2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

20 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

Why does ED even focus on "Dynamic Campaign", isn't that gonna be purely singleplayer (or only very few players) anyways? 

maybe because the SP crowd is a large majority?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

31 minutes ago, Mr_Burns said:

Never fly multi player, not since I owned Lock On, what, 20 years ago??

Not my thing, same as a gazillion other players.

Same. I've been playing flight sims since the early 80's and joined the ED journey the day Flanker came out, but I've got zero interest in MP. Been waiting for a Dynamic Campaign ever since the Falcon 4.0 days.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

All I see is more processing power, more processing power....

I know I'll only be flying in clear sky if volumetric cloud is as power hungry as MSFS 2020 clouds.

And synchronize them in MP and then AI to follow its visibility rules..... I'm actually scared.

2 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

I know I'll only be flying in clear sky if volumetric cloud is as power hungry as MSFS 2020 clouds.

And synchronize them in MP and then AI to follow its visibility rules..... I'm actually scared.

It's the usual story:

• Some people want constant, tangible visual improvements and eye-candy.
  • Some people want newer, better, higher fidelity core features.
  • Some people want a constant stream of new modules.
  • Some people want better performance.

Ultimately ED have to keep moving forward and balancing all four of the demands (and more that I've failed to identify and call out).

• Like 1

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

I like how it's looking. A lot. 🙂 It looks like Q1 and Q3 are going to bring some really good things to the world (besides COVID vaccines, of course 🙂 ). Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy them with a Reverb G2, which I'm planning to get myself soon-ish.

Shame about the Ka-50, but MiG-29 is probably still on the table, and there had been some recent comments about Su-27S not being as out of reach as we might have thought. Dunno if the interview in question postdated the new laws or not, but either way, the original generation of the Su-27 doesn't really have anything fancy like the new Black Shark was supposed to.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DanielNL said:

Why does ED even focus on "Dynamic Campaign", isn't that gonna be purely singleplayer (or only very few players) anyways? If so, then I'd gladly pass on that feature and instead prefer ED to either

A) finally host official realistic PvP servers (ft. CSAR mod etc.) or for ED to

B) make sure that at least one certain PvP multiplayer-server finally (after 1-2 years..) stops banning loyal players for childish reasons (heated but still friendly discussion as example) and unbans those again. At least that PvP MP server just has way too much power, due to the nature of flawed management-structure on that server (the historically to-mankind-known infamous "1-man-full-authority" structure...)

I guess option B) is the way less exhausting option for ED... (Sometimes it just takes a short communication between respected ED staff and a PvP MP server management to improve MP for everyone... 😉 )

please, everyone, make sure you support PvP multiplayer in the right way, please always play on servers with a power-divided management structure (=several rational people having to vote about server-related decisions), thank you!!

Not referring to RSR server here (in my signature), that server is really awesome!

Here we go again. Let the battle between SP and MP forces begin...

Here is my counter strike then: 

Stop MP development, focus on core game and stable SP experience first. Once the game is complete in this regard think about MP for "only few players".

Nah... forget it.

Excellent newsletter, looking forward to announced items of interest! Thank you ED!

• Like 3

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

All I can say is that if someone has never flown in MP, they have lost a lot. Nothing can replace fighting and working with a real person than with "AI". For many years I only flew "SP", I had to grow up to "MP" and gain faith in my skills. People are more unpredictable than "AI". I quickly noticed that I lacked skill when turning AI opponents into real people. And of course, new friends, after several years of flying together also in real life. But others prefer to lock themselves in their rooms and pretend that "AI" thinks like a real human, choosing to be alone in front of the screen. To sum up - I recommend the "MP" mode, there is nothing to be afraid of.
As soon as there are new clouds and everything related to them, it will be a real revolution in "MP". I fly both MP and SP, each mode has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Edited by padonis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, padonis said:

All I can say is that if someone has never flown in MP, they have lost a lot.

I played MP for a year and a half, but got tired of the obnoxious, immature  and rude people that one encounters on the MP scene ... finally realized that I enjoyed DCS more when playing alone.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 7

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

43 minutes ago, padonis said:

All I can say is that if someone has never flown in MP, they have lost a lot. Nothing can replace fighting and working with a real person than with "AI". For many years I only flew "SP", I had to grow up to "MP" and gain faith in my skills. People are more unpredictable than "AI". I quickly noticed that I lacked skill when turning AI opponents into real people. And of course, new friends, after several years of flying together also in real life. But others prefer to lock themselves in their rooms and pretend that "AI" thinks like a real human, choosing to be alone in front of the screen. To sum up - I recommend the "MP" mode, there is nothing to be afraid of.
As soon as there are new clouds and everything related to them, it will be a real revolution in "MP". I fly both MP and SP, each mode has its own advantages and disadvantages.

First, NO offence! I find this "i stepped up and now i play DCS MP" elitist attitude quite funny! Again, this is NOT directed directly at you! I don't know you, i have no problem with you, your post serves only as trigger for my post. 🍻

I'm playing DCS 99% in SP, i have summend up thousends of flight hours(in all my modules) over all these years. I'm not afraid of playing MP because i could do something wrong, who cares if i do something stupid. I just don't care about the public air quake servers, and i have no RL time to do regular/scheduled trainings, and for AG stuff i don't need people who think they are top gun RL pilots because they played a game over x years. Do i miss out on something? Maybe, but the only thing that comes to my mind right now would be F-14(Mi-24) multicrew. But on the other hand, nobody of my friends is interested in DCS that much that they would invest in the HW to play this Sim, so i keep playing SP.

Edited by unknown
  • Like 3

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

10 hours ago, DanielNL said:

Why does ED even focus on "Dynamic Campaign", isn't that gonna be purely singleplayer (or only very few players) anyways?

What makes you assume that?

And if it is, what's so odd about ED catering to by far the largest portion of players?

And why do you try to bring your personal gripe against some server to the newsletter discussion? Take it up with the server owners through appropriate channels (and maybe see if maybe your behaviour is the cause of it and part of the problem why so few players enjoy MP…?). Geez…

• Like 2

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Rudel_chw
Personal culture is a completely different matter. You can always change the environment, limit yourself to a few friends.

nieznany  

I didn't mean the elite groups. I have no grudge, everyone has the right to fly as they want and like. I'm just stating that these are two different ways of flying. I value contact with other people and fortunately I have such friends.  🍻

Edited by padonis
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

I played MP for a year and a half, but got tired of the obnoxious, immature  and rude people that one encounters on the MP scene ... finally realized that I enjoyed DCS more when playing alone.

Sounds like you'd enjoy playing with a squadron though. There are several groups out there that will accommodate a wide variety of playstyles, while offering a nice experience.

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

20 minutes ago, Harker said:

Sounds like you'd enjoy playing with a squadron though. There are several groups out there that will accommodate a wide variety of playstyles, while offering a nice experience.

I belonged to a spanish squadron for almost a year, and found that, while better than an open server, they were a bit paranoid that I could "steal" their missions and secret documents .. it seems that within the squadron was a core of friends that knew themselves well, but treated the rest of us with distrust. 

Finally I had to realize that MP is just not for everyone and while I respect those that like MP, it is a bit irksome the way the MP people try to evangelize the rest of us onto jumping on the MP bandwagon.

• Like 1

I belonged to a spanish squadron for almost a year, and found that, while better than an open server, they were a bit paranoid that I could "steal" their missions and secret documents .. it seems that within the squadron was a core of friends that knew themselves well, but treated the rest of us with distrust. 

Finally I had to realize that MP is just not for everyone and while I respect those that like MP, it is a bit irksome the way the MP people try to evangelize the rest of us onto jumping on the MP bandwagon.
I was just making a suggestion, in case you hadn't tried it. The thing about stealing missions and docs is... a little weird, I'll give you that.

I agree, to each their own. I played SP for years before I switched to MP and while I now enjoy MP more, it's also much more involved than SP and doesn't always go smoothly. TBH, this is the first time I hear people complaining about the dynamic campaign, I thought everyone was excited for it. I know I am and I hope it can be used on servers.
  • Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

11 hours ago, DanielNL said:

In addition to the many other rebuttals your post has had already... didn't someone, I think it was Nick Grey, in an interview clearly state that the dynamic campaign would be for multiplayer servers also? Now I'm almost exclusively a singleplayer, but if I was into multiplayer then the idea of a consistent dynamic campaign being run between a few dozen people, or two virtual squadrons facing off, would seem like a revolutionary thing for DCS. Hell, even I would be tempted to get involved with that.

The dynamic campaign, for me personally, is the biggest thing I'm looking forward to. Well, maybe after the clouds 😀

• Like 2

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

12 hours ago, DanielNL said:

Why does ED even focus on "Dynamic Campaign", isn't that gonna be purely singleplayer (or only very few players) anyways? If so, then I'd gladly pass on that feature and instead prefer ED to either

A) finally host official realistic PvP servers (ft. CSAR mod etc.) or for ED to

B) make sure that at least one certain PvP multiplayer-server finally (after 1-2 years..) stops banning loyal players for childish reasons (heated but still friendly discussion as example) and unbans those again. At least that PvP MP server just has way too much power, due to the nature of flawed management-structure on that server (the historically to-mankind-known infamous "1-man-full-authority" structure...)

I guess option B) is the way less exhausting option for ED... (Sometimes it just takes a short communication between respected ED staff and a PvP MP server management to improve MP for everyone... 😉 )

please, everyone, make sure you support PvP multiplayer in the right way, please always play on servers with a power-divided management structure (=several rational people having to vote about server-related decisions), thank you!!

Not referring to RSR server here (in my signature), that server is really awesome!

dude first 90% of DCS players including me are SP only. Second we have been waiting for a DC for over 10yrs now. For 10yrs I can’t really enjoy DCS for more than a couple of hours a year because there is nothing to do except the boring scripted missions. DC is what will bring DCS on par with Falcon and will offer unlimited replaybility and immersion. It’s the number one needed feature period. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Maybe a bit of a newbie question here, but might  the introduction of "Vulkan API and Multi-threading" in Q3 offset that a little ? or am I being hopelessly optimistic ?

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

12 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

I never flew on MP since 2 weeks ago.

A joined a French Squadron (2nd FFS) with my Mi-8.

Now, I only play in MP, but with members of the squadron only.

I found motivated and serious people, realistic scenarios and exciting flights !

You must be lucky to find this kind of thing.

For sur I will never go back to SP.

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 1

Wow this newsletter was exciting. Q3/Q4 2021 will be a super exciting time for DCS

I think we'll also see some nice new computer hardware around this time.  So perhaps the dream of flying an all of these wonderful aircraft at a smooth 90fps in VR will be a reality 🙂

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

• Ground Units: M1A2, AMX-56 Leclerc, Wespe Sd.Kfz.124, KS-19 100mm ADA, Son-4 “Flap Wheel” radar, C1 Ariete, Pantsir SA-22 “Greyhound”, and S-300/SA-10 “Grumble”

Hello, I just want to correct the last Newsletter. The Leclerc named "AMX-56" is an error. It has never been named "AMX-56" in real life. Its true name is just "Leclerc" or "Leclerc S1", "Leclerc S2", "Leclerc SXXI".

Edit (adding source) : First § say it's incorrect Wikipedia EN. Never used Wikipedia FR.

Edited by SilverSho0t

On 1/8/2021 at 7:04 PM, padonis said:

I mean, is it still in the plans or will it be. Because as we can see, BS3 is unlikely to be finished. According to the announcement, they were to start doing the Mig-29 after BS3, so theoretically they could start. However, reading the latest news, his fate may be similar to BS3.

IIRC, they were planning to add President-S MWS system with the BS3 as one of its features as I think it was tested on one of the many Ka-50 development prototypes.

Since the system only recently entered service, I can understand its considered sensitive stuff, but I don't think this will in any case influence modelling the basic 9-12 variant.

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!