Remove the glow surrounding the running lights

C_W_S

Dear Eagle Dynamics,

It's difficult to find faults in the products available, everything is done to such a high standard. The only thing which really stands out in a negative way is the way the external lights have been programmed. They simply don't have a haze/glow during day-time in real life. In fact, they're difficult to see at all during the day. The way they've been programmed to glow is unrealistic and doesn't contribute positively at all. During day-time, they should simply be a faint green/red/white dot.

Can this be amended? It's a small thing which would make a massive difference!!

Peace and respect,

C_W_S

Yes please, the aircraft lighting has always bugged me in DCS, with that unrealistic hazy glow, I'm not quite sure what the ideal and feasible solution is to have a realistic impression from near and far ranges but hopefully something can be worked out.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The same thing works the other way too. Nav-lights are way too dim and you can't see them from very far off.

In visual conditions during the night, especially strobes and beacons on an aircraft can easily be spotted way over a dozen miles away. This would add to night traffic in DCS, and also give much needed weight to remembering fence-in procedures (weapons on, lights off), since forgetting lights ON will give away your position.

Similar issue with landing lights during the night. If you look at an aircraft from the front, yourself being on the opposite end of a runway (or looking at an aircraft that is landing), the landing lights should shine very intensely. Now, the shine can barely be seen at all, so in night time it is really hard to see traffic approaching, when the cone of light does not yet hit the ground.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Kind of off topic, but in case anyone of ED reads this, I question the color and strength of the P-51's landing light. I don't think it should be white, and I find it hard to believe that it was that bright.

As for this, I do back this. External lights are quite difficult to see during the dark, and through weather. The light's visibility should be affected by weather. Like if you fly into a cloud, the light should kind of have a more "glowy" look. Like you can see the color spread from the source.

ATM, I really think nav lights are actually just a texture, not an actual light! Same with the landing lights, where you can actually SEE the cone of light, which is unrealistic in clear weather with low humidity. Only time the path of a light should be visible is if it is foggy/In a cloud.

If this is to be fixed, I would expect it only will be after 2.5 is released, and visual effect updates start rolling out.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Kind of off topic, but in case anyone of ED reads this, I question the color and strength of the P-51's landing light. I don't think it should be white, and I find it hard to believe that it was that bright.

As for this, I do back this. External lights are quite difficult to see during the dark, and through weather. The light's visibility should be affected by weather. Like if you fly into a cloud, the light should kind of have a more "glowy" look. Like you can see the color spread from the source.

ATM, I really think nav lights are actually just a texture, not an actual light! Same with the landing lights, where you can actually SEE the cone of light, which is unrealistic in clear weather with low humidity. Only time the path of a light should be visible is if it is foggy/In a cloud.

If this is to be fixed, I would expect it only will be after 2.5 is released, and visual effect updates start rolling out.

Yea, I mostly meant the brightness of the lightbulb itself... the cones of light that illuminate the gorund are themselves bright enought... at times even a bit too bright. But if you look any aircraft from a little distance away you can barely see the bulb shining even though the ground is light as if it was lit by sunlight.

DCS Finland | SF squadron