Pimax Developing Advanced Accessories For Upcoming 8K VR HMD

DigitalEngine

Despite the exceptionally high 8K resolution, the refresh rate of the dual 4K displays is limited to 60Hz. What the Pimax 8K lacks in refresh rate, it makes up in the 200-degree field of view (FOV), which puts it right next to the StarVR HMD’s 210-degree FOV. The Pimax 8K headset also features dual tracking technologies. The company created a tracking system for the headset and its wand controllers; it also licensed Valve’s SteamVR tracking technology, which allows the headset to work with SteamVR base stations and accessories

:santa: :D

Full article here at Tom's Hardware

CPU = Intel i7-6700K

Motherboard = ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha, w/ the Intel Z170 Chipset,

RAM = 64 Gigs of Ripjaws V F4-3400C16Q.

GPU = Zotac GTX980ti Amp Extreme

Hard-drive = Samsung V-NAD SSD 950 PRO M.2

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also not really 8K either, got to love the marketing talk though.

But for those really interested be sure and keep an eye out for the Kickstarter for it...

https://www.roadtovr.com/pimax-8k-vr-headset-coming-kickstarter-later-month/

Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | Valve Index| Vive Pro 2 |

There seems to be some positive reviews coming in for this headset, although I think I'll wait for the Tested review next week before I back this. I was expecting these kind of specs on Gen 3 headsets. I really hope it is a success and sets a new benchmark for future VR headsets.

I wonder what Oculus will reveal at the upcoming Oculus Connect in October?

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There were several threads on getting the current version working. I'm sure a quick search on Pimax will turn it up.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

BTW, does anyone know if this 4k headset and the coming 8k headset work in DCS?

Yes its work with DCS. About 4K have to worn you don't have genuine positional tracking but there is good and cheep solution for it based on PSmove service or Kinect 360/one so it is not major problem.

Other problem with Pimax 4K is display. Yes it is 4K display but it is working on 2560x1440 (1280x1440 per eye) on 60Hz as native resolution. Benefit of 4K display is 800 PPI so there is no SDE and instruments and HUD is better to read but it is LCD display so CV1 got more vivid color and there is some ghosting on very fast scene on Pimax.

VR is individual experiance so some people more respect this fact that is better sharpness and reading instruments without SDE and other more like vivid color and no ghosting it is realy depend on your personal preferences.

Tracking is not problem but 8K will fix all problems so if you can't wait for 8K my suggestion is CV1 after price drops for just one reason. You will sell it more easier than Pimax 4K once when Pimay 8K will be released and that's the one you will want even for 1000$.

That is the goal. 4K OLED without ghosting and vivid colour like CV1 but on full 4K per eye resolution. No SDE and PPD will be near 20 whot will be twice better than CV1. About full FOV we don't need to talk at all.

Eye tracking will be additional upgrade modul and will need to be supported by the software in this case DCS World. Eye tracking will allow you full natural immersion with natural movement. So to check your six today you need to turn your head for 180 but with 8K+eyetracking you will move your head for 90+ another 90 with your eyes just like you will do it in real life. Completely natural movement.

Other benefit of eyetracking will be possible reducing for GPU resources increasing performance. So even todays GPUs in range of GTX 1070 and RX vega 56 will be able to run DCS in VR even on 4K per eye with Foveated rendering technology. that is real VR of second generation.

Edited by wormeaten

I will be passing on this one, going to wait and see what Oculus and HTC do going forward.

I have heard it takes 1440p and upscales it to 8k horizontal. But hey it is an 8K device lol...

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | Valve Index| Vive Pro 2 |

One thing to keep in mind is that VR screens is not just about the resolution, but also the latency of the pixels and refresh rate, which they've combined into the term 'low persistence'. With the Pimax, at least the 4K version, they're using cell phone LCD screens, which are not suited for VR. Ghosting and smearing are issues, and they only run at 60 FPS. The 8K is likely the same way as well. It's a good stopgap for now until Oculus and HTC push out their next versions.

I will be passing on this one, going to wait and see what Oculus and HTC do going forward.

I have heard it takes 1440p and upscales it to 8k horizontal. But hey it is an 8K device lol...

Today Pimax 4K is working tree HDMI 1.4 that is why can't run 4K higher than 30HZ so this is the reason why Pimax 4K native resolution is 2560x1440 what is significantly higher than CV1 anyway. Benefit of 4K display is 807 PPI vs CV1 460PPI so there is no SDE.

Pimax 8K prototype already working on 4K 90Hz native resolution and it is 4K per eye. Pimax 8K using Display port instead of HDMI and that alows 120Hz but display is limiting it to 90Hz.

There is also 5K (2x2560x1440) version so it is diferent product.

One thing to keep in mind is that VR screens is not just about the resolution, but also the latency of the pixels and refresh rate, which they've combined into the term 'low persistence'. With the Pimax, at least the 4K version, they're using cell phone LCD screens, which are not suited for VR. Ghosting and smearing are issues, and they only run at 60 FPS. The 8K is likely the same way as well. It's a good stopgap for now until Oculus and HTC push out their next versions.

About Oculus or should I say Facebook. There will be no CV2 or at least no in the way like Rift was developed as gaming VR. Next Facebook product will go more as todays VR AiO more for VR desktop and video usage what is majority Facebook users do. Forget about CV2.

Vive could do something similar as 8K and I expecting it to do but so far they don't reveal intentions but we could guess. Valve is owner of Steam and games developing company so their focus is more gamer's oriented than Facebook. Also they do some research with new VR technologies. As we have experience they will reveal it close to be ready for release as it was with Vive.

Pimax 8K is not nuclear science, it is bunch of already known technological solutions gathered in one product so I don't see reason why Vive couldn't do it as well.

But we have to admit Pimax is breaking the ice in that way similar as Oculus was in the past with first generation of VR until greedy Mark both it.

Edited by wormeaten

About Oculus or should I say Facebook. There will be no CV2 or at least no in the way like Rift was developed as gaming VR.

Where did you get that information?

Don B

4k per eye, 90hz(?), 200deg FOV, positional tracking. Whats not to like?

This is pretty much my VR dream come true, minus the fact that even my 1080 Ti could only get me about 2 FPS with those specs in DCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Tested Hands-on of the Pimax 8K

IMO it looks interesting but I personally hope it kinda accelerates the big guys (Oculus, HTC/Steam) to really get this kind of stuff out out. I wanna see a few varieties of this before upgrading from my Rift. But that field of view would be awesome for DCS.

Kickstarter link. At the time of posting they have already reached the $200,000 goal.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

If cv2 has these specs I'd be over the moon !

The real question with this Pimax 8k is whether DCS can run its native FOV as opposed to stretching the peripheral image, and the eye tracking and foveated rendering allow it to run at native 8k with pascal cards.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This would need native integration in DCS otherwise it will just be the rift/vive image stretched at the edges to fit. I can't imagine that would look very good.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Where did you get that information?

No cv2.

wormeaten we are waiting for your reply ? also why do you keep banging on about how you dis like the oculus.

It was published 2 or 3 moths ago on multiple sources. Personally I was watching it for first time on Linus Tech Youtube channel.

Guys you should from time to time read and something else than just DCS forum. Also most of the leader devs from Oculus didn't "survive" Facebook takeover so there is no anymore game enthusiast in Oculus at all. That is also fact which talk to it self. So basecly you should also read between the lines too. So far everything I was writing in past today's shows as true. Even prediction in which way will VR progress.

It was published 2 or 3 moths ago on multiple sources. Personally I was watching it for first time on Linus Tech Youtube channel.

Guys you should from time to time read and something else than just DCS forum. Also most of the leader devs from Oculus didn't "survive" Facebook takeover so there is no anymore game enthusiast in Oculus at all. That is also fact which talk to it self. So basecly you should also read between the lines too. So far everything I was writing in past today's shows as true. Even prediction in which way will VR progress.

Oh I read a lot and from many sources, and have never seen any talk of there not being a CV2 for the Rift. And from what I have read they have more devs working on VR than anyone.

Time will tell I guess.

Don B

Sorry wormeaten.

I am not even going to reply to such nonsense I have a %10 Warning on my account due a similar topic and have been a member for 11 years was not happy on the out come.

As they say on the Dragons den "I m out" :)

Edited by freehand

Does ED intend to support this headset with its wider FOV?

From what I am reading , and I do not know how accurate this might be, but it appears they are achieving this 200 degree FOV by stretching the image. If that is true, will be interesting to see how that plays out in combat flight sims.

Don B