Park brakes catch

Sokol1_br

Yes, the 3D of the "catch" in control stick exist:

Park_Brake.jpg

But don't find a way to interact with the "catch" and keep the brake lever pressed until release the "catch", like in the videos, and is possible in P-51, with that T handle in lower panel.

The black strap move over that pin in brake handle and don't allow the handle move back if pilot remove the hand.

Edited by Sokol1_br

I don't quite understand you, as apart from turning on, it works the same way as in P-51 - when engaged, it remains engaged until you press the brakes key/button again.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I don't quite understand you, as apart from turning on, it works the same way as in P-51 - when engaged, it remains engaged until you press the brakes key/button again.

Is not how P-51 or (real) Spit parking brake work, you need unlock that T handle in P-51 for release the brakes, press the pedals without unlock the T handle do nothing, same in (real) Spit, is need move the catch from over the pin for the brake lever be able do move back for left.

Is like the parking brake on car, is need press that button on top of handle for unlock the mechanism an move the handle, try move the handle with unlock the pin don't work.

In the way that work now in Mk.IXe (mouse scrool) is just a "workaround", not "realistic". :music_whistling: ;)

Edited by Sokol1_br

OK, now I can uderstand your point about the real Spit, but you're still wrong about DCS P-51. Pressing the full toe brakes in that one unlocks parking brake, no need to touch T-handle at all. I don't know if that's how the real P-51 works, but that's how disablling the parking brake has been implemented (probably just copied) in the DCS Spit as well.

I agree, however, that implementation of catch removal by separate key/button command would be more realistic.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 4 years later...

I just thought about the strange park brake behaviour of the DCS Spitfire and came here to see if it has been addressed.

Is there really no way of setting the park brake with a key command?
As @Sokol1_br points out here, the parkbrake is engaged by holding the brake lever and securing it with a catch. I’d like to be able to assign that catch to a switch on my stick, instead of having to use the mouse.

I just tested, on the capture  the BTN1 works with a pushbutton and also with a switch ON/OFF

This also works if the brake is mapped to an axis (axis on Mini, switch or pushbutton ON)

The brake will be on Max until the switch or push button is released.

Interrupteur.jpg

Edited by Tanuki44
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanuki44 said:

But BTN1 works, press and hold the button, the brake will remain on, I don't understand what's wrong ....

What is wrong is that  not should press and hold W or button for park brakes.

But press W or Button, press the key or button for park brakes catch (similar to T lever in P-51 Mustang), leave and park brakes remain applied until the catch is liberated, is how park brakes work in real Spitfire (Hurricane, Beaufighter, Blenheim, Mosquito....).

Hurri-brakes.jpg

Edited by Sokol1_br
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanuki44 said:

Yes, see the screenshot, the joystick button #1 is mapped to this command.

Yes, this button must be held for the brakes to be on. If you let go of the button, the brakes are released. 
The real Spitfire parkingbrake, as @Sokol1_br describes, requires the pilot to hold the brake lever and activating the brakes and then lock the brake lever with a catch.

The Mosquito has a similar parkbrake where you hold the brake and lock it with a pin.

Using the W key on the keyboard only works if you have a button that is always on, when pressed. It is better to use the BTN4, in your screenshot. That will increase the brakes to full, and leave it there. But for more realism, you should activate the brakes and then lock it, just like in the Mosquito.

It’s not a big problem, but I think it will be easy to fix if ED wants to.