2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

12 minutes ago, D4n said:

Has the SFM (Standard Flight Model) been used for all (or most) Ai jets until now, instead of the flightmodels of the player jets?? Why??? 🤨

1. Yes, all AI aircraft use SFM, including aircraft that are modules.
  2. The reason for this is due to performance concerns as well as the need to develop AFM/PFM for each aircraft.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

18 minutes ago, D4n said:

Has the SFM (Standard Flight Model) been used for all (or most) Ai jets until now, instead of the flightmodels of the player jets?? Why??? 🤨

They explain in the Article why SFM is used instead of AFM/PFM.

• Like 3

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

10 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

They explain in the Article why SFM is used instead of AFM/PFM.

ah, thanks.

Also, who asked for Mi-24 high-poly "flight gloves" or some "Navigator chronograph model 3133" watch?? Where are our Mi-24 R-60 Molniya A2A missiles???? Many of us bought Hind for just one reason, online PvP... And I'm sure many of those (incl. me) bought it primarily to employ R-60 against players. Wait... may ED be delaying R-60 on purpose? If so, why?

Edited by D4n
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

12 minutes ago, D4n said:

ah, thanks.

Also, who asked for Mi-24 high-poly "flight gloves" or some "Navigator chronograph model 3133" watch?? Where are our Mi-24 R-60 Molniya A2A missiles???? Many of us bought Hind for just one reason, online PvP... And I'm sure many of those (incl. me) bought it primarily to employ R-60 against players. Wait... ED, are you delaying R-60 on purpose?? If so, why???

Why did "many" of you buy an attack helicopter solely for MP air-to-air?

The R-60 is waiting on an IR overhaul, allowing it to track anything with a strong enough heat signature, including ground vehicles in certain conditions.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

43 minutes ago, D4n said:

ah, thanks.

Also, who asked for Mi-24 high-poly "flight gloves" or some "Navigator chronograph model 3133" watch?? Where are our Mi-24 R-60 Molniya A2A missiles???? Many of us bought Hind for just one reason, online PvP... And I'm sure many of those (incl. me) bought it primarily to employ R-60 against players. Wait... ED, are you delaying R-60 on purpose?? If so, why???

The High-poly pilots (Mi-24, AH-64, carrier crew, others show on the last weeks), has working by ED 3D scultur and Mocap teams on Minsk studio from some years ago, has nothing new. On 2020 they start to improve all human 3D models with news models.

3D Scanning

Development Report

We have started the improvement of all our human models in DCS World. The first step is to create a reference database containing different parts of the human body and prepare prototypes that will be used for all models.

how we started observing the differences in our current models and note areas of improvements. The upgrades will be visible both in geometry and skinning throughout DCS World.

image_2020_03_03T14_22_27_666Z.pngimage_2020_03_02T13_19_30_537Z.pngimage_2020_03_02T13_20_00_959Z.png

The picture with one hand is received from the scanner and drastically improves lead time for model creation. The other pictures compare new and old models.

They dont build modules, systems or wepons. That system has build by the helicopter team on the old belsimtek studio outside of Moscow.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

The AI changes are great news, but I do have to say:

"Although SFM produces accurate trajectory parameters such as turn rate, specific excess power, flight envelope, etc. it suffers from a lack of natural short-period movement and switched models for ground and flight."

Seeing an F-5 do endless tight loops without any energy loss isn't exactly accurate, my guys. 

Or a spitifre able to boom and zoom with ease like it's a 109k.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

The GFM improvements has build by part of the AI team, no all. Remember ED has talked has some paralel lines on project, from some years ago.

Aircraft Artificial Intelligence (AI)

In 2019 we made initial improvements to the dogfight AI that delivers more realistic and human behaviour, this also includes implementation of modern control theory Necessary Condition Analysis (NCA) and Incremental Nonlinear Dynamic Inversion (INDI) to all our AI aircraft in DCS in 2020. The new approach will extend flight envelopes and improve AI control quality and control response in mass and moment of inertia changes. In 2020 we will continue this effort, but also devote resources to improve other AI areas to include:

• Beyond Visual Range (BVR) offensive and defensive behaviour
  • Formation keeping and correct use of external lights
  • Air-to-Ground attack maneuvers
  • Very-low level flight and terrain following
  • Defensive threat responses (SAM and AAA)

Enhanced AI

Behaviour

Currently, much of our AI engineering effort is focused on the AI aircraft behaviour, in harmony with the new damage modelling and in line with logical and understandable rules and practices. Additionally, the new ATC and radio communications will demand a significant amount of AI engineering. This work is ongoing and will probably never really be finished but we do hope to deliver substantial enhancements during the latter half of 2021.

Diferent lines and branches, all has only a matter of time.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Why did "many" of you buy an attack helicopter solely for MP air-to-air?

Why?? Maybe because of Mi-24 being a beast, being armored (according to rumors afaik?) even against 12.7mm shells and its' capability to carry troops or heavy weapons/ammunition inside the helicopter and 30mm sci-fi firing rate cannon and and and... ? 😛 Many many reasons that make the Mi-24P imo incredibly more interesting in PvP than the Gazelle Mistral for example.

40 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

The R-60 is waiting on an IR overhaul, allowing it to track anything with a strong enough heat signature, including ground vehicles in certain conditions.

IR overhaul =/= "R-60 missile cannot be added in current state"........... I don't care when ground track ability comes, I want what it is intended for, and asap, the A2A ability that so many soviet DCS jets already have........

Edited by D4n
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

1 hour ago, D4n said:

Why?? Maybe because of Mi-24 being a beast, being armored (according to rumors afaik?) even against 12.7mm shells and its' capability to carry troops or heavy weapons/ammunition inside the helicopter and 30mm sci-fi firing rate cannon and and and... ? 😛 Many many reasons that make the Mi-24P imo incredibly more interesting in PvP than the Gazelle Mistral for example.

What have any of those got to do with air-to-air? Especially the ability to carry troops and equipment in the passenger/cargo compartment.

1 hour ago, D4n said:

IR overhaul =/= "R-60 missile cannot be added in current state"........... I don't care when ground track ability comes, I want what it is intended for, and asap, the A2A ability that so many soviet DCS jets already have........

IIRC ED stated that they're going to do the IR upgrade before adding the R-60s, though there is the 9M220O Ataka which is geared towards air targets.

• Like 2

System:

3 hours ago, D4n said:

Why??. ? 😛 

Does anyone have an actual source from ED that the IR overhaul actually will include things like missiles? I feel like it's a topic that has taken on it's own life but did they actually ever state this somewhere?

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

3 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Does anyone have an actual source from ED that the IR overhaul actually will include things like missiles? I feel like it's a topic that has taken on it's own life but did they actually ever state this somewhere?

I'll try and dig it up but I swear there was something, somewhere about IR AAMs being able to track anything with a suitably large enough IR signature for their seekers, I've no idea (though I strongly doubt) if it's going to start modelling IR seekers with more fidelity, like the AIM-120s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

System:

You can already hit fighters that are parked on the ramp with heat seakers. It seems as if the programming behind it just checks if the intended target in front of the seeker is an aircraft, regardless of it being parked or airborne.
That being said, it is obviously highly preferable that there is some more logic involved, and actual IR signature restrictions implementation.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

8 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

I'll try and dig it up but I swear there was something, somewhere about IR AAMs being able to track anything with a suitably large enough IR signature for their seekers, I've no idea (though I strongly doubt) if it's going to start modelling IR seekers with more fidelity, like the AIM-120s.

I mean I know I've been cheerleading the effort in many ways, but for the life of me I can't remember what that was founded on with regards to the IR rework. It might have been something Chiz said at one point, but I honestly don't recall it being in anything official.

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

11 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

11 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

2 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

I mean I know I've been cheerleading the effort in many ways, but for the life of me I can't remember what that was founded on with regards to the IR rework. It might have been something Chiz said at one point, but I honestly don't recall it being in anything official.

If this can point you in a more precise direction i think you're referencing this to the Russian war in Afghanistan and the Hinds actually using their heat seaking AA missiles on ground targets on which they would get enough heat source to get a lock, i'm sure i've read it somewhere (Or heard), though i can't remember if it was from a thread on the Forum, a Sunday supplement or Youtube video...

Look around Hind threads and you'll find it i'm sure 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SparxOne said:

If this can point you in a more precise direction i think you're referencing this to the Russian war in Afghanistan and the Hinds actually using their heat seaking AA missiles on ground targets on which they would get enough heat source to get a lock, i'm sure i've read it somewhere (Or heard), though i can't remember if it was from a thread on the Forum, a Sunday supplement or Youtube video...

Look around Hind threads and you'll find it i'm sure 🙂

Yeah it might be. And I'm not contesting the "Reality" of it, rather the other way around. But I'm just thinking, is there some newsletter out there where they actually said they would "fix" IR missile stuff in DCS. I mean the community clearly wants it. But thats the case for almost everything. 

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Same.

@SparxOne  I swear the exact thing you're describing was the reason why these missiles were to be upgraded (as this is how they should work).

• Like 1

System:

Looking at some Apache screenshots, that Phalanx CIWS mounted to a HEMTT truck will be a nice replacement of M163 units in DCS.

In_Dev_12.11.2021.7.jpg

Keep up the great work ED!

Edited by Gierasimov

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

1 hour ago, Gierasimov said:

Looking at some Apache screenshots, that Phalanx CIWS mounted to a HEMTT truck will be a nice replacement of M163 units in DCS.

In_Dev_12.11.2021.7.jpg

Keep up the great work ED!

Yep, but let's hope they give it the right rounds and the correct dispersion, as it's been wrong on the naval Phalanxs since forever.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Thanks 1

System:

We have prepared a preview of the appearance of 3D ground units to infrared sensors. In the above screenshots, you may notice attention has been made to the signature of tires, which increase in brightness based on distance driven over various terrain types.

I don't wanna complain, but don't you think you're taking it a bit too far in terms of simulation depth of the FLIR rendering? 😄

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

6 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

I don't wanna complain, but don't you think you're taking it a bit too far in terms of simulation depth of the FLIR rendering? 😄

I want to see if the gun barrels on the tanks will show up hotter after they have been fired.

As well, I expect to be able to see if a soldier is carrying hot coffee or iced. Because if he is carrying iced coffee, it's an extra APKWS for him. :glare:

• Like 5

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

1 minute ago, Beirut said:

I want to see if the gun barrels on the tanks will show up hotter after they have been fired.

As well, I expect to be able to see if a soldier is carrying hot coffee or iced. Because if he is carrying iced coffee, it's an extra APKWS for him. :glare:

Check the up video.... gun barrels has own heat modeled.

• Like 3