this point it's been heavily altered.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

The full screen view works for desktop use, partially for a TrackIR, but last thing I would want in VR is to go such full mode. But then again it might be the user friendliest by so that you aim around with the head....

Just still don't like about it. I already dislike heavily about the VR aiming in UH-1H co-pilot sight, as I would want to grab the sight grip and turn it around myself and then move my head to get the sight picture visible. This of course with the Touch Controller (or maybe even any stick).

As just by turning around with head and aiming around feels so cheating and bad anyways, it is like death vision.

I assume that you will aim using a regular axis or button mapping. Aiming using the be Headset would feel like cheating indeed. And I also guess that the sight will only be rendered on one eye of the VR headset because it is a monocular sight.

But I can’t think of another way to do it properly in VR. DCS can’t simulate the optical effect of looking through a scope. And even if it was possible, you would have to place your eye in the exact position without the help of the head rest that a real gunner would have...

One idea would be that you have to move your head close to the sight and only then you can go to the full screen view.

Sounds like a hummer car salesman quote :)) yeah hind is hind but sometimes i don't understand ED's model choices. They decide to make an iconic aircraft but less effective version of it. maybe because of lack of sources i don't know. Wİth mi-8 and huey they could have done endless of variations and versions but they haven't done

btw, i think you can mount some atgm's to mi-8 also

Uu3-768x512.jpg

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

For the Soviet the P-Model was a Upgrade, because the Yak Chin Gun didnt have enough Penetration Power to deal with any sort of Light Armor,

was prone to Jamm..

I am happy we get the P-Version anyday, after we didnt Fight that much Infantry in DCS, the 30mm have at least a Punch agianst Ground Vehicle..

After the major of Player still enjoy to fly SP Mission, how tell the AI currently what they have to shoot ...all in all DCS is not so far i would choose V-Variant

For example there is good Infantry Simulator, AR### still a pain to fly lonely the MI-24V Hind even the AI is much more superior to DCS...

Edited by MAD-MM

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Sounds like a hummer car salesman quote :)) yeah hind is hind but sometimes i don't understand ED's model choices. They decide to make an iconic aircraft but less effective version of it. maybe because of lack of sources i don't know. Wİth mi-8 and huey they could have done endless of variations and versions but they haven't done

btw, i think you can mount some atgm's to mi-8 also

Uu3-768x512.jpg

Wonder if we could get that cockpit variation too.

Originally I thought the P model a strange choice, but after more experience I think I will take a big cannon over a little turret - and I get thoroughly lost in Hind variants but do the V carry anti-tank missiles?. Considering we spend most of our A2G time popping vehicles rather than troops it does seem like a better package. Ofc if they want to do a V too I'd also get it... Havoc as well.

Google Translate

That sounds pretty cool. Where is that excerpt from?

This is a description of the automatic plotter operating principle for the Ka-50. I did not know how to correctly explain in English the principle of operation of such a device, so I took from the book about the Ka-50 a fragment of the English text describing its principle of operation.

0_624bd_229f250_XL.jpg

A slightly different automatic plotter was installed on the Mi-24, but it had approximately the same operating principle.

Mi24-V-b1-1987.png

• 32 – блок 10 (картографический индикатор КИ) из комплекта ДИСС-15;

Original in Russian

Это описание принципа действия автоматического картографического планшета для Ка-50. Я не знал как правильно объяснить по английски принцип действия такого устройства, поэтому взял из книги про Ка-50 фрагмент английского текста, описывающий его принцип работы.

На Ми-24 был установлен несколько другой автоматический картографический планшет, однако он имел примерно аналогичный принцип действия.

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

The screen or indicator be part of the Doppler navigation system.

Prior to takeoff, a flight map had to be entered in the indicator and the scale of the map set. Precise position is possible with maps on 1:/200.000.

So it's more than a map box...

Edited by Razorback

Google Translate

Yes that's right. On some Soviet aircraft, an automatic plotter (indicator) is included with the Doppler navigation system. On a Mi-24 helicopter, this is the DISS-15 doppler navigation system.

The difference between the Mi-24 automatic plotter and the Ka-50 automatic plotter is that in the Mi-24 the location of the helicopter is not indicated by a light spot, as in the Ka-50, but by a moving transparent tape with the mark of the helicopter's location. In addition, in the Mi-24 automatic plotter, charts need to be changed manually, while in the Ka-50 the charts are glued onto a roll and rewound automatically.

70499_1467154473.jpg

As pilots of real Mi-24s note, these automatic plotters were rather inconvenient in operation, therefore they were rarely used.

http://forums.airbase.ru/2008/11/t64880--voprosy-po-mi-24.html#p1743333

У Ми-24 есть картографический планшет с подвижным визиром. Хотелось бы узнать, - насколько хорошо сей девайс работал на практике и пользовались ли им вообще? Меня как-то всегда интриговало это устройство. Вроде бы, он применялся только на Ми-24 и нигде больше?

Практически не юзали. Там два режима, двух киллометровка и десяти киллометровка. Первого режима не хватает (мал размер планшета), второй не достаточно подробен.

Сколько не обращались в КБ, сделать один режим, но пяти киллометровку, бестолку. Милевцы, они в этом отношении на редкость тормознутые.

Original in Russian

Да, всё верно. На некоторых советских летательных аппаратах автоматический картографический планшет (индикатор) входит в комплект доплеровского измерителя скорости и сноса. На вертолёте Ми-24 – это доплеровский измеритель скорости и сноса ДИСС-15.

Разница между автоматическим картографическим планшетом Ми-24 и автоматическим картографическим планшетом Ка-50 состоит в том, что на Ми-24 местоположение вертолёта обозначается не световым пятном, как на Ка-50, а движущейся прозрачной лентой с отметкой местоположения вертолёта. Кроме того, в автоматическом картографическом планшете Ми-24 карты нужно менять вручную, в то время как на Ка-50 карты склеены в рулон и перематываются автоматически.

Как отмечают пилоты реальных Ми-24, эти автоматические картографические планшеты были довольно неудобны в эксплуатации, поэтому их использовали достаточно редко.

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

As pilots of real Mi-24s note, these automatic plotters were rather inconvenient in operation, therefore they were rarely used.

Hmm that's Intressting, the MI-8 basicly use the same System, only the visual Output is different with Analog Numbers and Drift...Was it DISS-10?

But on what Source then they Rely for Navigation Purpose? Flying with MAP Compass and Pencil and calculating Legs in a Combat Enviremont seem's quiet Difficult to archive for me?

Any Idear?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27