2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

ED's Updated QA

Our updated process includes:

Longer internal QA testing and debugging.

Earlier external Beta Tester access to Release Candidates. How to become a Beta Tester. English & Russian links.

A new closed Eagle Dynamics dedicated multiplayer testing server. The invitations will be announced soon.

DCS Open Beta delivery.

Hotfix process (if required).

DCS Stable delivery.

This is a great move.

Better to have stability then rushed out; particularly multiplayer issues because it has an adverse affect on the many wings flying DCS. There are still many folks who are not receiving hostile raw radar paints online while other players do not have the issue, still seeing the occasional open canopy or folded wings, and with the latest iteration more crash to desktops and stutters. Still not able to run more than 2 servers, which is a step backward from the initial release. These points are not criticism, they are pointing out many outstanding issues.

Online wings want DCS to succeed; the potential is so great.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

The release of an unstable Open Beta to our clients has taught us an important lesson, and we are committed to improving the QA before an Open Beta delivery.

Our updated process includes:

Longer internal QA testing and debugging.

Earlier external Beta Tester access to Release Candidates. How to become a Beta Tester. English & Russian links.

A new closed Eagle Dynamics dedicated multiplayer testing server. The invitations will be announced soon.

DCS Open Beta delivery.

Hotfix process (if required).

DCS Stable delivery.

Finally ! That's a very good news ! :cheer3nc:

(Waiting for the actions to follow the words.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

Regarding kate's message in the newsletter today,

Why aren't such things posted here first, with other sites such as reddit linked to here, rather than the other way around?

You would think EDs own forum would and should be the primary source of information

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Good newsletter, sounds like a great plan to have a dedicated multiplayer testing server. Hopefully ED will get a bunch of players with all different spec rigs on the server but please don't forget to include some VR users on there too! Nothing worse than a good update being released for 2D that turns out a stutter fest for the VR folks!

Love that screenshot with the Spitfire. I'm guessing that's the Channel Map?

Looking forward to further updates as and when :thumbup:

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Why aren't such things posted here first, with other sites such as reddit linked to here, rather than the other way around?

You would think EDs own forum would and should be the primary source of information

Agreed. Sounds like a common sense approach. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

"We will try to keep a schedule of 2-week iterations once the DCS World 2.5.6 Stable is released.

I have started posting development milestones on Reddit in the Hoggit community which you can read here. These will also be posted to our official forums.

I will continue to inform you about the progress of each project on our official ED forum.

Kate Perederko

Chief Operating Officer Eagle Dynamics"

I recently re watched The Final Countdown (Nimitz, retour vers l'enfer), the A7-E looks damn cool methinks, I'm looking forward to read more on the development of that plane!

Also thanks for the dev report, +1 to what ngreenaway said (edit: I read the newsletter too quickly :music_whistling: "I will continue to inform you about the progress of each project on our official ED forum" :thumbup:).

Enjoy the week-end!:pilotfly:

Edited by Foobee

System: Win10 Pro | 9900K @Stock - Z390 | 32GB @3200 | GTX 1080 - 27'' LCD | M2 SSDs | ...and for now, an X-55 borrowed from a friend (thx mate!) to replace a ...gamepad... O Joy!)

Modules: A-10C | Combined Arms | F/A-18C | Persian Gulf | Superarrier

"We will try to keep a schedule of 2-week iterations once the DCS World 2.5.6 Stable is released.

I have started posting development milestones on Reddit in the Hoggit community which you can read here. These will also be posted to our official forums.

I will continue to inform you about the progress of each project on our official ED forum.

Kate Perederko

Happy to see the « two more weeks » iterations as official statement.

It’s a good news but i think it’s better to see the result before to be satisfied !!

I'm sorry to say, Kate Perederko.

But reading that 2010 list of requirements for Beta Testers, if you are still aiming for an invitation only model, then it will never be an eclectic and representative group. It's just "the buddies" system that troubles me, invalidating almost all other aspects listed.

You should allow candidates with proven capabilites to apply to beta testing, not searching the forum for the biggest poster or most active lurker.

PS: I'm not applying here. I just feel this supposed "merit" system listed by Wags would forever condition me if I wanted to become a Beta Tester. I'm just not a forum lurker at all, no matter how much experience and know-how I could bring to a testing team.

"The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods.

More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine." — Plato, Phaedrus.

Kate Perederko

Well, her original post was done on reddit about a week or so ago, I'm saying this should've been the default outlet from the beginning

That being said, I would hope and encourage more posts such as those

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Well what can I say very surprised in a very good way by today's new's letter. Well done ED, I can only suppot you in comunicating more in this way. Some things in the Reddid milestone tread are not leave me a bit disapointed for now (No it's not that F-16/F-18 are sharing the same team), but when there's expectations there's always bond to be some disapointment. And this new move to be more transparent is definitly a step in the right direction.

Again, Well done ED.

I agree, one would think important news like this would be on DCS/ED forum first, it struck me as a very unusual.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

But reading that 2010 list of requirements for Beta Testers, if you are still aiming for an invitation only model, then it will never be an eclectic and representative group. It's just "the buddies" system that troubles me, invalidating almost all other aspects listed.

You should allow candidates with proven capabilites to apply to beta testing, not searching the forum for the biggest poster or most active lurker.

PS: I'm not applying here. I just feel this supposed "merit" system listed by Wags would forever condition me if I wanted to become a Beta Tester. I'm just not a forum lurker at all, no matter how much experience and know-how I could bring to a testing team.

for every plane or module they should have a few outside beta testers with various systems, they need to decide how far they want to support older systems too ( when its to old, its just that to old), (at least 3 outside testers per plane or module), just like the way their doing it at IL 2 Greatest Battles, They have in house testers, QA testers, then it's sent to us outside testers before release. This is also their outsourced developers for maps and planes. as the same ED is doing.

invest in better server dispatch and better internet services for such support.

an average turn around is once every 3 weeks.

Edited by Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Lets start by saying that I really appreciate the huge effort at transparency that is shown in Kate Perederko's reddit post. This is outstanding. Not only the post but the fact ED listen to us, its costumers, and discloses openly its strategy and problems just because we feel disinformed. Kudos to that,

But I wouldnt be honest if I didnt say that I feel dissapointed to see some long time awaited features still put into the inactive list, more than a year after the early access launch of F18. For me, it is mainly aircraft AI, ATC, FLIR, AG radar..

We cannot complain anymore about not being properly informed, and perhaps this is the way it has to be in this bussiness and with this legacy code as a base. But for me (I have no clue about professional software development) things are coming too slowly, sometimes pacing up (it seems) but some other times the rate of new updates and fixes seems to drop a lot and I desperate. Looking at the remaining "to do list" makes me wonder how long it is gonna take.. That is where my feeling of frustration comes from...

Thank you ED very much for listening and finding some time to take care of us. I will continue to wait and hope...

so will we get updates every two weeks? This fact does not convince me too many modules never finished, also the desire to extend the audience of alpha testers only leads to confusion (yes alpha tester because the game will always be in beta).

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

I wish the Hoggitt exchange regarding development at ED was posted here. Although a fan of ED, I was (am) critical of the recent update and lack of progress on their EA modules. Having said that, after going to Hoggitt to read the updates there and the responses by Nick Grey, my confidence is somewhat buoyed. Honesty and transparency goes a long way. Hoping for a better 2020 and some finished modules.

Paco

I disagree.

The point is that ED gets some testers they can and will work with on their termes. It doesn't matter if you the best pilot on on the earth, if you can't communicate as they want it.

As I see it, they want a TEAM, not a bunch of hotshots :-)

@Shuenix the point possibly being they can select people as they wish, and exclude who they wish. there’s a risk that that becomes a clique or a a bunch of yes men (and women) and loses effectiveness so I agree with @BlueAngel

Also there is no way I would want to do this. Given the one MP bug I raised took 11 months just to be acknowledged (and last I checked it still wasn’t fixed!) - I would just get stressed that so many bugs I report are just being let through and stay unaddressed for weeks/months. I wonder how the current community testers feel seeing the reaction to 2.5.6? I would expect that they caught a lot of the issues and reported them.

I’m guessing It’s a pretty thankless task as you would be caught between wanting to do a good job, knowing that issues were caught in testing, but weren’t addressed, but likely you wouldn’t be able to talk about it.

Hoping they do as they say and massively tighten up.

• ED Team
@Shuenix the point possibly being they can select people as they wish, and exclude who they wish. there’s a risk that that becomes a clique or a a bunch of yes men (and women) and loses effectiveness so I agree with @BlueAngel

Also there is no way I would want to do this. Given the one MP bug I raised took 11 months just to be acknowledged (and last I checked it still wasn’t fixed!) - I would just get stressed that so many bugs I report are just being let through and stay unaddressed for weeks/months. I wonder how the current community testers feel seeing the reaction to 2.5.6? I would expect that they caught a lot of the issues and reported them.

I’m guessing It’s a pretty thankless task as you would be caught between wanting to do a good job, knowing that issues were caught in testing, but weren’t addressed, but likely you wouldn’t be able to talk about it.

Hoping they do as they say and massively tighten up.

Being a closed beta tester is not for everyone, you do need to be capable of testing and conversing with the team when reporting issues in a calm, polite and professional way, implying they are yes men is insulting, and could not be further from the truth.

I started as a volunteer tester and enjoy it for many years, the team we have now do some great work and we are grateful for it.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@Shuenix the point possibly being they can select people as they wish, and exclude who they wish. there’s a risk that that becomes a clique or a a bunch of yes men (and women) and loses effectiveness so I agree with @BlueAngel.

It realy doesn't matter if it's yesmen or backclappers or whatever they are, as long as the job gets done.

If it was me, I would also decide who to take in. I would take the guys I believe in. So would you.

You don't need hotshot pilots to fly from a to b and bomb some targets or whatever ED have in mind.

As I see it, such a team should consist of veterans and newbies. Newbies often ask questions, that a veteran never will do.

I hope we will get a productive Closed Beta team and may they have fun in doing their work.