what is DCS: NS430

Abburo

Gazelle and Mirage got INS, why the need of GPS ?

The INS is limited to waypoints made in the briefing or created using the F10 map ratios, and the INS system is not very accurate. I really enjoy making free flights in Nevada, especially when I get home tired after a long day at work. With the INS system I can only go to certain points in the briefing, creating several waypoints during a free flight, it is very laborious, since with GPS the free flight becomes more interesting because I can go from one point to the other knowing exactly where I am, I can locate nearby bases without having to look at the F10 map ...

I believe that after developed, it is much simpler to implement it in aircraft, if we have this feature, why not use it?

L-39 is also capable of using it too AFAIK.

8NW9FO4.jpg

Very cool, Vitor Moura. I really was enthusiastic about this feature. As I said, once you have clarified which aircraft will equip this GPS and what the pricing policy will be, I will definitely buy it (provided the price is not absurd).

Windows 10 64 Bits | Intel I7-3770 | Corsair H100i | 16GB DDR3 | 128GB + 480gb SSD | GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | TrackIR 5 | HOTAS Warthog | CH Pro Pedals

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

lol i have no problems flying a 737 to any aiport with their stars/sids but yet im unable to navigate a mig21,

its me i skipped some stuff while learning or its normal? :book:

I'd say it requires a well prepared and drawn flight plan on the kneeboard at best, plus many info that have to be written manually in the briefing. Otherwise it's nearly impossible to navigate by watching the instruments only. It all depends on the creator of the mission but if everything is provided, what you have to do only is to understand the logic of the deviation bar of the HSI, the rest is intuitive.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

I'd say it requires a well prepared and drawn flight plan on the kneeboard at best, plus many info that have to be written manually in the briefing. Otherwise it's nearly impossible to navigate by watching the instruments only. It all depends on the creator of the mission but if everything is provided, what you have to do only is to understand the logic of the deviation bar of the HSI, the rest is intuitive.

oh okey, i tought you ppl can spawn a mig21 in any place and navigate to any place they wanted with the radios.

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

I'm hesitant to post in this thread but had a question about the capability of the NS430 and thought this might be the place to post it.

Are there plans to have it integrate with the Mi-8's built-in HSI? It seems the manual provided by Belsimtek hints at this capability but it doesn't seem to work currently.

I've read it in this thread that the GPS unit also works in 1.5 (not 1.5 beta). I run 1.5, but there seems to be no way to install it in regular 1.5. Is it that you can only install it in 1.5 beta, and once installed it works in both versions? Or else how do I install it in regular 1.5, it doesn't show up in the module manager...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

I think this question should also be asked for the l-39.

Doubtful the Garmin is compatible with the Mi8s built in HSI. A Garmin compatible HSI or CDI would be required.

http://www.experts123.com/q/what-indicators-can-be-used-with-the-garmin-gns-430-and-530-series-systems.html

Edited by Cake

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

I've read it in this thread that the GPS unit also works in 1.5 (not 1.5 beta). I run 1.5, but there seems to be no way to install it in regular 1.5. Is it that you can only install it in 1.5 beta, and once installed it works in both versions? Or else how do I install it in regular 1.5, it doesn't show up in the module manager...

Need to wait roughly a week until the changes from the beta branch make it to stable.

Are there plans to have it integrate with the Mi-8's built-in HSI? It seems the manual provided by Belsimtek hints at this capability but it doesn't seem to work currently.

Mi-8 doesn't have an HSI in the normal sense. It really just has an ADF indicator.

I have no idea if BST plans to model one, though the request is probably worth a separate thread.

--gos

GPS is simply a data source used to help keep an inertial navigation system aligned.

Needed? Who knows, but should increase accuracy. Would also allow you to perform in-flight alignment like on the A-10C.

The NS430 is tied into the aircrafts INS? I thought it is entirely independent. :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The NS430 is tied into the aircrafts INS? I thought it is entirely independent. :huh:

Neither the Mi-8 nor the L-39 has an INS, so no.

In certain integrated systems GPS can be used for providing correction data for an INS (combining the short term accuracy of INS with the long term accuracy of GPS, via a kalman filter), but the only aircraft in DCS where this is theoretically possible is the A-10C (the only other INS equipped aircraft (Mirage 2000) doesn't use GPS).

Neither the Mi-8 nor the L-39 has an INS, so no.

In certain integrated systems GPS can be used for providing correction data for an INS (combining the short term accuracy of INS with the long term accuracy of GPS, via a kalman filter), but the only aircraft in DCS where this is theoretically possible is the A-10C (the only other INS equipped aircraft (Mirage 2000) doesn't use GPS).

I know about the principles and I think the A-10C is not the only aircraft in DCS where this is (theoretically) possible, because this also applies to the Ka-50 IIRC (unless the GPS/GLONASS and the INS on the KA-50 are really totally seperated which I'm not entirely sure atm).

But in case of the A-10C these systems (GPS and INS) are well integrated into the aircrafts systems. What I wanted to know is, if an external device (the NS 430 in this case) can be tied to the aircrafts INS as well.

As you already said, neither the Mi-8 nor the L-39 has an INS, so this question is aiming at future implementations of the NS430 to aircraft with INS (Gazelle, Mirage) and how this is in real life.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

can we import a flight plan ? The way we do it via flight planner route etc ?

The sounds like a cool module, but yet to really use it, we need bigger maps :D

That was the question I was going to ask: Can I import my .gpx files from my moving map?

Like this...

hktgisG.jpg

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

But in case of the A-10C these systems (GPS and INS) are well integrated into the aircrafts systems. What I wanted to know is, if an external device (the NS 430 in this case) can be tied to the aircrafts INS as well.

Usually they can't, especially a basic commercial GPS unit like Garmin GNS. Older INS units are separate, modern navigation systems integrate everything (GPS, INS, radio navigation) into one package, but then you don't need a separate GPS like GNS 430.

In Ka-50 it's totally separate, ABRIS uses only GNSS, while the rest of the navigation systems and autopilot use INS.

And Gazelle doesn't even have INS. It's a doppler system, like the one we already had in Mi-8.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Thanks guys for the additional information and corrections! :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

Oops. You're right about the Ka-50. I haven't flown it for 1.5 years, so I completely forgot about that.

In principle i could be possible, but it all depends on which I/O signals you have available on the different systems. I would imagine that the GNS430 supports some kind of data output, either via serial NMEA messages or a proprietary binary protocol, but interfacing this with an existing IMU that isn't built for it isn't a trivial task. So if the Mirage INS supported any kind of GPS augmentation it would probably already have the GPS receiver integrated.

And IIRC, the Gazelle does not have an INS. The NADIR system is a doppler navigation radar.

Edit: sniped! By several folks. That's what you get for writing half of the post before and half after a 45min meeting...

Edited by drPhibes

Oops. You're right about the Ka-50. I haven't flown it for 1.5 years, so I completely forgot about that.

In principle i could be possible, but it all depends on which I/O signals you have available on the different systems. I would imagine that the GNS430 supports some kind of data output, either via serial NMEA messages or a proprietary binary protocol, but interfacing this with an existing IMU that isn't built for it isn't a trivial task. So if the Mirage INS supported any kind of GPS augmentation it would probably already have the GPS receiver integrated.

And IIRC, the Gazelle does not have an INS. The NADIR system is a doppler navigation radar.

Edit: sniped! By several folks. That's what you get for writing half of the post before and half after a 45min meeting...

Yes, in theory it would surely be possible if you put enough effort on tweaking the interfacing, but my original question was about what is actually done in real life and would/will be done in DCS, as a respond to this comment:

Gazelle and Mirage got INS, why the need of GPS ?

GPS is simply a data source used to help keep an inertial navigation system aligned.

Needed? Who knows, but should increase accuracy. Would also allow you to perform in-flight alignment like on the A-10C.

Tornado3 small.jpg

can this device see the flight plans that are created via editor or campaigns automatically or do we have to create flight plan manually every time?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

2. The Device is a Complex device, with it's own O/S and Functions.

Such systems doesn't usually have operating systems, as those are most often embedded systems for reliability and simplicity.

(Meaning you write the code directly to the hardware, just like programs were used to be programmed before operating systems were designed to sit between hardware and programs as need to port the programs to other computers became much required)

But yes, a paid DLC that is cheap one that adds such functionality to many aircrafts is needed for many and doesn't make it any simpler when it is simulating the real one.

Personally I don't see so much need for those, as what I really need is a map, direction, time, speed and distance where to go and you can navigate all around the world. Or just look the funny HSI :megalol:

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Such systems doesn't usually have operating systems, as those are most often embedded systems for reliability and simplicity.

(Meaning you write the code directly to the hardware, just like programs were used to be programmed before operating systems were designed to sit between hardware and programs as need to port the programs to other computers became much required)

But yes, a paid DLC that is cheap one that adds such functionality to many aircrafts is needed for many and doesn't make it any simpler when it is simulating the real one.

Personally I don't see so much need for those, as what I really need is a map, direction, time, speed and distance where to go and you can navigate all around the world. Or just look the funny HSI :megalol:

you know what I mean, lol.

Embedded, O/S, Firmware.

It has it's own Software Environment from which it resides/functions.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs