DCS - VR VIVE - RAMBLE/THOUGHTS

SharkBaztard

1st: Is there a VR discussion on this forum anywhere?

2nd: Is there a spot that the devs would read about VR ideas or have posted?

3rd: Everything I am about to talk about is understanding that VR has a long way to go before its viable for AIR/AIR play.. so, let's leave that out.

VR(vive) is incredibly immersive and I have tweaked my settings to perform very well. I am mainly talking a10c flight w/ ground combat.

The best way to play VR in DCS is flying formation as it's as immersive as you can possibly get. The scale and 360 view is just simply amazing for close form!! DO IT

I have managed a way to perform air/ground combat pretty well too so I am very happy!

I notice they have "HANDS" in-game if you turn on the vive controllers but I am unable to use them, they are flipped and don't seem to work in anyway. This excites me though as to a few possibilities.

Gun games on VR have the HANDS.. and you can "attach" them to the gun with a simple press of a button.

What about attaching to the joystick in-game? Would be amazing!

What about attaching to the throttle? Amazing!

I notice a few folks say operating switches would be impossible.. this is very untrue. The tip of the finger can have a cross-hair and simpley work like the mouse. The sensor pad can rotate knobs. Games ALREADY have everything I mention(obviously not planes) but still!

Would be super neat as it would allow a VR user to fully use the in-game cock-pit !

Thoughts?

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=497

Controllers are "decorative" at this point..

most aircrafts have a pilot model you can turn on. that might give you the added immersion you seek.

whan people say "operate switches" the usually refer to real switches in home pits (which you can't see). no problem operation the pit itself.... for "hardcore mode" strap a trackball to you kneeboard,.

Ok, I understand about the home builds being a pain in VR.

Not too worried about the pilot model.

I just like the idea of having only the VR controllers and the headset on... with no need for anything else (besides maybe a couple keyboard commands for atc or something)

I just wonder if the devs have thought about the hands looking to the joystick and throttle like they are capable of in other VR games.

Thx for the link and info

The problem with using just the motion controllers to manipulate the aircraft controls is a lack of tactile feedback, telling you where your gimbal limits are and such. Even force sensing controls provide a kind of tactile feedback in that you can feel how hard you are pushing or pulling on it.

By comparison, using VR hand controls will provide no feedback at all about control position. A very simplified example of this in action is in the new Star Trek Bridge Crew VR game. Controls in the helm there are nowhere near as complex as here, and I still find it hard properly steering the ship with the hand controls on the in-game console. Trying to manipulate a HOTAS with them would be orders of magnitude worse!

This would require us to be able to position our HOTAS as accurately as possible for the virtual hands to be positioned correctly. This would also require our stick and throttle movement ranges to be accurate to the virtual counterpart. And thirdly we would need to be able to physically attach the controllers to the HOTAS or risk disconnecting the virtual hand and the virtual controller...

I can see this maybe happening in time with VR gloves, not with the current bulky controllers we have

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron