Spitfire skins by jocko417

jocko417

I'll post new skins here...

Just about ready to start uploading, have been tweaking things for 2.1 and the Normandy map. Have added some details and corrected some minor problems with the template, just OCD Spit stuff like which way the cam lock head slots are supposed to be oriented when fastened, there are only 7 of them along the rear edge of the top cowl, not 10, etc... real nerd things :P

Tweaking the spec files to take advantage of the new lighting, chips and scratches, etc. Added new exhaust effects like lead staining.

Cv4EE1.bmp

XRysAk.bmp

WHa8fl.bmp

I'm very happy that my work on spit exhaust pipe is now in the open world and well used.:thumbup:

good work

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

You have used the incorrect roundels on the wings. The yellow ring ones were only ever used on the fuselage.

Not quite true, Neil:

Spitfire_Mk_LF_XVIe_TD248_20060708-(2).jpg

C Type Roundel with Yellow outer: Upper wings and fuselage sides of all 2 TAF bombers and photo-reconnaissance Spitfires, January 1945 to early 1947. Upper and lower wings and fuselage sides of 2 TAF fighters (e.g.: Hawker Tempest) January 1945 to early 1947.

Very late war, but correct

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

I'm very happy that my work on spit exhaust pipe is now in the open world and well used.:thumbup:

good work

It may not be apparent due to the angle the screenshots were taken at but I haven't borrowed anything. If/when I do, I always ask permission in advance and credit the original artist in the ReadMe. With the exception of official DCS template layers, any weathering effects on the Spit are all my own.

Yours:

AScwU3.bmp

Mine:

SFkedL.bmp

If I have misunderstood the intent of your post I apologize.

Finally finished my Invasion Stripes... :eek: the mapping nearly killed me!

Anyway, now that the full stripes are done it should be easy to make the other versions seen in the months after D-Day.

zyHvBo.bmp

Made a version specifically for mission builders so you can use codes and serials without having them obscured by the stripes.

KY9Uqv.bmp

New liveries to follow.

Invasion Stripes!

This skin should be ideal for mission builders/virtual squadrons, as a single livery can be used for all, with individual code letters and serials added by the game. Includes my (Sky) code letters and serial number characters.

BOoO5a.bmp

8fhFsJ.bmp

56YJLi.bmp

Available here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2810301/

Edited by jocko417

Lovely work!

Thank you!

Looking forward to more.

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

rust effect "here" is my work but i really don't mind you use it for sure, don't worry. it's GPL free license ;-), and I don't ask to "credit to my work"

I'm just a bit pround that my work is used in small details, and I find that's funny, that's all, unfact you don't know it .;)

SFkedL2.thumb.jpg.24c1d5be437f175f35f656270b412e3b.jpg

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

rust effect "here" is my work but i really don't mind you use it for sure, don't worry. it's GPL free license ;-), and I don't ask to "credit to my work"

I'm just a bit pround that my work is used in small details, and I find that's funny, that's all, unfact you don't know it .;)

With respect, and as stated previously, I have only used existing textures as provided by ED in

1) The default Spit livery available here:

D:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\CoreMods\WWII Units\SpitfireLFMkIX\Textures\SpitfireIXc\SpitfireIX_DIF

(your location may vary)

and,

2) The official SpitfireIX template.

Here is the relevant section of the default skin showing the pipes:

XheUEN.bmp

Here is the same section, showing the "Dirt" layer from the official template against a neutral grey background:

4jpqb8.bmp

Please compare the above pics to the circled portions in the pic you last posted.

The default exhaust stacks are, in my opinion, too uniform in colour and too dark when compared to actual aircraft. In making my exhaust pipe texture I wanted to get an effect like this picture:

WFlPWo.jpg

I made my exhaust pipes by manipulating the existing official textures, like this:

I started with the pipes from the default texture:

Zv9kiR.bmp

I made a copy of the pipes themselves:

RIPjLk.bmp

I used the colourize tool and adjusted the Hue, Saturation, and Lightness sliders to get a nice Bronze/Brown colour:

I9AMdQ.bmp

I lowered the opacity of this layer to 40%.

mqk1HW.bmp

Then, because I wanted some of the pipes to be lighter in colour, I took a copy of the lower pipes and using the Bucket Fill tool set to Colour Erase, I pulled all the black out of it:

UNxlZM.bmp

This gets rid of all the dark areas and leaves the whites, purples and golds which will add highlights.

Combining these layers gives you this:

mXGJJN.bmp

And here are all the layers with the default skin underneath:

tonzVU.bmp

Compare that to my existing template (or my uploaded skins):

Zkkufa.bmp

Now, if your work was contributed to ED and was included in either their default texture or the official template, or both, then yes, I guess I have used it.

Edited by jocko417
Spelling

You're totally right. I'm confused this dark round comes from defaut textures and also on old spit livery we can see it. ...

Unfact, here is an other attempt i've done recently to match real photo, with success, give it a look if you're interested in. ;-)

exhaust.JPG.d8fe52762345b08c42d09465038dc6ff.JPG

exhaust.psd

1672591288_DCS2017-07-2912-06-54-64.thumb.jpg.c453358387a5c459c56e31893085d088.jpg

Edited by snowsniper

105 Squadron, IAF

EyNZyE.bmp

Something different. Spitfire IX of 105 (Scorpion) Squadron, IAF, circa 1955.

Keep in mind the actual aircraft was a clipped wing, broad chord rudder Mark IXe... and the camo right now is a place holder while I adjust the colours. The real aircraft had a very different camo pattern.

Still some work to do, making the squadron nose art now.

Edited by jocko417
  • Like 1

They were big "L" plates werent they ! Great skins as usual Jocko :)

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Excellent work there Snowsniper! Thank you for sharing the texture so that others can get the great effect for their liveries.

Ditto - thanks Snowsniper !

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

414 RCAF "City of Sarnia", Fighter Recon Unit

This will probably be the next release, once I get the camera ports set up the way I want in the normal map. The real aircraft had teardrop shaped fairings on both sides surrounding the camera ports... which I have not included because they look too fake when drawn on :)

MJ351, coded "S", flown by F/L Ken Lawson of No. 414 Squadron, 39 Reconnaissance Wing, RCAF.

Late war 2TAF paint scheme includes Night coloured spinner and no Sky fuselage band. 36" Type III nationality markings in all 6 locations.

Will probably include a sister ship, "R", as flown by S/L G. Wonnacott, when he scored 3 victories on Jan. 1st, 1945 during the Bodenplatte attacks.

CoAmej.bmp

j4oMfI.bmp

Edited by jocko417