Rudder trim isn't working

Hello there,

I encounter some trouble with the Viggen currently: rudder trim isn't working. (I tried with DCS 1.5 and DCS 2.1, nothing happen when I try to use it)

The yaw emmergency trim works but not the normal trim. It's a bit of a problem with a dispenser pod on a side and a jammer pod on the other with the lack of precision of the emmergency one and the drag it can generate.

I tried to remove/install the module again, but it didn't change anything.

Do not hesitate to tell me if you need some logfiles for troubleshootings or have any idea?

Have a good day.

Rolluptito :joystick:

Edited by -IRRE-Rolluptito

Owned modules: P-47 | P-51D | Spitfire MkIX | I-16 | Bf 109 K-4 | Fw190 D-9 | Fw190 A-8 | Yak-52 | MiG-15 | F-86F | C-101 | A-10C | AJS-37 | L-39 | F-5E | M-2000C | MiG-21bis | F-14 | AV-8B Harrier II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | Ka-50 | SA342 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2.

Maps: Syria, Nevada TTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, & The Channel.

Hardware: GeForce 1080TI, I7 7700K, 32GB RAM.

https://www.lesirreductibles.com -

Last test yesterday:

Update 2.1.1: none of the trims is working anymore. (Turning with trim buttons works with autopilot)

Update 1.5.6: rudder trim doesn't work.

Owned modules: P-47 | P-51D | Spitfire MkIX | I-16 | Bf 109 K-4 | Fw190 D-9 | Fw190 A-8 | Yak-52 | MiG-15 | F-86F | C-101 | A-10C | AJS-37 | L-39 | F-5E | M-2000C | MiG-21bis | F-14 | AV-8B Harrier II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | Ka-50 | SA342 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2.

Thanks for the report! I'll look into it. Note that using the emergency trim disables the normal trim. It might be that the disabling is triggered even though the emergency trim hasn't been used.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

You're welcome. Thanks RagnarDa.

Hi all,

ive bought the viggen Yesterday because i really like this plane.

But i have a serious bug.

After i start the Engine, my rudder/yaw is turing to right side maybe 15-20 degree. I cant fix this problem with any trim and its really hard to flight with that error.

The Plane is very instable during flight. Every move on my Stik is really crazy.

Is this the same bug mentioned at this tread or have i another bug/confg?

Regards

Dominik

Some other suggestions?

If it helps, i can upload my DCS Config Profile for the Viggen or attach some Screens of my Config and the faulty rudder.

I recently noticed something during my tests.

If i disable SPAK the Plane is much easyser to fly.

2nd. If i start with SPAK enabled the Plane will turn to the right side after take off.

Then i disabled the SPAK system and the Plane starts to turn to the left side.

But i cant trim against that rudder.

Maybe its an SPAK error?

During startup i also checked the Trims on the Rudder and all looks fine.

Edited by Sartarius

I've recordet a Video for you guys. Hope that helps solving my Problem:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-oUN0teSLSGal9IVmRTNDh6Skk

Timeline:

0:00 - 0:40 my Control Settings

1:05 - 3:30 Startup Procedure

3:35 - 5:00 Taxi to Runway

5:15 - 5:30 Start on Runway as you see here it starts to drift to the right side.

6:15 - 6:25 You can see the Rudder and its a little to the Right side. I Try to trim but nothing happens...

6:30 Full Autopilot and Trim is fine

6:40 I go back to SPAK and rudder is again to the right side

6:50 Disabled SPAK and now the rudder is fine and i Can now trim the Plane.

7:15 SPAK on again. Trim is gone and rudder back to the right side.

• 6 months later...

The yaw trim (labeled "autopilot trim" on the ingame tooltipps) is still not working. There is also no explanation on its function in the manual.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I was having a problem with the Viggen rolling to the right constantly making it pretty much unbearable to fly like that. Kept trying to trim and nothing seemed to help. Thought it was my CH Rudder pedals maybe. Finally decided to swap my other Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for the Pitch and Roll, etc. (Main Flight Stick) and boom, fixed the issue. Time to stop buying these cheap $35 joysticks that last a year if you're lucky before they have problems with the buttons, etc. Just goes to show you can drive yourself nuts trying to figure out the problem and it can just be the joystick itself.

Yaw ≠ Roll

This topic is about the rudder (yaw) trim. Roll trim is working fine.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Truthfully and IIRC, I am not entirely sure there is a rudder trim in the Viggen except for the emergency one. Also, not sure what the “RENFLYGN” rotary actually does since the RL-manual is very light on information about that.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

Truthfully and IIRC, I am not entirely sure there is a rudder trim in the Viggen except for the emergency one. Also, not sure what the “RENFLYGN” rotary actually does since the RL-manual is very light on information about that.

There is rudder trim. You can see it in schamatics; as well it is explained in section 3 in manual. The RENFLYGN, by reading the manual, functions as gain potentiometer for the accelerometer which detects yaw in ATT and HOJD autopilot modes so you can fine tune it if there is drift present.

At least that is how I understand the text.

There is rudder trim. You can see it in schamatics; as well it is explained in section 3 in manual. The RENFLYGN, by reading the manual, functions as gain potentiometer for the accelerometer which detects yaw in ATT and HOJD autopilot modes so you can fine tune it if there is drift present.

At least that is how I understand the text.

And that's exactly the problem I have, when flying with asymmetrical loadouts (e.g. dispenser pod on one wing and jamming pod on the other wing). Flying manually I can compensate with the rudder, but when I engage the autopilot it just keeps drifting to one side.

I would reckon the autopilot trim knob is used to compensate this?

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah bare in mind that it was a couple of years ago I researched and coded this so my memory is probably at fault and I’m at work and can’t check the documentation but I thiiiink I wasn’t able to find the actual trim-control in the cockpit and by that assumed it wasn’t usable by the pilot. Probably wrong though so please correct me. The RENFLYGN control being a gain-control actually makes sense, thanks for that!

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

Rudder trim works properly for me now on 1.5.8, but not on 2.1.0.

If you have it mapped on your joystick and it doesn't work, try to map it on your keyboard instead. I remember that at the time I did create this topic I had it work with keyboard shortcuts. Impossible to have it working on joystick mapping though.

With the Viggen, the autopilot seems to only take care off roll & pitch, that may be with it's not correcting your yaw with unbalanced load. I'm not sure. But for the autopilot trim knob, I think it's not working yet?

With the Viggen, the autopilot seems to only take care off roll & pitch, that may be with it's not correcting your yaw with unbalanced load. I'm not sure. But for the autopilot trim knob, I think it's not working yet?

Yes, the knob is not working. I tested it a couple of days ago (1.5.8), when I was flying with an asymmetric loadout and the autopilot was drifting away when engaged. I thought this can be corrected through the autopilot yaw trim knob, but it made no difference.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah bare in mind that it was a couple of years ago I researched and coded this so my memory is probably at fault and I’m at work and can’t check the documentation but I thiiiink I wasn’t able to find the actual trim-control in the cockpit and by that assumed it wasn’t usable by the pilot. Probably wrong though so please correct me.

The rudder trim is only available on the left side console, yes. It works in DCS, only missing is the indicator for neutral position. The 3d model of light is there, but it is not functional.

Manual says that, as is in DCS, rudder pedals stay as they are (no tactile feedback of setting) while the control surface moves.

The RENFLYGN control being a gain-control actually makes sense, thanks for that!

I am glad if I was able to help. :)

Hi,

For me the autopilot yaw trim (renflygning) is working in 1.5.8 and in 2.2.0.

I works with keyboard, joystick mapping and click-drag in cockpit(lift cover first).

And it compensates for drifting with asymmetric load.

Scratching my head why it works for me but not for some of you??

But what I noticed now when testing this is that emergency trim up don't work for me.

Neither by keyboard or clicking in cockpit or if mapped to joystick.

And it also seems to make the regular nosetrim to stop working.

Because if I use emergency trim nose down its impossible to compensate it back to normal.

Best regards,

M

If I remember well, if you use the emmergency trim systems, you can't use your normal trims anymore. That's supposed to be the good behavior.

I rembember too that it was the same problem some month ago, rudder trims were working for some of us, and not for the other. For me it wasn't working with joystick mapping, but OK with keyboard mapping.

As soon as 2.5 is deployed, I will do a full "bugs list" again for the Viggen, if it helps the devs -and as I know that they reading almost every threads here- for final debbuging. :)

If I remember well, if you use the emmergency trim systems, you can't use your normal trims anymore. That's supposed to be the good behavior.

That sounds like it can make sense :thumbup:

For me it isn't any real problem any way.

Just something I noticed when testing the yaw thing :)

Best regards,

M

Hi,

For me it wasn't working with joystick mapping, but OK with keyboard mapping.

Almost the same, working with keyboard mapping RCTL+Z and RCTL+X but only one side when mapping on my Warthog !

Not super easy flying VR :doh:

Good flights

Intel i9 9900K + 32GB DDR4 + RTX 2080ti

Reverb2 & Rift S + Warthog + Saitek Pro pedal

Hi,

For me the autopilot yaw trim (renflygning) is working in 1.5.8 and in 2.2.0.

I works with keyboard, joystick mapping and click-drag in cockpit(lift cover first).

And it compensates for drifting with asymmetric load.

Scratching my head why it works for me but not for some of you??

Well, that's weird indeed. I was using the trim knob in the cockpit, after lifting the cover. It had no effect.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well, that's weird indeed. I was using the trim knob in the cockpit, after lifting the cover. It had no effect.

The effect isn't big, but it is there and i can even use it to "fine tune" steering if I'm a little bit off from the course.

Also it is possible to turn the knob even past the end, so to speak.

And I think that the effect is bigger then, not sure though.

And then it takes the same amount of turning the other way to get the knob to turn back.

So it is a little buggy :)

Best regards,

M