Problem with throttle

Hey guys:

Just got my new, awesome Maingear rig. Upon transferring my HOTAS Warthog throttle to the new unit I get a message that the "last USB device connected is malfunctioning and not recognized by windows". The darn thing was working fine yesterday with older rig and all I did was unplug it and plug it back in. Could it possibly really be broken? Working fine for years.

Any ideas??

Frustrating!!!

Have you tried rebooting the pc yet?

Also unplug and plug back in again?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The TM WH throttle could of course have developed a problem just as you transferred it, but that sounds a bit unlikely. To me it sounds more like a USB connection issue. Are you sure you are using the same USB connections with your new rig, i-e- direct to the PC or via the same good-quality powered hub?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Rebooted several times.

Tried several USB ports.

Waiting for reply from TM support.

Meanwhile, under FAQ on TM website found a procedure for " waking up controllers that are not recognized due to loss of firmware" which involves updating drivers and connecting USB while simultaneously holding down two buttons on throttle base. Tried several times with no joy.

At least I know the problem isn't exclusively mine.

This sucks, big time! I finally have the rig of my dreams and I can't fly!!

Frustration grows!:mad:

Thanks for that link.

I am certainly not alone but regardless it's killing me not being able to use the new rig!

Waiting weeks for a reply and weeks more to repair or whatever is not an option.

Considering ordering a new throttle from Amazon...I did get a lot of years out of it and I'd have the new one in two days. $240.00 in the crapper.

Spent all day yesterday prepping, downloading, activating ( btw..I thought my modules should have "auto" activated) all my modules and now this.

SUCKS!!!

I feel your pain, I too had one brick on me. Think it happened after a move to another state.

I did not hesitate though and ordered another as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Does anyone actually unplug while starting and shutting down as discussed in the brick thread?

Seems like a huge pain in the ass.

Certainly not! But I make sure all peripherals including USB devices are powered down after my PC has shut down. The whole rig is powered from a UPS with multiple outlets, which also provides surge protection. After the PC has shut down, I switch off the UPS. If I don't do that, I find that some USB devices still have power although the PC has shut down.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I had my 5 year old TM throttle brick on me about 6 months ago. Tried all the TM's fixes no go, even hold the keys down etc., all this time the stick was plugged in and it must have received at least 5 re installs and the stick is fine. So I just ordered a new one worked right out of the box.

I suppose on could sell the bricked one for parts on e-bay, some else suggested that. I have not bothered yet.

I would double check that the Joystick connecter cable inside the handle is correctly connected, and that you haven't inadvertently bent a pin when you attached the handle. I discovered that problem after I had bought a new joystick to replace the original that I assumed was borked. At least I have a working spare now though.

Bricked throttle just from unplugging from one machine into another? Is the old machine still put together or is it in pieces now? considering you bought a "maingear" rig I assume that included a new case and everything.

Is it possible to see if the old machine still allows it to function?

I'm just hopeful it's something simple like "a usb hub was disabled in bios" or "I didn't install my usb 3 driver" or something like that.

It's actually not hard to take the two baseplates off the bottom and take a peak inside and see if there are any obvious loose connections.. check that any connectors are securely plugged into the circuit board..maybe look for a broken or loose wire. If you do find a loose connection that couldn't be fixed with a soldering iron or simply sicuring the connection to the circuit board.. take a picture of it and send it to TM.. they might have replacement parts. They might not.

They also have a toll free number you can call for an immediate response to your issue. Can be found on their website. I got a replacement female ps2/din ribbon for my stick and soldered it in myself.. was $9 plus shipping... but they ended up having to order the part from France so it took two weeks to get there.

Either way, if plugging it in to the old machine still shows no functionality, it's worth at least opening it up..it's only a few screws on the bottom, and it's easy to replace the baseplate.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

If you are re-installing Target firmware to bring back a bricked one, remember to wait long enough for it to install the firmware. It beeps letting you think it is done but you have to wait until the install bar in the windows taskbar finishes before you let go of those really hard to push buttons. It takes a while, press hard.

The way Thrustmaster's instructions worded that can lead one astray.

Tons of things to try before "opening 'er up"

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

My 5 year old one bricked. The pcb was $40 and took 2 months to come so I bought a new one. Pcb arrived and fixed the old one so could be worth trying especially if its in stock.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Hey guys:

Just got my new, awesome Maingear rig. Upon transferring my HOTAS Warthog throttle to the new unit I get a message that the "last USB device connected is malfunctioning and not recognized by windows". The darn thing was working fine yesterday with older rig and all I did was unplug it and plug it back in. Could it possibly really be broken? Working fine for years.

Any ideas??

Frustrating!!!

I got same message some time ago. For the life of me I cant remember the fix. It wasn't fatal though. Stay with it. I'll keep rackin my brain.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS