Arduino Nano USB Controller

Just watched this great little input device!

I wonder if it works like MMJOY? I only ask because I bought a couple of Nano's to run DCS Bios but like the idea of MMJOY being just an input device for any application.

I know the Arduinos required are not expensive but I have the Nanos to hand and want to mess around today!

This is the kinda thing I'm looking at now, AFAIK you need to set the Arduino up as a HID complaint device then create the records for the functions but i'm just starting to find out about this steep learning curve. :(

Here is some info on it from Atmel if no ones already done it and you can bed borrow or whatever the software. Otherwise looks like I have some reading to do, there are also more references at the end of the document.

More input,..:D

http://www.atmel.com/images/doc7599.pdf

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Yes, however you need to compile it then you can put it on the Nano there maybe be more to it buts that's about it.

It should give you some functionality but maybe you could do better, it's been a while since I did anything with AVR's

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Ive not used Arduino before but read a bit, I understand you make a sketch...so what is this that I downloaded that "should" be a Joystick Controller!

xwBLlHc.jpg

What do I do with it?!

Me neither. :lol:

Looks like the required files to compile the project into a what is essentially an executable. most likely using the Arduino or compatible compiler. (IDE)

A project is like a container that holds the required files or points to the required files. within the software you need to open the project compile the project and that should produce a binary file that you upload to the module.

The software will also have some way of copying the the binary file to the Nano??

Maybe someone more versed on Arduino can help?

Edited by FragBum
<typo>

You need to compile it (easiest would be using Atmel studio). Then load it onto the arduino with a In-Circuit-Programmer (or you can reprogram one of your arduino's and use that as a programmer to program this one).

This is not an Arduino sketch that can be loaded on using the Arduino software. It's a "normal" AVR project, designed to run on Arduino hardware.

*Edit*

If you hop into the "Release" directory you can see "JOYTEST-AUTO_02.hex". That's a precompiled version of the firmware. Load that up to a controller using Atmel Studio (or AVRDUDE) and you should have the demo program. But personally, I hate V-usb (worked with it a lot). With the current prices being as they are, I would go with a full-fledged USB version of the Atmel's (ATmega 32U4) like you can find on the Arduino Pro Micro.

I know you want to use the Nano because you have it in front of you and want to get going. But, don't forget you cannot connect over the onboard usb using V-USB. The onboard usb connector from a nano goes through a serial converter chip and only supports Serial Communication. V-Usb runs on 2 digital IO's where it "emulates" usb. So you need to solder on a usb cable/connector and some resistors and diodes before you can start using it. (check the schematic on that site)

Edited by CrashO
typo
  • Like 1

Nice thanks, I haven't used Atmel Studio for a long time 9still used serial (RS232) to program :D)

I'm waiting on my Mega 2560 R3 to arrive, I have already DL'd the CPU manual and the IDE manual. :thumbup:

Tiny FYI :smartass:

There is no difference between the Nano and Mega, when it comes to the USB part. Both don't support native USB (nano uses a FT232 converter, The Mega R3 uses a Atmega16u2) to send serial communication over USB, thus both require V-USB if you want to make a HID out of them. :D

Edited by CrashO
cleaned the ramblings up a bit

As I said it's been a while, I was just going for the I/O. :D

Thanks for the heads up.:thumbup:

With the current prices being as they are, I would go with a full-fledged USB version of the Atmel's (ATmega 32U4) like you can find on the Arduino Pro Micro.

... that allow use the MMjoy2 firmware, easy to flash (no "compile" required) made by flight simmer - the same that develop VirPil controller/sensors - to be a configurable "joystick" and not arcade control. ;)

BTW - Ready to use.

Edited by Sokol1_br

@ Mr Burns

I installed Atmel (Microchip) Studio to allow developing code for the Arduino AVR's etc, last night as well as windows and DCS and Oculus all deciding to do updates after the install.

This ended up breaking Oculus to the point where it just didn't work. I noticed when Atmel Studio installed it seemed to install USB drivers. I un-installed Atmel Studio but also had to un-install Oculus Rift re-installing fixed Rift.

I'll have another go tonight and see if I can get both Atmel Studio and Oculus to play together.

PS I looked at my projects based on the AT90S8535 AVR and noted the last date was 2004 using an old version of Atmel Studio. Gosh,.. :cry:

Or not, everything seems to work after AS 7 re-install tonight. :thumbup: