2.0 or 1.5

captain_dalan

Hey ya!

Just got the NTTR map and installed 2.0 on my HD. So...yey! Now i have both 1.5 and 2.0. Which is cool. I also have less then 20GB free space, which is not cool. So i'm having a dilemma; which should i keep? Is there a way to interchange seamlessly between the two or merge them? What are the pros and cons of both?

Thanks in advance, all input is much appreciated!!!! :thumbup:

Cheers and safe flying! :pilotfly:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

In my opinion, don't bother with 1.5. It had a great run, but there is no point fighting the change anymore. 2.1 will become 2.5 (the merge between versions), rendering 1.5 obsolete. Sure, there are fewer MP servers atm and DCS 2 is in heavy development, but this is the future. Might aswell jump on the train right now...

• Like 1

In my opinion, don't bother with 1.5. It had a great run, but there is no point fighting the change anymore. 2.1 will become 2.5

The problem is when will that happen, can be in 2 or 3 months or a year and a half, my advice is to keep the 1.5, since Nevada can become "boring" very soon, you can´t do realistic combat missions there. So until there is more info about 2.5 and when it will be ready, I would´t remove the 1.5 for now.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies so far guys! Really appreciate it :thumbup:

The thing about Nevada that i dislike is that it's not really a combat theater. But it just looks so lovely, it's just eye watering! :cry:

And yeah, i am thinking of getting a new hard drive for some time now, but i'm also fishing for a new graphics card and possibly a new HOTAS. The HOTAS is not a priority, but the graphics card is. Well...not really, but with all the shinies coming out in foreseeable future (looking at carrier ops and F-14 mostly), i have a feeling i'll need one. :joystick:

The F-14 will probably come with its own theater, but has there been any info on the F-18?

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Stick with 1.5 for now. I have only NTTR and Normandie installed and I'm not playing them cause it's too bugged atm.

^^^ This!

• Like 1

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Are they really that bugged? I've had only one crash so far, but then again i only flew few instant actions and a couple of free flights. (The crash occurred on the 2nd free flight when i was pulling out of my canyon run and scraping the dirt along the hillsides).

But if you fly both (like I do...1.5 has some training missions etc.) and you don't want to fix two controller configs:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3196606&postcount=1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

In my opinion, don't bother with 1.5. It had a great run, but there is no point fighting the change anymore. 2.1 will become 2.5 (the merge between versions), rendering 1.5 obsolete. Sure, there are fewer MP servers atm and DCS 2 is in heavy development, but this is the future. Might aswell jump on the train right now...

Don't forget though, that the 2.x version installed on your machine is under the Alpha branch install.

1.5 is the current version on the Release branch.

When the great merge happens, 2.5 will eventually end up on Release and I very much suspect the public Alpha branch may no longer get updated after that happens.

Don't forget though, that the 2.x version installed on your machine is under the Alpha branch install.

1.5 is the current version on the Release branch.

When the great merge happens, 2.5 will eventually end up on Release and I very much suspect the public Alpha branch may no longer get updated after that happens.

100% agree. The release version is 1.5, so when the final DCS 2 si out, it will be under the release version and the alpha will cease to exist.

Maybe someone from ED can confirm this theory.

• Like 1

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

It's possible to switch between all versions using the DCS Updater. Of course downloads will always take a while, but if disk space is really low, this would be a good way to keep only one version installed and switch between them if the need arises.

GUIDE: Using DCS Updater to Update, Revert, Repair, or Install Modules

To switch to the latest version of one of the branches, the commands are:

DCS_updater.exe update @release

DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

DCS_updater.exe update @openalpha

• Like 1

Thanks for all the good advice!

I just couldn't bring myself up to uninstall either yet, so i tried to free up some space. It's only a temporary measure, but i got some extra 40GB by deleting old media files and some games i don't intend on playing any time soon.

I sure hope this merge isn't too far long in the future :P

• Like 1

Thanks for all the good advice!

I just couldn't bring myself up to uninstall either yet, so i tried to free up some space. It's only a temporary measure, but i got some extra 40GB by deleting old media files and some games i don't intend on playing any time soon.

I sure hope this merge isn't too far long in the future :P

Been there. It is now one year since I started with dcs. My ssd kept getting fuller and fuller. There was no space for Normandie, so I started moving 2.0 to another disk. But that disk was not ssd and that was way too slow to have fun. In the end I did what most others did (you can read it in their message footers) i got another ssd just for dcs.

Yes, yes, I know, i'm a dcs junky. At least I know it.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Been there. It is now one year since I started with dcs. My ssd kept getting fuller and fuller. There was no space for Normandie, so I started moving 2.0 to another disk. But that disk was not ssd and that was way too slow to have fun. In the end I did what most others did (you can read it in their message footers) i got another ssd just for dcs.

Yes, yes, I know, i'm a dcs junky. At least I know it.

I was playing with the idea of committing an entire drive for DCS alone, but i already have 2 and will need to re evaluate by power supply to see if it can deal with e third.

As for Normandy..... with Dunkirk out, i just hope they don't decide to release more good WW2 movies! If i get the prop itch..... where or where will i put that map on.... :doh:

I was playing with the idea of committing an entire drive for DCS alone, but i already have 2 and will need to re evaluate by power supply to see if it can deal with e third.

As for Normandy..... with Dunkirk out, i just hope they don't decide to release more good WW2 movies! If i get the prop itch..... where or where will i put that map on.... :doh:

I have 6 drives. But my new ssd is actually not connected to sata, but m.2 using an adapter card. About 6 times faster. But you will need enough free lanes on your motherboard.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Stick with 1.5 for now. I have only NTTR and Normandie installed and I'm not playing them cause it's too bugged atm.

I fully agree

1.5.7 is still fun - 2.1 is not much fun due to bad performance (Normandie) and bugs.

I still prefer Caucasus scenery over NTTR.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

The problem is when will that happen, can be in 2 or 3 months or a year and a half, my advice is to keep the 1.5, since Nevada can become "boring" very soon, you can´t do realistic combat missions there. So until there is more info about 2.5 and when it will be ready, I would´t remove the 1.5 for now.

:thumbup:

Exactly! Stick with 1.5 .:thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Their both Excellant in their own ways right now. 1.5 is out and gas more Polish, but 2.1 is giving you the eye candy tease but as the new texture meshes get worked out, you may hit a bug or two. Their are some good packs out now for 2.1, and a few that cross over from 1.5, check the forum user mods and the 476th website for some more. Enjoy!

6D80k38.jpg

Their both Excellant in their own ways right now. 1.5 is out and gas more Polish, but 2.1 is giving you the eye candy tease but as the new texture meshes get worked out, you may hit a bug or two. Their are some good packs out now for 2.1, and a few that cross over from 1.5, check the forum user mods and the 476th website for some more. Enjoy!

Yeah i did have a couple (literally a couple) of crashes so far. One was in an F-15C in an extremely low (sand hugging) high speed pass over the desert and the other was during taxiing in an F-5E after landing the bugger. Can't remember the runway. It was the closest one to you in that quick action versus match against the F-14A......

Surprisingly stable so far :thumbup: