2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4509138&postcount=273

News letter live, enjoy!

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, lot of months ago, i read in a Newsletter that ED was working in a huge improve of fps in VR.

Any news about this?

They tried a while ago (end of last year IIRC), and were quite excited, but it didn't exactly work out. I wouldn't expect anything until we get the new graphics engine with Vulkan somewhere in 2021 .

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Just to be clear: No one said Vulkan in 2021, its still a long way off.

i also fear, it's a long way off, however back in summer 2018 wags suggested that vulkan release would be somewhat close ("Base programming and testing should be finished next month." 08-09-2018 ), so it's very understandable that people get a bit nervous by 2020...

• Like 1

Just to be clear: No one said Vulkan in 2021, its still a long way off.

I guess Simon Pearson would like to have a chat with you on that... it was him who said that the new engine, which is going to be utilizing Vulkan, multi threading and even RTX, is planned to be released into public testing somewhere in 2021. Of course that can be anywhere from 2022 - 2025 for the actual release into OB as there probably will be an OA for it first, but well. Let's just hope enough. DCS really does need that stuff, and Single Pass Stereo rendering badly.

As for the most recent NL (no, not you, 9L): Can't wait for the SA symbology on that JHMCS in the Hornet... will I finally be able to "see" other planes with that? Very exciting! Also looking forward to the AZ/EL and GRID things there. And that has to compete with the F-14A... comesoon.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I guess Simon Pearson would like to have a chat with you on that... it was him who said that the new engine, which is going to be utilizing Vulkan, multi threading and even RTX, is planned to be released into public testing somewhere in 2021. [...]

Wow! Do you have a link for that???

Wow! Do you have a link for that???

Thats not the link you ment but another interesting resource

A statement of Nick Grey on some things ED is working on.

here's the link to the Video where Nick Grey has commented:

And this is a part of his comment

Screenshot_20201030-234012_YouTube.thumb.jpg.4c38c06c38afbb84e5be44e409b47bd1.jpg

• Like 1

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

It was in the Future of DCS interview that GR did.

No, GR did another Interview with Simon, the global Buiseness director of ED. But they did that because of the Comment from Nick Grey of Samurai 1-1's Video what I posted above.

The one from GR can be found here:

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

• 2 weeks later...

When can we expect some news regarding Helicopters?

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

So is the newsletter today the announcement/confirmation that we are getting the MIG 29?

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

No, but mayhaps the MiG we have will be improved significantly.. I would gladly eat crow on this however!

I read the MiG-29 newsletter thing as a shoulder-patting for the current MiG-29 FM. Much concern has been voiced about certain issues with the FM, but the bottom-line is the FM engineer(s) and some fan-boys say that's the way it is and that's the end of it, which let me lose interest in the announced full-fidelity MiG-29A.

• Like 1

which let me lose interest in the announced full-fidelity MiG-29A.

I think DCS would benefit greatly from modern(ish) full-fidelity RedFor. Whether or not I like the way that particular airframe flies, is besides the point - at least for me.

Several people here in the Russian section of the forum claim the current FM needs some work, based on their real-life experience. Let's hope this CFD project addresses those concerns :)

Edited by Elysian Angel
typo
  • Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I think DCS would benefit greatly from modern(ish) full-fidelity RedFor. Whether or not I like to way that particular airframe flies, is besides the point - at least for me.

You are probably right. No matter how wobbly the FM is, there will be people who are willing to fly it nevertheless. Some don't care, some don't know better.

Several people here in the Russian section of the forum claim the current FM needs some work, based on their real-life experience. Let's hope this CFD project addresses those concerns :)

Seeing how stubbornly the current FM is defended by people in charge of it with the exact same references to its characteristics in the newsletter as they are also mentioned in the real-life flight manual, but way too much exaggerated in the sim, I don't put my hopes too high. And then there's the blunt statement in the respective forum that you can't really control a MiG-29 with PC hardware because its FM is so realistic :disgust: