Forrestal Development Update: Deck Crew WiP!

Cobra847

you never see a video of a plane landing or taking off from a stopped carrier.

Not exactly stopped, as it looks like Conny was just making steerage, but close. Judging by the steam from the cats, they were launching with a slight tailwind. S-3's have taken off with the ship at anchor before... I cannot seem to find the video of that though although I know one exists.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Not exactly stopped, as it looks like Conny was just making steerage, but close. Judging by the steam from the cats, they were launching with a slight tailwind. S-3's have taken off with the ship at anchor before... I cannot seem to find the video of that though although I know one exists.

hadnt seen those before but I did see it in person!

from watching the video, you can hear theres a fair biit of wind going on. I grew up near there and it gets gusty especially under the bridge and the planes aren't going to be nearly as heavily loaded for a fleet week demo so the tailwind woulnt bother them too much. though leaving the bay that s3 was most likely out on ASW patrol so probably had a proper payload maybe lighter fuel

Edited by tekrc

ok but the S-3 has a max takeoff weight of 52,539lbs. and the 14 at max is 74,350. I said before. lighter aircraft are less effected by this. though more wod is preferred it isn't required. the aunch/arresting systems just have to work a lot harder in low/no wind operations. and in the case of the heavier planes like the 14 there is a lot more risk in damaging both the plane and the system

and from watching the video, you can hear theres a good biit of wind going on. I grew up near there and it gets gusty under the bridge and the planes aren't going to be heavily loaded for a fleet week demo. so again the lighter aircraft dont have as much of an issue and arnt what im talking about with the issue.

I was referring to high weight aircraft (or any really) put the most strain on the system when the carrier has low wod meaning the risk of wire breaks or hook separations are higher in these conditions especially when an aircraft is heavy like the 14

I've spent a lot of time working on the flight deck of multiple aircraft carriers so trust me when I tell you there is a slight tailwind on those shots. Look at the steam from the catapult... it's going the wrong direction.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I've spent a lot of time working on the flight deck of multiple aircraft carriers so trust me when I tell you there is a slight tailwind on those shots. Look at the steam from the catapult... it's going the wrong direction.

im not saying there wasnt a tailwind im not arguing that anywhere. but you dont get a whole lot of options coming out of the sf bay. unless you expect them to reverse out so the wind is facing the front lol

The difference between me and you is that I don't prejudge based on false expectations, which themselves are based on a faulty premise.

I myself have a mid range rig, hardly top of the line, but I've managed to run all the modules to my satisfaction, including on the latest 2.1 version of DCS World and Normandy. When I see people complaining that they only get 110 FPS in the Viggen on their 1080Ti or whatever all I can do is laugh and roll my eyes, because thats all that those comments deserve.

Only 110 frames on the BEST looking module currently in DCS?! How horrible! :doh:

Sigh. 110 frames on an empty mission with one aircraft, with nothing around but runway and sea, in a clear weather, sitting straight and not moving. Make some actual mission where you need to shoot some stuff, and that cuts your FPS in half. Go VR and that cuts your FPS another half. Turn on the radar... you get the idea.

Cobra can be the best 3D artist in the world and know the inner workings of DCS. I'm not denying him the talent or knowledge. Just the opposite, I'm the first to admit that his models are the best looking aircraft we have currently in DCS. But they are also consistently near the bottom of performance compared to other modules:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=189375

So laugh all the way, but if I say that I get 50% more FPS in VR in an aircraft of similar complexity made by another 3rd party dev, then what?

attachment.php?attachmentid=164680&stc=1&d=1498075236

I'm not writing this here to complain about performance, or to haunt Cobra. As I said in the previous posts, I can expect fps drop if the quality demands it. I'm just unsure if such crazy detail of the deck crew is worth it. Optimization is not a silver bullet, there's no free lunch in 3D graphics. And now imagine running all those people on the small space of an aircraft carrier, plus 10-15 another aircraft in close proximity on the deck, plus your Tomcat that will have at least the same cockpit quality as the Viggen, multiplied by 2 because of the dual cockpit. It can even be in the middle of an ocean, I wonder what the FPS will be.

One thing for sure, pretty pictures get people excited, so as a marketing tool, they're 100% justified. :thumbup:

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

exactly

also like if a pilot ejects and walks around, no one else can see pilots moving.

Really? What is it then when we sometimes see pilots standing on the airfield after a crash? You can see which direction your squadmate is looking in real life when you look across at his in-game avatar. Sometimes I wish there was a button for 'Wave' so I can see 'Hey! I'm over here." :-)

==============================================================================================================================

56sqn US@R

Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16Gb RAM, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 2700 MHz

Really? What is it then when we sometimes see pilots standing on the airfield after a crash? You can see which direction your squadmate is looking in real life when you look across at his in-game avatar. Sometimes I wish there was a button for 'Wave' so I can see 'Hey! I'm over here." :-)

if theyre ejected (which is what I was explicitly talking about) you cant see them moving. models of ejected pilots are there but never see them move around. try with a friend, eject and see if they can see you moving or not when you walk around as ejected pilot. no head movement and no physical change of location either. ejected pilots just stay where they land for other clients. so if you eject on a bad landing for example and have your pilot walk clear of the runway, for everyone else the pilot wont move at all

Edited by tekrc

If there were a cure for cancer, I am convinced that some folks would argue that funds spent on that would have been better spent on curing the common cold instead! :megalol:

And some would argue that... "Life is a terrible disease, for the mortality rate is 100%"

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

• 3 months later...

Hi HEATBLUR, curious to know if the Forrestal class carrier is tracking or planned to be released with the F-14? Or after the F-14? Or before (being optimistic) :)

I understand the F-14 is a very complex undertaking (flight model, avionics/systems, RIO AI, weapons, damage etc), not to mention eye candy/details on the exterior model.

Is it fair to assume the carrier is mainly exterior model and texture work? The most complex systems being the catapult, arresting, and FLOLS? Or is that a naive assumption?

Looking forward to future updates on the carrier and hopefully seeing the F-14 on it soon!

[sIGPIC] "GOONIE" [/sIGPIC]

"GOONIE"

CSG-1 VFA-25

Wow can't wait to see the in game animation :D Thanks for your great work guys

Now if we could exit the aircraft and take a tour of the carrier would be even more awesome :)

Keep up the great work and hope to see more soon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BOOMerCH - virtual Swiss Air Force pilot and real Swiss Air Force soldier

• 3 weeks later...

Deck crew!!! I can't wait.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

• 1 month later...
Any update of the Forrestal carrier, Ground crew and carrier operations, the last news was four

month ago.

Yep, curious too. :music_whistling:

Wish from august 2016

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160308&highlight=ground+crew

:D

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly: