2.1.1 Hud Issue

haffende

With Deferred Shading on in 2.1.1 and Gamma slider at 1.0, the HUD glass is clear, on my monitor. The only problem is with a bright sky, in NTTR, the HUD symbology is hard to read, against the sky.

The A10 did have a night/day HUD function that helped with that module.

Is there a way I can alter the HUD colour in the Mirage? I appreciate the real jet doesn't seem to have a HUD colour feature, but it would be nice to make the symbology darker, or give it some contrast?

Similar results show in the Viggen, however that symbology is much easier to read due to the "poles" being mostly below the horizon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Not the white mask... The white mask is particular to Mirage due to small alpha value defined to the hud fov mask... However, this is very simple to fix in Lua files.

Is there a way to replace this white mask with a mask that would darken the HUD slightly?

The real world F18 has an ultra Violet filter which, by filtering out UV, appears to darken the HUD. This results in the HUD symbology being readable against a bright sky.

The more I see of Deferred Shading, the more I like it, however the HUD issue is spoiling it completely, IMO.

Cheers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Is there a way to replace this white mask with a mask that would darken the HUD slightly?

maybe by changing the light green (original) color to black...

The real world F18 has an ultra Violet filter which, by filtering out UV, appears to darken the HUD. This results in the HUD symbology being readable against a bright sky.

The more I see of Deferred Shading, the more I like it, however the HUD issue is spoiling it completely, IMO.

This will be corrected in future i think... the deferred shading engine is modifying many material behaviors, there is numerous bugs in all modules because of that,

maybe by changing the light green (original) color to black...

This will be corrected in future i think... the deferred shading engine is modifying many material behaviors, there is numerous bugs in all modules because of that,

I keep my fingers crossed for a fix. In the meantime, after fiddling all day with lua settings and getting nowhere fast, I made a discovery.:D

Turn up the cockpit flood lighting (white only) to maximum. Then pull down your helmet visor! This permits you to see the HUD symbology against a bright Nevada sky.

The other thing I noticed, was if you zoom in to the HUD, right up to maximum zoom, the HUD symbols become clear against the glare from the sky. Zoom back out and they stay visible for a short time before disappearing?

There must be a better solution, but in the meantime, the white cockpit flood lights permit the HUD symbols to be read.

At dusk/night, the HUD has that pale greenish mask that looks odd?

There is no key bind for white cockpit lighting, only red flood lights. Red has no effect upon the HUD.

Hope that helps, while we wait!:smilewink:

Regards

David

• 1 month later...

I think there is a fix to the green hud background during the night:

You need to edit the file HUD_base.lua. File is located in ..\M-2000C\Cockpit\VTH.

Change this line:

local mask_material_TFOV = MakeMaterial(nil,{204,255,204,5}) -- light green

To this line:

local mask_material_TFOV = MakeMaterial(nil,{0,0,0,5}) -- black

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Won't editing the .lua files trigger Integrity Check?

Agreed !

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Hi...are we any closer to getting a fix for this problem ?....if its easy to fix/bodge in the LUA then why have'nt Razbam sorted it out. Totally ruins the plane for me.....oh well back to P3Dv4.

I agree totally!

I think there are still Gamma problems with 2.1.1, especially with Deferred Shading on.

Recent videos of the F18 however, depict a HUD that looks remarkably like the real world one, i.e. it's got a blue cast, which is the UV filter in real life! The HUD appears readable in the videos, but again is that with Deferred Shading on or off?

All the HUDs require this treatment! A UV filter so we can see the HUD against the glare of the sky, otherwise what's the point of a HUD and Deferred Shading for that matter?

Cheers.

Feedback on latest 2.1.1 cockpit / HUD changes

DCS M-2000C by RAZBAM

Cockpit model updated

New interior lights scheme

HUD glass bug fix.

Hey,

Whilst the aforementioned updates are an immense improvement, we're not completely there yet:

NtfKnMq.jpg

l6MFIoJ.jpg

Will there be a "UV filter" modelled for the Mirage's HUD, or is this something that ED needs to fix?

Thanks !

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

UV filters do not block visible light, they block invisible ultraviolet light. Actually glass is in itself already filters most UV light. I guess that the treatment that you guys are referring to is an anti-reflective coating, which helps reducing reflections and glare, and thus improving light transmission and contrast. It normally gives the crystal some green, pinky or blueish hue, visible in the reflections (yes, there are still reflections). But that will not allow you to look into the Sun either. For that, normally pilots use glare shields, caps, sunglasses and helmets with tinted visors, depending on the aircraft.

About that white strip in the sky near the horizon, I consider it an ED's bug, because it does not exist in the real world, and that is what should be fixed. Maybe they try to emulate haze, but that would only be there with atmospheric stability when you are at low altitude and anyway it is nothing like that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Polarized Glass and UV Filter = Two Different things.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

... just to pitch in here... There is no such HUD that you can point it directly into the sun and expect to be able to read it well. Dark visors and or sunglasses help, but don't make the sun magically go away. All systems have some downsides and this is the HUD's.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Considering HUDs are just a Video Display Reflection to Glass Projection System..

You Drop a Light Source Like the Sun behind it, and the Sun will win the visibility battle, as the lumen/lux of the sun is greater than any backlit video projection unit, regardless of how much you coat the HUD Glass w/ filters.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs