F-16

SparxOne

And besides ED doesn't seem to be concerned about the other simulators out there.

And rightly too dont you think?

If DCS create a constantly evolving World for other sim companies to plug into its awesome, I think the fact they give it away is genius and bonkers!

I reaaaaaaaaaaaly think ED should go for what ever Russian fighter that they can get enough info for.

Not saying I like a Mig better than a 16 either I just think it would make the whole of DCS more interesting. If not a Russian fighter then I'd prefer an Apache but that's another story....

If they did do a 16 I think it would be best to do a D model and I'm curious what others think.

But what confuses me about this thread are those implying or outright saying that once you get a

f-16 you just need a dynamic campaign and you've got it all right there...

The hornet can do just about anything the 16 can do, and the things it can't it makes up for with carrier ops.

Some will say its because of how iconic the F-16 is, but what about the Tomcat?! Imagine THAT with a dynamic campaign if you want iconic! Having that in a sim with the hornet, harrier, and let's not forget the hog?!

I like just about any of the American made fighters out there but for me at least, the hornet should satisfy that itch for a modern multi role. (I've kinda always liked two engine fighters better maybe that's why). Once the hornet is released/completed, I'm just looking forward to things like missile guidance improvents, better ATC and things like that. Any new planes or news on new planes will just be bonus stuff for me. (Unles ED anounces an F-22 when I'm 60 or so lol)

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

I think it would be best to do a D model and I'm curious what others think.

Interesting, any specific reason why the D and what capabilities are we talking about? A Basic block 25 D, or a Block 52+ closely related to the I?

The hornet can do just about anything the 16 can do,

Speaking for my self, is not about what the aircraft can do, it is about that iconic aircraft each of us has. We all have that specific aircraft that for one reason or another we love. Some are the first aircraft you see, some are aircraft that you imagine flying as a kid. I had many as my favorite over the years, but the F-16 became my favorite after so many hours under one, cover in oil or grease, banging my head everywhere, hours upon hours under one trying to clean the grime away.

So that is why it does not matter what capabilities, what versions, what year the modeled, just that they model one so I can fly around.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Interesting, any specific reason why the D and what capabilities are we talking about? A Basic block 25 D, or a Block 52+ closely related to the I?

Speaking for my self, is not about what the aircraft can do, it is about that iconic aircraft each of us has.

-Just its being a two seat multi-role, that's all.

-Yeah I get it..... I guess I'm so hyped for the hornet that the 16 just isn't that important to me right now :D

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

Because the F-16 sucks and is boring.

LAWL...Sooooo many people afraid of the Viper.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Yup. Everyone knows that the F-18 is better. It's simple math; 18 is 2 better than 16. That's a 12% increase. Case closed.

Yeah...

But don't forget the F-18 is the byproduct of the loser of the LWF program...

The winner was the F-16...

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Yeah...

But don't forget the F-18 is the byproduct of the loser of the LWF program...

The winner was the F-16...

Lost the Airforce contract, Yes

Redeveloped for navy carriers landings, the navy wanted twin engine redundancy.

Plus all the other contracts, including Australia:)

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

1.15 Discussions of other game companies products are forbidden.

The F16 will be done eventually, other sims are dated, not saying there not good still, just looking a bit too dated for my liking.

I would like to see the F16 in DCS, hopefully one day.:)

Edited by BIGNEWY
deleted quoted other sim

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

But aside from the Fighting Falcon (not Viper) being iconic with lots of operators worldwide blah blah blah, what does it do that the Hornet doesn't?

In all seriousness no; in my head, many things. :D :smartass:

- Fly an entire missions on one engine

- Fly supersonic on one engine

- In-flight refuel from a boom.

- Land in a cross wind without correcting with rudder.

- Flaring on landing

- Find more overseas costumers

- Carry AN/AAQ-13/14, AN/ASQ-213A, AN/ALQ-184 etc.

- Many more aerial victories

- First US AIM-120 kill

- 9G turns

- Fly into thunderstorms

- Automatic terrain following

- Better accelerations

- Longer range

- Assigned to USAF Demonstrations team

- Assigned to USAF Aggressor Squadrons

- Unobstructed Forward view, No canopy bow in the way.

- Fly entire mission by just moving your wrist

- Using arm rest while flying

- Used by Both the USAF and USN.

- Carry AIM-120 on the wing tips

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2679813&postcount=33

Edited by mvsgas
  • Like 1

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Many good points there, however I have a few comments to a few of them (after all, nitpicking is one of my many hobbies):

- In-flight refuel from a boom.
* So you can't refuel from anything else than a KC-135 or KC-10. Not really an advantage seeing how many different probe-and-drouge tankers there are around the world compared to flying booms.

- Many more aerial victories
* It's true that aircraft performance may be relevant for this point, but deployment numbers are important. You'll find more Volvo drivers with speeding tickets than Lamborghini drivers with tickets.

- First US AIM-120 kill
* Unless this was due to a F-18 not being able to shoot down the same plane, this doesn't really count as an advantage for the F-16. Being at the right (or wrong) place at the right (or wrong) time isn't necessarily related to aircraft performance. After all, the F-16 was the first of the two to be shot down by SA-3 and SA-6 SAMs.

- Assigned to USAF Demonstrations team
* And the 18 is flown by a Navy/Marine team you may have heard of. The fact that different branches of the US military use the equipment they have available isn't really relevant when comparing the types.

- Assigned to USAF Aggressor Squadrons
* ...as simulated targets for all other aircraft :P

* The reason AIM-120s are commonly carried on the wingtips is to improve certain parts of the aircraft aerodynamics. Typically flutter/vibration reduction under certain flight phases.

But aside from the Fighting Falcon (not Viper) being iconic with lots of operators worldwide blah blah blah, what does it do that the Hornet doesn't?

Viper is the Pilots nickname, instead of saying "Fighting Falcon" we like to cut names down here too.:)

So saying Viper is not exactly incorrect, it's not politically correct and you cannot talk about political things here anyway, so there's that, and we are meant to be pilots here.

"We all voted, and Viper came in really high. Seems there was a series on TV that had 'colonial Vipers' flying off of Battlestar Galactica"

"perceived resemblance to a viper snake"

http://www.f-16.net/articles_article10.html

It looks like we'll be getting both a full-fidelity F-16 and MiG-29 soon :

unknown.png

unknown.png

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

You think too much:P

and you have way too much time on your hands.

Roswell was a cover up;)

Contrails are really chemtrails by the government, true story.....

• Like 1

No. This is not one of Wags' "what's that [xxxxxx] doing there" teasers. From GA (who made the video intro):

My "idea" for that intro was sort of a throwback to the old "Jane's Combat Simulations" intro.. Obviously not quite at that level, but I thought it would be fun with some jets in there.. tongue.gif

Pulls 9g. Hornet is limited to 7,5. Slightly better thrust to weight too, I think, but that may depend on which variant you compare. Same with the avionics, modern F-16s are very capable, older not so much.

In general F-16 turns better and is better in a dogfight, except for slow flight when Hornet's ability to fly high AoA gives it an edge.

Here's a good comparison by a pilot who flew both.

https://fightersweep.com/1494/hornet-vs-viper-part-one/

https://fightersweep.com/1539/hornet-vs-viper-part-two/

https://fightersweep.com/1904/hornet-vs-viper-part-three/

https://fightersweep.com/2378/hornet-vs-viper-part-four/

Edited by some1
  • Like 3

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The thing is... can you land the Viper on the carrier? nuff said! :D

(joking)

Seriously though, I like the Viper, it's a good aircraft, but we are getting a very capable Hornet, in fact, it's one of the latest C Hornets, getting bunch of weapons and stuff, a complete package. I'd choose something else instead of a F-16, but that's me of course.

- Unobstructed Forward view, No canopy bow in the way.

Exactly! Imagine how good that will look in VR :thumbup:

The Hornet can do that as well.

Edited by Elysian Angel
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Pulls 9g. Hornet is limited to 7,5. Slightly better thrust to weight too, I think, but that may depend on which variant you compare. Same with the avionics, modern F-16s are very capable, older not so much.

In general F-16 turns better and is better in a dogfight, except for slow flight when Hornet's ability to fly high AoA gives it an edge.

Here's a good comparison by a pilot who flew both.

https://fightersweep.com/1494/hornet-vs-viper-part-one/

https://fightersweep.com/1539/hornet-vs-viper-part-two/

https://fightersweep.com/1904/hornet-vs-viper-part-three/

https://fightersweep.com/2378/hornet-vs-viper-part-four/

Great articles. Thanks :thumbup:

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |