SU-33 Heavy Sky campaign delete it

Hello,

I just installed the new update 1.5.7 for my Steam version and I was excited to continue my Heavy Sky campaign with the new features of the SU-33 but when I went to continue it, it was gone, totally erased. What could happen. there's a way to get it back?

Thank you.

So I guess there's no way to get back the files of the campaign. It's a shame because I never had any issues with it.

I have been doing some work on those missions previously but they are only half done in dcs v1.126 format and need to be retested in what ever version is about when I finish all of them such as dcs 1.57x. (My work was being handed to WAGS at ED for inclusion to there dcs general releases, I don't know where I stand as such now as I am not the original author. (ED rep did ask me to let him know when I finish them)

I was in no hurry to do anything with these missions as there were no forum complains about them not working correctly. I have also found them quite basic in nature and I can't get the AI aircraft to mimic the flying of a human pilot for a self test function of the missions.

I replied about this in another forum and ED seemed interested in them when I finish them. So they could be coming back in the near future if I can get motivated.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

.. So they could be coming back in the near future if I can get motivated.

I hope that you will get encouragement from ED and/or Wags, since I'm a big fan of your work updating these Campaigns and with the upcoming update of the Su-33 I'm sure a lot of users would like to play these campaigns.

I have put in my Mod manager almost all of the Campaigns that you've fixed, tough I haven't yet completed through all of them, tough I intend to eventually play them all:

ovgme_mods.png

.. I haven't yet found a bug that prevented a mission from being completed :) ... so good work and thanks a lot for all your troubles. Best regards,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hey that's awesome MadDog. As Rudel I also hope ED pay close attention to your effort. Because that campaign is one of my favorites it has different kinds of missions and is plenty more complete than Sea Dragon, which is too short.

Cheers up.

Hi,

Hope ED's doesnt mind if I share the campaign files with you:

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=165747&d=1499970528

It's in OvGME format, but you can decompress it manually and then use JSGME to install it.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, I am glad someone is getting some joy out of the repaired missions.

I am currently on holiday for a few weeks and have had a productive last few days getting the Su-33 Heavy Sky missions going that I was previously stuck on, those are now fixed, so at least I have the ball rolling again.

Current progress: (SU-33 Heavy Sky Campaign)

• Missions 1 - 20 are working well in the old DCS v1.216.
  • Missions 20 - 25 are in varying states of repair and will need AI logic for aircraft and vehicles, voice overs, balancing and Briefing changes to make missions doable.
  • Last and final stage to do once all missions are completed is to import and convert to DCS 1.57x format, then correct F-15c pylon / Aim-120 missile fault, Time of Day issues with wrong lighting, add extra advanced waypoint options to aircraft so they don't dump their ordinance when attacked, etc.

Time Frame:

• Best guess to finish would be 1-2 months depending on issues faced when ported to DCS 1.57x as I may get more issues than I am use to with previous versions (this has slowed progress in the past), also when and if ED decide to include in the release versions again. As the main man says, it will be done when it is done.

Regards, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC
Updated 10 more missions from mission 10-20

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Thanks a lot for the detailed heads up :) ... I find it amazing that this old campaigns had so many missions (25); quite a contrast with the usual 10-12 missions of the typical payware Campaign.

best regards.

• 1 month later...
Thanks a lot for the detailed heads up :) ... I find it amazing that this old campaigns had so many missions (25); quite a contrast with the usual 10-12 missions of the typical payware Campaign.

Some campaigns are quality over quantity, some are simpler and numerous, this one falls into the later. With all respect to the the original author, this one was a real chore to fix, due to its repeative nature (in my humble opinion).

Current progress: (SU-33 Heavy Sky Campaign) at 01-09-2017

• Missions 1 - 25 are all working well in the old DCS v1.216 with AI logic for aircraft and vehicles, voice overs, balancing and briefing changes to make missions doable.
  • Converted whole campaign missions to DCS 1.57x format.
  • Corrected the F-15c pylon / Aim-120C missiles issue in all missions.
  • Added extra advanced waypoint options to CAS, SEAD and BOMBER aircraft so they don't dump their ordinance when attacked, etc.

Time Frame to finish (DONE):

• Checked each mission now to see if they still play the same and have the same "Time of Day lighting".
  • All missions are finished and will be available initially on the Eagle Dynamics Web sites under the User files section within the next couple of days.
  • Passing on to WAG or CHIZH to try and get it re-instated into the FC3 package again before the end of next month (September) to coincide with the release of the Flaming Cliffs SU-33 new flight model.

Early released versions for anyone that wants to give them a go, If you have already downloaded previously, I would re-download them as I have now tested them in DCS v1.57x and made some very minor corrections for some issues.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwhdrystpinsm6u/DCSW%20-%20SU-33%20Campaign%20-%20Heavy%20Sky%20%28Patch%20to%20Game%29%20%28v1.57x%29.zip?dl=0

or

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2873763/

19-11-2017 Update:

Finalized versions have been re-uploaded to both sights above, recommend you re-download if you have previous versions as Mission 25 works much better now, and there are some IL-78 tankers in other missions now.

Regards, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC
Added finished release versions of Campaign for some feedback

DCS Tech Support.

Thanks a lot .. will try them out, as I'm practicing the Su-33 a bit in anticipation of the new version. Will give feedback if I find anything unusual.

Thanks a lot .. will try them out, as I'm practicing the Su-33 a bit in anticipation of the new version. Will give feedback if I find anything unusual.

Please re-download the newer version available now and retry.

ED fellows want some reviews from the common foke:music_whistling:on how they are working, I need to know about any issues, so would appreciate any constructive feedback from as many players as possible.

Known stuff:

• The final mission #25 which has a refueling stage that you must do to get to your destination, it needs some extra work that I can't figure out how I am going to do it. Currently mission requires you to dock with the refueling basket once and once only for a complete refuel of at least 3 minutes before a disconnect other wise the logic is most likely not going to work correctly. I don't want to use MIST and script to check on fuel quantity that flight takes on to make sure player is Air to Air competent.

Cheers, Ian.

DCS Tech Support.

OK, I havent yet reached mission 25 ... but will re-download and tell you if I find any trouble or bug :) Thanks a lot for your effort ... the Campaign may be simple, but as a newbie I prefer it that way.

Best regards.

Thank you very much MadDog, you rock. As soon as I can I´ll give it a try and then come back to give you a feedback.

Cheers.

No problems, enjoy.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts, as you have played it before.

Is the game play harder, the same or easier than you remember ??

PS:

Recent news is that this campaign will only be considered for restoration by ED once DCS v2.5 is out with the new Caucusas map.

Regards, Ian.

DCS Tech Support.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. As expected, with new PFM Su-33 AI wingmen simply fail to take off from carrier - they just fall into water. And you're left alone to complete the task.

Hoping, this will be fixed in future. Some existing workaround for now is to reduce AI's amount of fuel: for AI at takeoff position #2 - to 20% (otherwise he failt to take off), and for AI at position #3 - to 60%.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

... Some existing workaround for now is to reduce AI's amount of fuel: for AI at takeoff position #2 - to 20% (otherwise he failt to take off), and for AI at position #3 - to 60%.

If you are editing the missions, another option would be to increase the carrier speed and add a bit of oncoming wind.

If you are editing the missions, another option would be to increase the carrier speed and add a bit of oncoming wind.

Carrier seems to be already at its top speed (~60 kph) in these missions. I think the main issue now is that with new FM AI's simply dont know how to take off correctly :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Taking notice of recent developments and solutions, will be correcting Su-33 Campaigns when I formulate a plan.

In the Su-33 Heavy sky campaign I updated recently (Was to co-inside with new Su-33 PFM) how ever I had no way of testing it until now, nearly all carriers where set into the wind and to cruise at max speed, but the speed of the wind was not altered and may need increasing and also the distance that the carrier travels, to make sure it is at top speed on launch of aircraft.

The Su-33 Sea Dragon campaign is another kettle of fish, it is an unknown when it comes to what the carrier speeds were set to and was it into the wind, what strength the wind was set at.

I really don't want to drop the fuel or weapons load if I can fix it other ways.

I don't know real world stats for the carrier take offs and such, but I have to agree that the AI driven su-33 aircraft just doesn't seem right on how to take-off from the carrier. I know that counts for nort, but as WAG's dropped me a line tonight about all this, he must be confident that the physics are correct and asked for fuel load change in the aircraft.

Thank you for your reports.

Regards, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC

DCS Tech Support.

...but the speed of the wind was not altered and may need increasing and also the distance that the carrier travels, to make sure it is at top speed on launch of aircraft.

With admittedly limited testing, I think you're going to find that the wind isn't going to make enough difference for the AI. The human flier's life gets easier but the AI's does not seem to. Even tried it with uncomfortably heavy wind and the AI did no better.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Yep. As expected, with new PFM Su-33 AI wingmen simply fail to take off from carrier - they just fall into water. And you're left alone to complete the task.

Hoping, this will be fixed in future. Some existing workaround for now is to reduce AI's amount of fuel: for AI at takeoff position #2 - to 20% (otherwise he failt to take off), and for AI at position #3 - to 60%.

AI doesnt use the PFM

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

AI doesnt use the PFM

This is why I want to be sure that other issues aren't at play before I go and change 40+ missions.

1. Seems to me that any AI aircraft taking off from pos 1 and 2 don't seem to leave the ramp at any different speed other than approx (132kph) whether the carrier speed is at 0km or 59kph, so that doesn't make sense to me, not changing plane thrust and wind settings and carrier stationary, then 132kph is generated by plane alone, if you you change the speed of carrier to 59kph, then plane will be traveling at same 59kph just sitting on the deck, when it rolls it should be able to generate an extra 132kph, giving at total of 191kph, or does the virtual wind created negate the 59kph of carrier ??
  2. If you set the head wind speed to 50m/s (insane I know), but AI plane stays stuck to the carrier's sky ramp forward edge, shouldn't it at least be blown backwards or flip the plane.
  3. I did find a real life reference that indeed the Su-33 couldn't take off from the Kuznetsov carrier with a full fuel load and / or weapons payloads, findings below.

Weights and Loadings of Su-33:

-----------------------------------

Max military load 7,045 kg (15,532 lb)

Normal T-O weight 25,000 kg (55,115 lb)

Max carrier T-O weight 30,000 kg (66,135 lb)

Max T-O weight 33,000 kg (72,752 lb)

Max landing weight 24,500 kg (54,013 lb)

Max wing loading 486.4 kg/m2 (99.63 lb/sq ft)

Max power loading 131 kg/kN (1.29 lb/lb st)

(source: Jane's All the World's Aircraft 2001-2002)

In real terms, the SU-33 cannot take off from the Kuznetsov with a full load of fuel. So its maximum takeoff weight is somewhere below its "weight empty with full internal fuel" when operating from a ski jump.

Just trying to get the facts and figures to justify a change.

Regards, Ian.

DCS Tech Support.

I did find a real life reference that indeed the Su-33 couldn't take off from the Kuznetsov carrier with a full fuel load and / or weapons payloads, findings below.

Btw, is this because in real life Kuznetsov could not gain its maximum speed due to some troubles with engines (as i've heard, it was the case in the beginning of 2017)?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]