RAFALE vs TYPHOON

yamine

That study is not credible in my view because the capabilities of each planes are judged against a ficticios oposition with arbitrated capabilities.

But if I had to vote I would chose the Eurofighter, yes. The french were to be in that program but they wanted a smaller and lighter plane. The rafale is a very capable plane but its a smaller brother of the Typhoon.

Right now the AESA on the rafale and the mechanical Captor on the EF2000 means nothing when the french plane will be stuck with the shorter range MICA for a few more years, by wich time the radar disavantage gap on the radar front is to be closed.

Having said that, the planes are still too similar for a clear winner in AA combat, the best pilot will easely make the biggest difference.

Good Answer. Its the pilot capabilities, no doubt.

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few". - Sir Winston Churchill 1940.

Yes! A study from the Eurofighter group which says "our plane is better". What would say a study from Dassault? It's amazing they do not say : "Our rival is better." I really wonder why, but maybee it's because I'm stupid.

Stop with all these stupid topics. Performances of both planes are secret, their system are classified and will evolve. There is a big gap between a Rafale F1 and a Rafale F3.

Nobody here have the knowledge to say which one is better between Typhoon and Rafale. Nobody! That's just bullshit.:megalol:

To compare a/c v a/c on paper I guess would be a pretty simple task just using the knowledge of certain elements ie. Radar Range, weapon used, Radar Signature size, Time to gain Altitude(Thrust), ECM suite employed, print screen speed and in my Totally biased opinion Typhoon is better in all these departments.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I have only one thing to say: LOL Paulie :lol:

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

The Rafale easily:

Spectra: a world first integrated self-protection system that has no analogue in the world.

DDM: Infrared Missile Detector is a totally passive offering early detection, accurate angular resolution and easy integration with no RF compatibility problem.

DDM NG: New generation missile warning system for Rafale even better.

I didnt know it was possible to detect an IR Missile. How would that work?

I didnt know it was possible to detect an IR Missile. How would that work?

IR [missile detector]......not [iR missile] detector ;) .

an IR device that detects heat emmission of missile launch - so it would work against any type of missile....including an IR-homing one :) .

Edit: rats!....D-Scythe beat me to it.

- JJ.

JJ

But is really practical?

Don't know :) .

But I guess it would be limited to missiles launched from relatively close range - such as a short range "dogfigthing" AA missile or ground based MANPADS....which in turn, for the most part, would involve IR-homing weapons BTW :) .

- JJ.

JJ

Basically you have IR sensors built into the airplane (like RWR antennaes) that are triggered whenever it detects a heat signature that the computers deem likely to be a missile.

There are more also systems that use this to wake up and aim an IR jammer (as we see fitted to the tail of the Su25T), directly at the seeker head of the incoming missile.

Apparently lasers - to burn out the seeker head - are an optional extra. No word on the 20" chrome wheels or neon underlighting, though.

To date I'm only aware of them being fitted to helicopters and heavy transports. Suspect it's only a matter of time before we see them on fighters.

There are more also systems that use this to wake up and aim an IR jammer (as we see fitted to the tail of the Su25T), directly at the seeker head of the incoming missile.

The 25's jammer is a flash lamp with a specific pulse interval, and is meant to specifically confuse reticle seekers, since their signals are received in pulses.

It has nothing to do with aiming anything at anything else ;)

As such, it is also ineffective against FPA IIR seekers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Don't know :) .

But I guess it would be limited to missiles launched from relatively close range - such as a short range "dogfigthing" AA missile or ground based MANPADS....which in turn, for the most part, would involve IR-homing weapons BTW :) .

- JJ.

Hmm, I figure it can probably detect long-range missiles who's rocket motors have already burned out. Obviously, the missile body itself can be detected due to air friction, and by observing the position of the missile relative to the aircraft (e.g. incoming PN missiles look like a fixed dot from your canopy), the computers can deem it to be an incoming missile.

False alarms will probably sky rocket though.

sigzk5.jpg

The 25's jammer is a flash lamp with a specific pulse interval, and is meant to specifically confuse reticle seekers, since their signals are received in pulses.

It has nothing to do with aiming anything at anything else ;)

As such, it is also ineffective against FPA IIR seekers.

I didn't know that about the Su25T's jammer . . . but you may misunderstand.

Whereas the Su25T's jammer is fixed, the jammers/lasers forming part of the Nemesis system or similar are mounted in turrets and can be aimed towards the threat.

Yep, I know. That's the 'new generation'. I'm not sure if I'd call'em jammers any more either though ... :P

It's more like IR zorching instead of jamming.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Hmm, I figure it can probably detect long-range missiles who's rocket motors have already burned out. Obviously, the missile body itself can be detected due to air friction, and by observing the position of the missile relative to the aircraft (e.g. incoming PN missiles look like a fixed dot from your canopy), the computers can deem it to be an incoming missile.

I seriously doubt it D-Scythe - I really don't believe that air friction from a very small and supersmooth missile body or even its control surfaces can be detected.....and certainly not at a range where it would make a difference :) .

- JJ.

JJ

Thats why i am asking if it was practical. Separating real threads of the false ones should be a real pain for the system.

Depends - imagine flying low over the battlefield on a ground attack mission and being fired upon from close range by a Stinger or the like....the heat signature of the missile's rocket engine igniting and powering towards your aircraft would be quite significant.

Edit: you guys are fast on the keyboard :D

- JJ.

JJ

To compare a/c v a/c on paper I guess would be a pretty simple task just using the knowledge of certain elements ie. Radar Range, weapon used, Radar Signature size, Time to gain Altitude(Thrust), ECM suite employed, print screen speed and in my Totally biased opinion Typhoon is better in all these departments.

Whooooowwww!!! And your method is scientifically proven?:music_whistling:

I must admit you are really lucky to know the real capacities of each radar, the real radar signature of each plane, the real capacity of the Spectra system (and of the ECM suite of the Typhoon). No really you should hide yourself cause I'm afraid you could have problems with the DGSE and MI6. Think about it, be careful!

Depends - imagine flying low over the battlefield on a ground attack mission and being fired upon from close range by a Stinger or the like....the heat signature of the missile's rocket engine igniting and powering towards your aircraft would be quite significant.

- JJ.

That's why nowadays missile builders try to reduce the flash emited by the engine of the missile when it ignites.

Whooooowwww!!! And your method is scientifically proven?:music_whistling:

I must admit you are really lucky to know the real capacities of each radar, the real radar signature of each plane, the real capacity of the Spectra system (and of the ECM suite of the Typhoon). No really you should hide yourself cause I'm afraid you could have problems with the DGSE and MI6. Think about it, be careful!

At least my BS is more convincing than yours.:P

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org