DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also, a lot of people just find steam gauges, iron bombs, and getting up-close and NoE to hit your target more interesting than punching in coordinates and dropping murder bots from 30k ft, 20nm away

maybe because the SP crowd is a large majority?

what a shame, regarding this video the future will be 95% western hardware and gameplay. . .  no red forces, no cold war scenarios. never forget your roots. . .

Just to be clear: No one said Vulkan in 2021, its still a long way off.

i also fear, it's a long way off, however back in summer 2018 wags suggested that vulkan release would be somewhat close ("Base programming and testing should be finished next month." 08-09-2018 ), so it's very understandable that people get a bit nervous by 2020...

• Like 1

My personal wishlist after 2 years with dcs: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=216873

Just to be clear: No one said Vulkan in 2021, its still a long way off.

I guess Simon Pearson would like to have a chat with you on that... it was him who said that the new engine, which is going to be utilizing Vulkan, multi threading and even RTX, is planned to be released into public testing somewhere in 2021. Of course that can be anywhere from 2022 - 2025 for the actual release into OB as there probably will be an OA for it first, but well. Let's just hope enough. DCS really does need that stuff, and Single Pass Stereo rendering badly.

As for the most recent NL (no, not you, 9L): Can't wait for the SA symbology on that JHMCS in the Hornet... will I finally be able to "see" other planes with that? Very exciting! Also looking forward to the AZ/EL and GRID things there. And that has to compete with the F-14A... comesoon.png

dcs-dashie-ed.jpg.c4fa047dc1c71d5ceb1913aa54b2a11e.jpg

I guess Simon Pearson would like to have a chat with you on that... it was him who said that the new engine, which is going to be utilizing Vulkan, multi threading and even RTX, is planned to be released into public testing somewhere in 2021. [...]

Wow! Do you have a link for that???

My personal wishlist after 2 years with dcs: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=216873

Wow! Do you have a link for that???

Thats not the link you ment but another interesting resource

A statement of Nick Grey on some things ED is working on.

here's the link to the Video where Nick Grey has commented:

And this is a part of his comment

Screenshot_20201030-234012_YouTube.thumb.jpg.4c38c06c38afbb84e5be44e409b47bd1.jpg

• Like 1

DCS-Tutorial-Collection

Specs:: ASrock Z370 extreme 4; Intel i5 8600K @3,6Ghz; 32GB DDR4 RAM; GTX 1080 @8GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals

It was in the Future of DCS interview that GR did.

No, GR did another Interview with Simon, the global Buiseness director of ED. But they did that because of the Comment from Nick Grey of Samurai 1-1's Video what I posted above.

The one from GR can be found here:

DCS-Tutorial-Collection

Specs:: ASrock Z370 extreme 4; Intel i5 8600K @3,6Ghz; 32GB DDR4 RAM; GTX 1080 @8GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals

• 2 weeks later...

So is the newsletter today the announcement/confirmation that we are getting the MIG 29?

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39 Albatros,Mirage2000C,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria.

No, but mayhaps the MiG we have will be improved significantly.. I would gladly eat crow on this however!

I read the MiG-29 newsletter thing as a shoulder-patting for the current MiG-29 FM. Much concern has been voiced about certain issues with the FM, but the bottom-line is the FM engineer(s) and some fan-boys say that's the way it is and that's the end of it, which let me lose interest in the announced full-fidelity MiG-29A.

• Like 1
which let me lose interest in the announced full-fidelity MiG-29A.

I think DCS would benefit greatly from modern(ish) full-fidelity RedFor. Whether or not I like the way that particular airframe flies, is besides the point - at least for me.

Several people here in the Russian section of the forum claim the current FM needs some work, based on their real-life experience. Let's hope this CFD project addresses those concerns :)

Edited by Elysian Angel
typo
  • Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600MHz CL16 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 960Pro NVMe 1TB | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | TM Warthog (with custom spring, 10 cm extension, custom TDC, replacement pinky switch) on Wheelstand Pro | TPR rudder pedals

My in-game DCS settings (PD 1.0 SteamSS 76%):

EduSYaK.png

I think DCS would benefit greatly from modern(ish) full-fidelity RedFor. Whether or not I like to way that particular airframe flies, is besides the point - at least for me.

You are probably right. No matter how wobbly the FM is, there will be people who are willing to fly it nevertheless. Some don't care, some don't know better.

Several people here in the Russian section of the forum claim the current FM needs some work, based on their real-life experience. Let's hope this CFD project addresses those concerns :)

Seeing how stubbornly the current FM is defended by people in charge of it with the exact same references to its characteristics in the newsletter as they are also mentioned in the real-life flight manual, but way too much exaggerated in the sim, I don't put my hopes too high. And then there's the blunt statement in the respective forum that you can't really control a MiG-29 with PC hardware because its FM is so realistic :disgust:

I don't understand how anyone can argue with the fact that the MiG-29's FM in DCS has some super obvious flaws, regardless of whether you know how the real thing flies or not. Or perhaps more specifically the way the FCS behaves, especially at near full deflections of the stick. Ask a simple question - if it flew in real life the way it does in DCS - would that be acceptable to any pilot? I'll be amazed if anyone says yes. The non-linear response of the FBW at times is quite ridiculous. I've binned the idea of doing any flying on it until something gets done about it. I mean obviously no FM in DCS is perfect, but some really convey a realistic feel 95% of the time. The 29 is a disaster in DCS as it stands. I sincerely hope the newsletter was showing how they are currently evaluating the flight model to improve it and not a pat on the back for doing a great job with the one we have currently - that would be one hell of a waste of a newsletter.

• Like 1

The only thing I will say about the MiG-29 is that on approach at roughly 300kph it feels incredibly sensitive, where even if the stick is barely being deflected, it responds as if it were much larger, necessitating quite excessive curves (which leads to it being overly sensitive in other areas), almost like there's some funny business going on with the ARU(?). It definitely doesn't seem like

where the pilot is making larger deflections on the stick, but not much movement (at least as far as I can tell) by the aircraft.

Compare it to

where very little movement is being made on the stick, but the aircraft is a lot more responsive.

The same can be said for the MiG-29s trim which also seems to cause large deflections with the smallest of presses.

I personally find precisely flying the MiG-21bis to be much easier, especially in level flight and on approach/landing.

EDIT: Meh it's actually not so bad once you relax a little, I guess me using the keyboard for throttle is probably a bigger part of the problem.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

(..) which let me lose interest in the announced full-fidelity MiG-29A.

I do admit I took so time off from the forums (did not like the new "hard to locate stuff" style) but, I am sure I would not miss such, for me, a big thing.

"Announced" (?) When? Where?

Intel Core i7-10700K - ROG Strix Z490-H Gaming - 64GB Vengance LPX - RTX 3080 Eagle OC - non-VR - single player - open beta

I do admit I took so time off from the forums (did not like the new "hard to locate stuff" style) but, I am sure I would not miss such, for me, a big thing.

I don't think it's been officially announced but various interviews with ED mentioned it was in the to do list depending on whether they can get access to enough detailed info about it. So I think it's more of a "highly likely" than "announced" module.

• Like 1

Yeah, maybe "announced" is not appropriate, but see for yourself:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/digital-combat-simulator/dcs-world-2-5/dcs-wishlist-aa/284905-dcs-mig-29a

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Cyprus is indeed there - as is the news that there is another major forum upgrade to change the underlying technology so forums will not be available on Monday and you may need to request a new password afterwards

Windows 10 Home ¦ Z370 AORUS Gaming K3 motherboard ¦ i5-8600K oc to 4.3GHz ¦ 48GB Corsair PC4 memory @ 3000MHz ¦ Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD for OS, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD for DCS ¦ ASUS ROG GTX 2060 Super 8GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk2 and MCG ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Oculus Rift S

The news sound great. Totally looking forward to that map expansion there.

@BIGNEWY As for the Syria map getting Cyprus added, have you gotten any response or news on the Lake of Galilei not being below MSL as IRL yet? It would be great if that could get fixed while the thing is being worked on, but the last time this topic came up we simply didn't know if it was due to an internal engine limitation or something else.

Also I think it's pretty news on the board software topic. I presume IPS is Invision Power Services, so technically the new software will be the same that the other (WWII) sim's company uses, which would be great. That one does have some minor quirks as well, but all in all I do like it a lot. I think it's great that you guys considered and decided to switch to another software completely.

BTW as for the BB Codes on that one, you can't enter those anymore, but do all the things that would be possible with them with the WYSIWYG editor. It has some nice features like automatically recognizing links for posting images or Tube embeds, so you don't even have to mess around with tags anymore at all. Just drop the thing and it will convert it accordingly, giving you the option to revert to a "plain text paste" anytime. ED just has to lift the limit of images per post (IIRC there was a default of like 5), so we aren't limited in smiley/emoticon usage by that. Well that's one of those config things that have to be done and probably won't take long.

• Like 1

dcs-dashie-ed.jpg.c4fa047dc1c71d5ceb1913aa54b2a11e.jpg

The news sound great. Totally looking forward to that map expansion there.

@BIGNEWY As for the Syria map getting Cyprus added, have you gotten any response or news on the Lake of Galilei not being below MSL as IRL yet? It would be great if that could get fixed while the thing is being worked on, but the last time this topic came up we simply didn't know if it was due to an internal engine limitation or something else.

As long as the sea is rendered below all the map, I don´t think it would be possible:(

On 11/27/2020 at 3:02 PM, Gierasimov said:

So, weekend news soon and it looks like Cyprus, doesn't it? Now I am excited.

what do you talking about?? 

I7 9700K@5.0 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra | RTX 2080 Ti | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5