HOTAS question...

Sierra99

Sorry if this has been asked already but, Are the HOTAS controls "Hard Coded" into the Harrier?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Simplifies programming joysticks and allows for multiple functions on one switch. For example in the A-10C the DMS switch performs different functions depending on what is "SOI". If the HUD is SOI, moving the the DMS up or down changes the waypoint. If TGP is SOI, moving the DMW up or down zooms view in and out.

By contrast, the F-15 hud controls are not hard coded. For example I cannot cycle through my ACQ radar modes by pressing the same switch...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Sorry if this has been asked already but, Are the HOTAS controls "Hard Coded" into the Harrier?

Simplifies programming joysticks and allows for multiple functions on one switch. For example in the A-10C the DMS switch performs different functions depending on what is "SOI". If the HUD is SOI, moving the the DMS up or down changes the waypoint. If TGP is SOI, moving the DMW up or down zooms view in and out.

By contrast, the F-15 hud controls are not hard coded. For example I cannot cycle through my ACQ radar modes by pressing the same switch...

Thanks for clarifying. BTW, in software development "hard coding" something means that it is written in the code and cannot be changed by the user.

Having said that, you are asking if the DCS AV-8B NA HOTAS buttons have multiple functionality. The answer is yes. They do. Just like in the M-2000C.

For example in the M-2000C the NWS switch has two functions: With landing gear down, it enables/disables the nose wheel steering. With landing gear up, it starts an IFF interrogation.

Same with the AV-8B NA. These are the current HOTAS keybinds available:

-- Stick

• Trigger: Fire Gun/Launch Sidewinder, Sidearm
  • Bomb Pickle: Release Bombs/Launch Rockets or Mavericks/Release Illumination flares.
  • A/A Mode FWD: Sidewinder (Boresight)
  • A/A Mode AFT: Sidewinder (SEAM)
  • A/A Mode DOWN: Gun
  • Trim Pitch DOWN
  • Trim Pitch UP
  • Trim Bank LEFT
  • Trim Bank RIGHT
  • WP Increment/IR MAV Polarity Change (*)
  • Emergency SAAHS Disconnect
  • Sensor Select FWD: INS, IRMV/EOMV (*)
  • Sensor Select AFT: DMT: LST/TV
  • Sensor Select LEFT: MAP Center/Decenter
  • Sensor Select RIGHT: FLIR HUD: On WH/BH/Off
  • Sensor Select DOWN: HUD Rejects/TGP (*)
  • AG Target Undesignate /NWS / FOV Toggle (*)

-- Throttle

• ECM Dispense AFT: Chaff
  • ECM Dispense FWD: Flares
  • ECM Dispense RIGHT: All
  • ECM Dispense LEFT: Mini Jammer
  • Cage/Uncage Toggle
  • Engine Air Start
  • Emergency Flap Retraction
  • COMM FWD: Select COMM 1
  • COMM AFT: Select COMM 2
  • Airbrake TOGGLE
  • Airbrake ON
  • Airbrake OFF
  • TDC Up
  • TDC Down
  • TDC Left
  • TDC Right
  • AG Target Designate
  • TDC Action/No Action Toggle
  • Throttle Cutoff

(*) Functionality changes based on certain parameters like master modes and selected weapons.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Does the AV-8B not have multiple chaff and flare programs?

Yes, it has.

When you press the switch, chaff and flares will be released as per the selected program.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• 2 weeks later...
i think the awnser is yes but, will the thrusmaster MFD´s work also?

I think this will answer your question:

19224842_10154651231227644_3143051095774499925_n.jpg?oh=45599a6e8f5e13ea018514719afa928d&oe=5A042657

I have question regarding the nozzle lever: In the book owner's Workshop Manual Harrier it's mentioned that the nozzle lever has a fixed stop at 81 degrees and the lever needs to be lifted over said stop to access full 90° travel of the nozzles.

my question is now, how do you do that? by pressing a button to "lift" the lever or by using something like the idle detent on the Thrustmaster Warthog?

I have question regarding the nozzle lever: In the book owner's Workshop Manual Harrier it's mentioned that the nozzle lever has a fixed stop at 81 degrees and the lever needs to be lifted over said stop to access full 90° travel of the nozzles.

my question is now, how do you do that? by pressing a button to "lift" the lever or by using something like the idle detent on the Thrustmaster Warthog?

Most throttles to my understanding have this detent for afterburners for example...yet you see no module requiring any complex task by the player to access the AB, now do you?

It will probably be similar.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
Thanks for clarifying. BTW, in software development "hard coding" something means that it is written in the code and cannot be changed by the user.

Having said that, you are asking if the DCS AV-8B NA HOTAS buttons have multiple functionality. The answer is yes. They do. Just like in the M-2000C.

For example in the M-2000C the NWS switch has two functions: With landing gear down, it enables/disables the nose wheel steering. With landing gear up, it starts an IFF interrogation.

Same with the AV-8B NA. These are the current HOTAS keybinds available:

-- Stick

• Trigger: Fire Gun/Launch Sidewinder, Sidearm
  • Bomb Pickle: Release Bombs/Launch Rockets or Mavericks/Release Illumination flares.
  • A/A Mode FWD: Sidewinder (Boresight)
  • A/A Mode AFT: Sidewinder (SEAM)
  • A/A Mode DOWN: Gun
  • Trim Pitch DOWN
  • Trim Pitch UP
  • Trim Bank LEFT
  • Trim Bank RIGHT
  • WP Increment/IR MAV Polarity Change (*)
  • Emergency SAAHS Disconnect
  • Sensor Select FWD: INS, IRMV/EOMV (*)
  • Sensor Select AFT: DMT: LST/TV
  • Sensor Select LEFT: MAP Center/Decenter
  • Sensor Select RIGHT: FLIR HUD: On WH/BH/Off
  • Sensor Select DOWN: HUD Rejects/TGP (*)
  • AG Target Undesignate /NWS / FOV Toggle (*)

-- Throttle

• ECM Dispense AFT: Chaff
  • ECM Dispense FWD: Flares
  • ECM Dispense RIGHT: All
  • ECM Dispense LEFT: Mini Jammer
  • Cage/Uncage Toggle
  • Engine Air Start
  • Emergency Flap Retraction
  • COMM FWD: Select COMM 1
  • COMM AFT: Select COMM 2
  • Airbrake TOGGLE
  • Airbrake ON
  • Airbrake OFF
  • TDC Up
  • TDC Down
  • TDC Left
  • TDC Right
  • AG Target Designate
  • TDC Action/No Action Toggle
  • Throttle Cutoff

(*) Functionality changes based on certain parameters like master modes and selected weapons.

Judging by this, are we correct in assuming that the Harrier will support multiple switch directions in our HOTAS'? Meaning, you can bind a 2-way switch's ON and OFF positions for example (compared to the common way that only the ON position of any key is available to be bound)?

It would be a shame to be unable to utilize HOTAS to its maximum effect with a Module as complex as this one.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Judging by this, are we correct in assuming that the Harrier will support multiple switch directions in our HOTAS'? Meaning, you can bind a 2-way switch's ON and OFF positions for example (compared to the common way that only the ON position of any key is available to be bound)?

It would be a shame to be unable to utilize HOTAS to its maximum effect with a Module as complex as this one.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

I see what you're saying and I might be far of the mark here, but as I understood this was a function of the HOTAS software rather than the module? For example my Rhino stick software allows programming of multiple switch positions within DCS.

I see what you're saying and I might be far of the mark here, but as I understood this was a function of the HOTAS software rather than the module? For example my Rhino stick software allows programming of multiple switch positions within DCS.

I know. Thrustmaster's TARGET software allows for that as well. I've done a lot of scripting with it myself.

But you can enable all keys from any given joystick (and a bunch of keybinds that *should* have been in the original file) by modding the control .lua files. This proves that it is not out of the developers hands to provide for comprehensive keybinds and support for at least the most common HOTAS'.

If a game needs to be modded or used scripts on to be able to play it as it was designed, I'm afraid that to me would indicate lazy design on the developers part.

My gist on this is: too few products (even within DCS) support any HOTAS' to the level required to actually properly utilize the systems coded in the modules.

Now, with the A-10C, I'm not sure if the controls are coded such that key A -> ON provides a function, and key A -> OFF provides for another... or if releasing A from ON provides the second function... but I do know they have combination-keys with short and long presses. And if these are not coded in in advance, a player is unable to achieve such functionality with the DCS control setup screen. Instead you need to either mod the .lua or write a script.

By all accounts creating the .lua is not difficult if you know what you are doing (a squadmate of mine does custom control .luas), and the developers at RAZBAM certainly have the knowhow. So I feel this is something that could be adressed, making the Harrier on par with the A-10C, which works beautifully straight out of the box with Warthog HOTAS.

All this is especially prevalent, because updating DCS re-installs all the control .luas, meaning you need to manage them with JSGME/OVGME, or manually. Not a big issue, mind you, but one of those unnecessary hurdles in the way of properly enjoying the game.

With due respect.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

In DCS you can program a specific key in three ways:

DOWN: Action happens only once when the key is first pressed.

UP: Action happens only once when the key is released

PRESS: Action happens as long as the key is pressed.

You can combine DOWN and UP or PRESS and UP to obtain two different actions.

DOWN and PRESS are mutually exclusive.

With these three options the range of actions that can be coded is quite large.

In DCS you can program a specific key in three ways:

DOWN: Action happens only once when the key is first pressed.

UP: Action happens only once when the key is released

PRESS: Action happens as long as the key is pressed.

You can combine DOWN and UP or PRESS and UP to obtain two different actions.

DOWN and PRESS are mutually exclusive.

With these three options the range of actions that can be coded is quite large.

Interesting. I don't think I've seen it done in the game control menus myself. Is this possible with .lua only, or via the control setup screen?

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Interesting. I don't think I've seen it done in the game control menus myself. Is this possible with .lua only, or via the control setup screen?

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Actually if you open any default.lua keyboard or joystick configuration file for any aircraft, you will see these actions described there.

From the AV-8B NA keyboard default.lue

{pressed = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieUp,                up = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieOff,         name = _('TDC Forward'),                    category = _('HOTAS')},
   {pressed = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieDown,              up = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieOff,         name = _('TDC Aft'),                        category = _('HOTAS')},
   {pressed = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieLeft,              up = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieOff,         name = _('TDC Left'),                        category = _('HOTAS')},
   {pressed = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieRight,             up = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieOff,         name = _('TDC Right'),                        category = _('HOTAS')},
   {down = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_TDC_depress_on,                up = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_TDC_depress_off,    name = _('TDC Down (Action Position)'),        category = _('HOTAS')},

Actually if you open any default.lua keyboard or joystick configuration file for any aircraft, you will see these actions described there.

From the AV-8B NA keyboard default.lue

{pressed = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieUp,                up = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieOff,         name = _('TDC Forward'),                    category = _('HOTAS')},
   {pressed = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieDown,              up = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieOff,         name = _('TDC Aft'),                        category = _('HOTAS')},
   {pressed = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieLeft,              up = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieOff,         name = _('TDC Left'),                        category = _('HOTAS')},
   {pressed = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieRight,             up = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_CoolieOff,         name = _('TDC Right'),                        category = _('HOTAS')},
   {down = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_TDC_depress_on,                up = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_TDC_depress_off,    name = _('TDC Down (Action Position)'),        category = _('HOTAS')},

Handy! It's just a shame that DCS reloads the default .luas on every update. Makes having custom .luas that much more cumbersome. I wish these functions were editable in-game.

Thanks for the input Zeus!

• 3 weeks later...
Will the Warthog HOTAS be preconfigured like in the A10C ??

No. At least not for initial early release.