DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

19 hours ago, unknown said:

Or you just didn't read your own quote 🙄:

Or I did, and assumed SA-5 to be important enough to be mentioned there.

• Like 1

DCS Wishlist: Stinger fix (frustrating bug since 1+ year already...), TOR SAM selfdestruct-logic (revert to previous far more realistic behaviour. Since 6+ months already)

canopy 6DOF tracking-limit (deny head-through-canopy), 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM

basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a DCS pilot claims about another famous DCS pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence - that would only be bullheadedly
Dell Visor WMR, Ryzen 5 3600 (6C/12T), RX 580 8GB  - "5 years clean, came back because hornet" - a long-time DCS player on Discord - "How is the payment?" - forum user question about Razbam Dev group membership xD
PvP: 125+ hours AV-8B VTOL (denying low-to-medium airspace since 2020), JF-17 AKG-A2A, F-16C, F-14 pilot - PvP campaigns since 2013

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also, a lot of people just find steam gauges, iron bombs, and getting up-close and NoE to hit your target more interesting than punching in coordinates and dropping murder bots from 30k ft, 20nm away

maybe because the SP crowd is a large majority?

what a shame, regarding this video the future will be 95% western hardware and gameplay. . .  no red forces, no cold war scenarios. never forget your roots. . .

5 minutes ago, jwflowersii said:

Are the in game voice communications still being worked on, or has that been put on the backburner.  I know SRS does well with it, just curious.

Supposedly yes going by the newsletter. I hope it ends up being something like that other sim.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

2 hours ago, DanielNL said:

So you did read it and didn't put 1 and 1 together? ED's priorities are not the same as yours! (or mine) So what? 

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC

System: Win 10 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti XE ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - Oculus Rift S, using only the latest Open Beta DCS Settings

2 hours ago, unknown said:

So you did read it and didn't put 1 and 1 together? ED's priorities are not the same as yours! (or mine) So what? 

I think it's more that the SA-5 has been planned for ages, and gets teased over and over again but we never seem to hear anything about it - I understand Daniel's frustrations. 

Not to mention we still haven't seen an appropriate search RADAR for it, same with the SA-2 in fact, as well as a whole number of battery components.

• Like 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

Im really looking forward to the clouds, and the performance upgrades. I bought the 3090RTX specifically for DCS and VR and so far it has been well, rather underwhelming. I didn't expect miracles though, but I hope I can make good use of the card at some point in the future of DCS World. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, DanielNL said:

Sa-5 has in progress, with others AI units. That was show on 2021 and beyond video. In fact, the Sa-5 EDM 3D models has into DCS directories and only missing implementation and funtionality. Has the same situations with other AI units and objects.

• Like 2

More news to the front

Wishlist: ED / 3rd Party Campaings

My Rig: Intel I-5 750 2.67Ghz / Packard Bell FMP55 / 16 GB DDR3 RAM / GTX-1080 8 GB RAM / HD 1Tb/2Tb / Warthog / 2 MDF / TFPR

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893

DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4076891#post4076891

21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/

Silver_Dragon Youtube

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Lurker:

I hope that we can get some more detail on the core engine upgrades coming to DCS World, maybe some quotes or interviews with the programmers, because so far they've been really vague about what we can expect and I don't want to get my hopes up needlessly. 

The interviews are a very good idea. I hope the programmers have the heart to do this. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, buur said:

The interviews are a very good idea. I hope the programmers have the heart to do 

Coders are good at coding. Not great at talking.

• Like 2
Intel Core i7-10700K - ROG Strix Z490-H Gaming - 64GB Vengance LPX - RTX 3080 Eagle OC - non-VR - single player - open beta

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Gierasimov:

But I'm so curious of the mechanisms behind. For example the weather, how do they solve this? With witch factors are they calculating?

Maybe the one or the other programmer can give himself a jerk and tell us some insights.
I think a lot of people are interested in the work behind the scene. 

3 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Eh, DCS is still pretty poor at utilising CPUs effectively AFAIK, but hopefully Vulkan might sort that at.

Vulkan might probably do nothing of the sort, it is a graphics API aiming to have a lower overhead. Depending on how the game handles draw calls and such today, we might not see many benefits from it. But they also clearly stated work towards more multithreading. The game is using the CPU just fine, it is however mostly using a single core. You want the workload, especially everything related to the simulation (AIs, weapons, scripts, weather system...) to run on different threads so that no single core gets to 100%, but this is very difficult to achieve.

Based on the kind of schedule we have in the newsletter, it seems this is correlated with the improved weather system (I don't mean the eye-candy, which is slated for 2.7 "somewhere in Q1", but the full-on dynamic weather system), and good too as this additional system could further hamper performance if run on the same single core as everything else.

AMD R5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3000MHz | RTX 2070 SUPER | HP Reverb G2 | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 | Thrustmaster TCWS

53 minutes ago, Qiou87 said:

Vulkan might probably do nothing of the sort, it is a graphics API aiming to have a lower overhead. Depending on how the game handles draw calls and such today, we might not see many benefits from it. But they also clearly stated work towards more multithreading. The game is using the CPU just fine, it is however mostly using a single core. You want the workload, especially everything related to the simulation (AIs, weapons, scripts, weather system...) to run on different threads so that no single core gets to 100%, but this is very difficult to achieve.

Based on the kind of schedule we have in the newsletter, it seems this is correlated with the improved weather system (I don't mean the eye-candy, which is slated for 2.7 "somewhere in Q1", but the full-on dynamic weather system), and good too as this additional system could further hamper performance if run on the same single core as everything else.

Except it's never that simple. Splitting different tasks on to different cores is not really that hard, what is hard is synchronizing the communication between those cores. So that you don't have scenarios where one core is waiting for a result that is calculated by another one and vice versa.

• Like 2

Well, that newsletter is very massive. So much to look forward to! But TBH I'll take all those date estimations with a good grain of salt. But it's great to see what we can expect in the next 2 years, which is a lot of things that we've always asked for twilighthappy.png

On 1/1/2021 at 4:35 PM, unknown said:

I just got the new DCS Newsletter E-Mail for today.

It had the word "subject" in the subject field and the word "message" in the text field.

Oh ED, go back to your xmas holidays, you're drunk! 😆🍻🤣

Reminds me of something...

Screenshot_20210113-044144_My Little Pony.jpg

rdlaugh.png

On 1/8/2021 at 4:08 PM, padonis said:

In connection with the information:
     “Note: Due to the new Russian Federation's information gathering regulations on Russian military equipment, we had to reconsider our plans to add new systems to the Ka-50. We are continuing with the cockpit update as well as the highly detailed updated exterior model. ", Included in Official News 2021

I just hope that doesn't include a ban on having Tetris hidden on the ABRIS system screen. That's what I'm waiting for the most awesome.png

On 1/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, Northstar98 said:

The more feasible solution is to do earlier BLUFOR aircraft that are comparable to REDFOR modules we can actually do.

Well, like the F-4E that was on BST's plate that's now "free for 3rd party" as per latest information? aj-hat.png

On 1/9/2021 at 1:46 PM, Rudel_chw said:

I belonged to a spanish squadron for almost a year, and found that, while better than an open server, they were a bit paranoid that I could "steal" their missions and secret documents .. it seems that within the squadron was a core of friends that knew themselves well, but treated the rest of us with distrust.

Welcome to mankind. rainbowdashwink.png

I for one always enjoyed flying in MP when I had a rig that would be able to cater that. That's not the case at the moment though...

BTW as for the dynamic campaign: As I understand, it also works in MP.

13 hours ago, conura said:

Actually, the best devs are incredibly good communicators. It's essential for working in a team - it's a common misconception that good programmers can't talk well. 

I run a team of software engineers, communication skills during the interview are essential.

I totally suck at talking and getting hired as a dev is something that seems to be impossible to achieve to me after having learned that for 3 years way in the past, well with some health problems added meanwhile. I always thought I could do that without having to be able to talk like a pro. Guess I was very much wrong, so yeah rdlaugh.png

• Like 1

dcs-dashie-ed.jpg.c4fa047dc1c71d5ceb1913aa54b2a11e.jpg

4 hours ago, Eldur said:

Well, like the F-4E that was on BST's plate that's now "free for 3rd party" as per latest information? aj-hat.png

Absolutely, though it's a shame it was dropped.

However, ED could even do stuff which would have very small workloads; such as the F-16CG Block 40 (pre CCIP)  - you could basically copy and paste nearly everything from our current module to it, with the main workload being LANTIRN, the wide-angle HUD (with identical symbology AFAIK), maybe a few other changes to the cockpit (no JHMCS controls or sensor, maybe some switches moved around, no D/L or MIDS controls).

But there are absolutely tonnes of modules that often get requested that would fit in.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 4:48 AM, Eldur said:

Well, that newsletter is very massive. So much to look forward to! But TBH I'll take all those date estimations with a good grain of salt. But it's great to see what we can expect in the next 2 years, which is a lot of things that we've always asked for twilighthappy.png

Reminds me of something...

Screenshot_20210113-044144_My Little Pony.jpg

rdlaugh.png

I just hope that doesn't include a ban on having Tetris hidden on the ABRIS system screen. That's what I'm waiting for the most awesome.png

Welcome to mankind. rainbowdashwink.png

I for one always enjoyed flying in MP when I had a rig that would be able to cater that. That's not the case at the moment though...

BTW as for the dynamic campaign: As I understand, it also works in MP.

I totally suck at talking and getting hired as a dev is something that seems to be impossible to achieve to me after having learned that for 3 years way in the past, well with some health problems added meanwhile. I always thought I could do that without having to be able to talk like a pro. Guess I was very much wrong, so yeah rdlaugh.png

It's certainly not necessary, but it helps a lot in later career advancement when you start speaking with stakeholders! Have you been trying to get a job and can't then? Happy to offer advice if you'd like, like I said, I'm very involved in hiring engineers 🙂

On 1/11/2021 at 11:34 AM, Rikus said:

27" 1080p monitor see contacts big, but 27" 4K or even 2K it´s almost impossible to spot a bandit in dogfight at 2-3 miles. Some cases the bandit literally dissappear and appears...

Very true... 

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - GTX 1070 SC - 55 inch 4k Display

DCS: AH-64 just got its own subforum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2021 at 2:16 PM, Gierasimov said:

Great programmers are great in talking too. As they need to add well express themselves to others to sell their ideas.

Example Carmack is one that anyone could just listen when he talks about his work.

https://youtu.be/sXmY26pOE-Y

But if they do not get to talk about it, but they get ambushed by interviewers etc, it can get ugly and quickly as they can get same situations as anyone.

I know only one who can really get out of those situations and he is even politician.

The ED programmers discussion could be interesting, about their solutions to problems etc. But it would require interview that is pointed on that.

On 1/12/2021 at 1:23 PM, Northstar98 said:

Eh, DCS is still pretty poor at utilising CPUs effectively AFAIK, but hopefully Vulkan might sort that at.

I am actually waiting more results from the RTS department for Combined Arms.

As DCS runs now basically as single thread. It is evidence by itself that it can run player aircraft/cockpit simulation on one core better than need.

Problems start when we need to put every other processing in that same core.

Ground units, other air units, weapons, ballistics etc all are there to take away from main processing. Now put those to own cores and things should get far better.

It is odd how little they have been talking about these changes in newsletter and what they are using for tests etc.

• Like 2

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:21 PM, Qiou87 said:

The game is using the CPU just fine, it is however mostly using a single core. You want the workload, especially everything related to the simulation (AIs, weapons, scripts, weather system...) to run on different threads so that no single core gets to 100%, but this is very difficult to achieve.

Actually that is very easy to achieve. It is not problematic at all to separate all heavy CPU using parts to own cores.

The problem is synchronization between them.

Like example, you can take a video player and start multiple instances playing 4K material and place each process to own cores, and it works great. You can do same by adding some music players.

But if you need to get those all synced so they play at the same time, it becomes more challenging.

So example we could have Blue ground forces on one core, Blue air forces on another. Red for third and fourth, player plane to fifth and all missiles and bullets to sixth.

Six cores doing great job as is. Easy to implement.

But how to sync when Blue fighter does shoot a red truck? Where did impacts go, was the unit actually there where fighter saw, or was it at some other location.

Splitting it and sync becomes like multiplayer games where all clients needs to be in understanding what happens. And in time critical situations like Client A shoots client B, it becomes challenging, especially if both have different network delay between server.

Difference really is that those others tasks would be possible be separated from one process and run them as standalone.

And as internal processing, sync differences would be minimal.

• Like 1

If you want to see the immediate benefits of running the game in multi cores, just run a headless DCS server on your own system, load up one of the heavier AI missions. Run DCS then connect to your own server in MP it should run a lot better. I do it all the time it makes a big difference.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

1 hour ago, LASooner said:

If you want to see the immediate benefits of running the game in multi cores, just run a headless DCS server on your own system, load up one of the heavier AI missions. Run DCS then connect to your own server in MP it should run a lot better. I do it all the time it makes a big difference.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Great idea, you get to use two cores instead one....

4 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

Really? Citing Carmack, a generational talent? There's also several language barriers here, as well.

I think he understands fluently multiple languages, so there likely isn't any barriers.

Be it a C, C++, C# or whatever, I believe he knows them all...

Regarding the new clouds, I wonder how older or existing missions will be affected by this change of weather system and the fact that you'll only have "presets" for the initial release? Really hope this doent break all the missions or campaigns.

• Like 1

hey, so the part "an array of antitank guided missiles" in here means that ED is promising us both Phalanga and Shturm missiles, right? 😈👌

grafik.png

Edited by DanielNL

DCS Wishlist: Stinger fix (frustrating bug since 1+ year already...), TOR SAM selfdestruct-logic (revert to previous far more realistic behaviour. Since 6+ months already)

canopy 6DOF tracking-limit (deny head-through-canopy), 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM

basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a DCS pilot claims about another famous DCS pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence - that would only be bullheadedly
Dell Visor WMR, Ryzen 5 3600 (6C/12T), RX 580 8GB  - "5 years clean, came back because hornet" - a long-time DCS player on Discord - "How is the payment?" - forum user question about Razbam Dev group membership xD
PvP: 125+ hours AV-8B VTOL (denying low-to-medium airspace since 2020), JF-17 AKG-A2A, F-16C, F-14 pilot - PvP campaigns since 2013