An observation for the team that is still present after today's 2.1.1 update.

Tree shading and shadows are noticeable at 3 distinct ranges. Much more noticeable in Normandy for obvious reasons!

Far distance, everything looks good, shadows are cast well and the tree shading is now spot on.

Mid distance, there is a distinct transition separating far and mid distance that you can see move with you as you fly. In this mid distance the tree shading is good, but the tree shadows seem to shimmer quite badly.

Short distance, same again here where there is a distinct transition between mid and short distance. In this zone the tree lods seem to kick in and the trees pop. Shadows still behave the same way as the mid distance zone.

Tested with shadows between Flat and High and terrain shadows on Default.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Flat Terrain Shadows only does result in better shadows on the ground from the trees, although the shadows seem to grow and turn slightly as you approach them closer at around 300 meters.

The main issue I have with Flat Terrain shadows is that my Aircrafts shadow on the ground (over terrain objects like trees and buildings it's fine) flickers a lot and quite often only one half of the aircraft shadow is rendered sometimes to top, sometimes the front, etc...

KA-50%20Shadow_zpsa906dbk6.jpg

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
Spelling mistake

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]