Depression sight

heroe

noob question

I come from modern aircraft where the computer does everything and I'm new to the F-5, I'm trying out the bombing charts of this plane but something I do not understand (or I do) in some profiles the sight depression is greater than 200 and That I understand is that the maximum depression is 200, maybe I'm reading badly the charts, can someone help me? :helpsmilie:

I have also wondered this, and having done some extensive work with the bomb tables, I have come to believe that this is a result of mass calculation of values, which results in some that are beyond 200. These values exist, I believe, to show that releases at certain attitudes are impractical or impossible to do with any degree of accuracy.

From a flight planning perspective, I think they exist to show the flight planner that "what you want to do is not doable".

Just my two cents. What weapons are you wanting to use? I can perhaps recommend something different.

I have been finding it difficult to find the best gun sight depression settings as well. Mainly with bombs(Mk-82) so I typically just use 80 and and always try to start at +5000 above target.(and still miss after lots of practice) This is not always practical or the best option. I have referenced a few different chart including the ones posted here with very little success. Even with rockets setting depression around 10-15, I still end up in a suicide dive and pulling up and the last second if I really want make sure I am on target.(This is a dangerous and ill advised maneuver) There has to be a logical equation as to what to set the depression to. It would seem if you had all the variables i.e. Alt, Speed, Dive Angle, etc etc and you enter them into an equation it would give you a consistent accurate setting. This would be useful when spotting targets on the fly and quick calculator skills. Has anyone tried crunching the number to see if such an equation exists?

I can perhaps recommend something different.
Yes please any advise, tricks, opinions, for all types of weapons would be valuable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attached is what I use... all the MK82s are reliable... The CBU52 Not sure about... The rest you can give them a shot see how they work for you.

In these depression tables, for the MK 82s I always use 30 degrees dive angle. Its the best ... Not too steep to allow for safe recovery after release but not too shallow and which allows for greater accuracy.

As a rule I dive in from at least 10,000 feet AGL to give me time to prep for release. I know the ground altitude, I scan between Attitude, Airspeed, and Altitude. When I am to the release point I release... If I am a bit fast I put the pipper in front of target if I am too slow I put the pipper past the target.

For the F5 if I if there is a limit on altitude such as cloud decks or possibly fighters where I need to go in low. I take Snake eyes or Rockets. But for accurate bombing with Mk82s above is how I have been doing it with 90% success.