A funny experiment with Mig-21

Alfredson007

a former finnish testpilot said on one youtube video that he once told his fellow saab draken pilots to see how steeply mig-21 can take off, having just 500 litres of fuel in -25 celsius weather and some headwind, how the plane climbs like 1:1 ratio including the takeoff roll, 45 degree nose up etc. The saab pilots were impressed, because he did not mention anything how low he was on fuel.

It's a fun experiment that works well. If you want to take it to the extreme, climb steeply to 6kms or so, and land, i ran out of fuel on taxiway about one minute after leaving runway .. :pilotfly:

Edited by Alfredson007

Usually i take it to very extreme, i climb at 50-55 degrees nose up for a while and avoidin 0G so my engines won't die, then i roll the plane over and when the nose is towards horizon and i have 400kmh or so i'll idle and do a tight pattern. The whole flight is over within few minutes. If you are efficient you have "plenty" of fuel.

This is actually my new favourite if i want to do a very quickie flight with MiG.

Remember to set -25 celsius and maybe a tad higher than standard air pressure helps too.

Now it's a rocket

nice experiment....

I just did 2 attempts. one with 23°C and one with -1.3°C...

how can you adjust -25°C?

the funny part is landing the mig with now the dead engine, that is a pretty good training...

from weather tab in mission editor i just put -25.. nothing to it.. and add some air pressure etc... i do not have to do dead stick landing, even though i only have fumes left on ground

Here's 0-11000 ft with extreme climb angle :D

I have tried to do similar..

I just cannot set the temp. below -1.6°C. I think this is due to the fact that I fly in Tonopah..

Anyhow, I have just tried to zoom +5000m.

Means from 1670 to 7000 ASL.

I have found that the steepest climb, is not the fastes... as expected, but nice to see...

Makes 1.25min to go to climb 5000m..... THAT is cool.....

Sorry, I did not record audio.... :cry: