AV-8B NA Pocket Guide (WiP)

Zeus67

....Yes, it can be done. I was told so by a current USMC pilot. It is lengthy prone to errors and be ready for being the target of your wingman's jokes (and your squadron) if you drop any piece inside the cockpit forcing you to do some acrobatic maneuvers to get it back.

that sounds......interessting. could you share a story?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crap, just printed and binded it yesterday, oh well, off we go again :D

Aaand found a Typo on page 102, under Anti-ship Strike at station 2 it's named a GUB-16, I think this should be a GBU-16.

Edited by Looney

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Why is it that I never learn not to say "The last update"?

The pocked guide has been updated for typos and included a section about how to swap the sun visor for the NVG and vice versa in flight.

Yes, it can be done. I was told so by a current USMC pilot. It is lengthy prone to errors and be ready for being the target of your wingman's jokes (and your squadron) if you drop any piece inside the cockpit forcing you to do some acrobatic maneuvers to get it back.

Zeus, you guys are incredible! I'll cite from the Pocket Guide: (...)"To start the swap, you must be flying steadily, either with wings level or in a wide circle. If for any reason you have to do hard maneuvers, the 4 minute timer will reset since it is assumed that you had dropped the elements and they are scattered inside the cockpit. Your wingman will enjoy the show while your virtual pilot recovers the parts."(...)

I was struggling to breathe after I read that and burst into laughter.

Man, this is so cool.

Maybe at a later time we can get a pilot animation with the "acrobatics"... ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

A bit off-topic, but this is from Fastjetpermformance.com, describing a, up to that time, boring flight over Iraq in a RAF Tornado:

‘How you doing over there?’ I called to my wingman.

‘Just trying to stay awake.’ came the reply.

Sometimes the boredom would get interrupted by something amusing like the time my Weapons Officer decided that bringing a packet of Skittles with him, was a good idea. At 20,000 feet the cabin pressure is about half of what you’d expect on the ground and this causes things that were packed at sea-level, to expand in the cockpit.

Bulging seams makes them hard to open as aptly demonstrated one morning over the town of Najaf.

‘Ah, slight snag back here.’ came the call over the intercom.

‘What have you done?’ I replied.

‘OK, so you know how I said that I was going to bring some Skittles along to spice up those bland American lunches we've got?’

It was an accepted fact that we thought the pack lunches given to fast jet crews were a cruel trick being played by the catering staff back at base. Apples, sandwiches, crisps and a fizzy drinks carton all proving highly difficult to smuggle under a carefully fitted oxygen mask whose sole job was to keep us conscious.

Basically, you could live and go hungry, or eat and die.

‘I didn’t know that.’ I commented, ‘And you know I didn’t know which makes me think that you are trying to get my buy-in for something bad you’ve done.’

‘Um,’ came the guilt-dripping reply.

‘What have you done that is bad?’ I said.

‘Well,’ came the explanation from the back-seat ‘let’s just say that a packet of swollen Skittles can indeed be opened in the cockpit but then they all tend to, how do I say this without you getting upset - wander off?’

And thus the first big bang of my combat tour was an ‘in-cockpit Skittle explosion’. I still wonder if anyone on the ground ever looked up and questioned why a heavily-laden combat aircraft was flying upside down for so long as we frantically tried to pick small coloured sweets off the top of the canopy.

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

A bit off-topic, but this is from Fastjetpermformance.com, describing a, up to that time, boring flight over Iraq in a RAF Tornado:

Well, my pilot friend never claimed he had that mishap but he did say that flying inverted trying to recover dropped NVG or visor parts is a given.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

can someone explain the "finger" checks thingy? why is it called like that as opposed to "checks"?

I've been meaning to ask about it since FSX version only to forget and here I am in DCS, the same thing...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

can someone explain the "finger" checks thingy? why is it called like that as opposed to "checks"?

I've been meaning to ask about it since FSX version only to forget and here I am in DCS, the same thing...

There are two parts of finger checks>

"One finger check" because it is initiated and confirmed by signaling with the index finger extended.

"Two or Five finger check" which refer to the engine performance evaluation, flaps and nozzle movement. Two finger if you are not going to use water. Five finger if you are using water.

When the pilot is ready for a dry takeoff (no water) he signals with two extended fingers. If he is going to use water in the takeoff, he uses five extended fingers.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

There are two parts of finger checks>

"One finger check" because it is initiated and confirmed by signaling with the index finger extended.

"Two or Five finger check" which refer to the engine performance evaluation, flaps and nozzle movement. Two finger if you are not going to use water. Five finger if you are using water.

When the pilot is ready for a dry takeoff (no water) he signals with two extended fingers. If he is going to use water in the takeoff, he uses five extended fingers.

Do you plan to have the pilot in the pit be able to display these? I didn’t include in the 476th Flight Crew Checklist because without the visual cues doesn’t add anything.

You mean "One finger", " two finger" or "five finger" checks etc.?

If I am not mistaken, is what the pilot signals to the ground crew so they know what to look at/for during the check as the pilot can't see the exterior of the plane.

Say you go through a check for something involving moving parts you can't check visually from the cockpit, the ground crew does the visual check and confirmation for you.

In the Harrier the pilot can use different settings and preps for the start and signals the different config and intention with the different hand signals.

I would love to see the ground crew some day, and have them go through the checks with you and do the marshalling.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Where Russian language?

We need a translator. Somebody offered and translated it to Chinese. Another one offered to translate it to Spanish.

It is up to you at this time. We do not have the resources to do translations and localization.

PM me if you are interested.

Snoopy,

You've made a Harrier Checklist for the 476th? Is it in the downloads section or private use?

Cheers,

Backy 51

Do you plan to have the pilot in the pit be able to

display these? I didn’t include in the 476th Flight Crew Checklist because without the visual cues doesn’t add anything.

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

and here I am thinking the pilot will be playing with their fingers alone

Thanks everybody!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Hello Folks.

Here is a link to the AV-8B NA Pocket Guide which will be included in the Early Access release. The full manual will be included later in the development process.

The guide is still WiP but this is as far as we (meaning I) have advanced to this day.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwxk88479v98thh/AV8BNA%20Pocket%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

Please use this thread for any questions regarding the guide

2017-09-20. The pocket guide has been updated. Internal and External sensors sections have been included. Some small edits on previous sections.

2017-09-21. Weapons Section has been started.

2017-09-27. Weapons delivery & acquisition modes.

Grazie mille anche dall'Italia !!!: Smilewink:

Because, as far as I could find noone else mentioned it I guess that it´s something I am/was doing wrong, but I´ll leave that here nonetheless:

So, the first few times I was starting up my brand-spanking-new Harrier using the checklist in the pocket guide.

This mentions, on page 15, Normal Procedures and Checklists, Engine Start, After entering Cockpit, point 11: "Left and Right wing fuel dump switches NORM".

That´s what I did, and it never mentions to put the switches back.

So, for the first few hours I was thinking, "Damn, this thing is thirsty, barely half an hour endurance even with external tanks", because, well, with the fuel dump switches to norm it seems it, ummh, dumps fuel.

I noticed later during startup on the engine page that the fuel quantity kept decreasing although the engine was not started.

Now I don´t touch the fuel dump switches and I can fly a bit longer :music_whistling::lol:

I have no idea if the checklist is wrong, or the switches work the wrong way or if maybe I´m a stupid idiot. Most probably the latter, as noone else mentioned something about this. :lookaround:

Edited by WolfK33

Okay, disregard and have a laugh at me, I just noticed that the upper position is "Dump" and the lower position is "Norm". I was thinking that "Dump" is the designation for the switches and, as "Norm" is the upper of two words, I had to switch it up to be on "Norm".

Ah well, now we have the evidence that I´m indeed a stupid idiot, especially for making this great discovery a few seconds AFTER posting the above.

Now, please, be my guest and laugh at me for the rest of the day megalol.giflol.gifsmartass.gifsmartass.gifpilotfly.gif

Better to laugh WITH you Wolf. There's not another guy in here that hasn't done something just as stupid or worse! This is the bedrock of aviation safety - sharing our mistakes so that others like me will be able to learn from yours and give us an opportunity to move on and make others! :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing

Edited by AG-51_Razor
spelling

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]