Spitfire Mk.IXc EN398 of Johnnie Johnson

Reflected

I think this is the 2nd or 3rd JE-J skin I see :D

But it's a nice one

There maybe 2-3 versions,but Reflected's version has the correct font for the Squadron code lettering.

Greg,this is a beauty mate 1st Class Sir !

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Thanks everyone :) Yes, there's been a few JE-Js, but I think most are later variants with invasion stripes. Anyway, I just wanted to do my own version, and you can pick whichever you prefer.

I spent ages fine tuning the grey and green camo. Just like on real pictures, they can be very contrasty or blend together depending on the lights. So it was really tough to find what's "right".

PS: CHSubZero, thanks again for your help with the description.lua!

• 8 months later...

Thanks Reflected...Wing Co Johnson needs to be represented having scored most of his "kills" in the IX. You have chosen the red maple leaf, which I think is correct. Some model kits give you red and green. A bet each way. Your depiction is spot on and proud to fly it.

• 1 year later...

I remember seeing a video of Johnnie talking at a club long after the war in which he described the aircraft that he flew and he did say that it had a green maple leaf on the side. If I can find a clip I will post it.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

That’s lovely

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

From The Spitfire Site

- http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/johnnie-johnsons-spitfire-revisited.html

we have the following extract -

A peculiarity visible on the photos of EN398 is the patch of fresh paint between the roundel and the forward “J”, apparently a sign of some repainting. It could have been a fresh application of Ocean Grey – as shown here – or some other colour, perhaps grey-green primer.

A Canadian Maple leaf on a white circular background was carried on both sides of the fuselage under the windscreen. Its colour has been a matter of some controversy. In his memories, Johnson stated that the the leaf on his aircraft was green. However, all the Canadian squadrons of the Kenley wing had this national symbol painted in red. Was green the conscious decision on the part of Johnnie to underline his British origin, or did the memory fail him on this rather small detail? Perhaps we will never know. I have chosen red for my profiles.

It is known that “Johnnie” customised his aircraft. Like many other aces, he ordered EN398’s guns to be harmonized according to his personal preference. Judging from the photos it would also seem that the circular rear view mirror was attached to a modified, taller mount.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat