2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

They've always had a closed beta team

By current experiences, either that closed beta team has been incompetent, or Ed didn’t address bugs and issues they raise before pushing patches. I see no other explanation for arches like 2.5.6.

So it is GOOD that ED have admitted their QA process has not been good enough, especially wrt Multiplayer.

By current experiences, either that closed beta team has been incompetent, or Ed didn’t address bugs and issues they raise before pushing patches. I see no other explanation for arches like 2.5.6.

I see a third: the team was just too small to encounter all of that issues that the OB users did. So their plan to raise the number of closed beta testers with all their different hardware configs is a good idea. I agree here at 100%.

Good/Cheap/Fast - Pick Two!

There are loud voices demanding both faster releases and better quality, which leaves only one free variable - the price. Maybe increasing the budget, we could expect better quality releases in quicker succession.

One could argue that the price of the modules is not exactly cheap, but then you would think free market would spawn more competition. So we are safe to assume that the price is indeed cheap for this kind of product.

Edited by Unclezam
Added some reasoning.

I see a third: the team was just too small to encounter all of that issues that the OB users did. So their plan to raise the number of closed beta testers with all their different hardware configs is a good idea. I agree here at 100%.

This imo is absolutely it. There are few of them and they do work hard and are good at what they do. You simply cannot find the amount of issues that 100s or 1000s of different open beta are able to find due to hardware differences, load put on servers, and simply more eyes/combinations of different ways they implement weapons, etc.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

BETA VERSION: reserved only for tester team.

STABLE VERSION: for public and all modules on store will be always in stable version.

Once every one, or two months update to the next stable version.

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

STABLE VERSION: for public and all modules on store will be always in stable version.

We heard you the first time. No need to labour the point.

We heard you the first time. No need to labour the point.

You are right, will be effect coronavirus ( covid-19).

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

If Multiplayer servers crash within 15 minutes, and two modules cause crash on start up, I would say that that is not something you need a large team to find. Just ensuring there are certain basic things tested as well as the size of the team.

You can have the largest team out there but if they’re only flying the flavour of the month plane in single player (for example) you won’t find very obvious issues impacting other planes and Multiplayer

Hope it will not work this way.

Current approach is the best, you have stable version and beta just if you want to test it

While I know nothing's been stated by ED as to what will happen with their beta testing, I do know if I have to wait a couple of months for some sort of stable update and that's all that is accessible to me?

I'll find something else to spend my money and time on, simple as that.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

If Multiplayer servers crash within 15 minutes, and two modules cause crash on start up, I would say that that is not something you need a large team to find. Just ensuring there are certain basic things tested as well as the size of the team.

You can have the largest team out there but if they’re only flying the flavour of the month plane in single player (for example) you won’t find very obvious issues impacting other planes and Multiplayer

IIRC there had to be 5 or more players for the issue to show? I may be wrong.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

While I know nothing's been stated by ED as to what will happen with their beta testing, I do know if I have to wait a couple of months for some sort of stable update and that's all that is accessible to me?

I'll find something else to spend my money and time on, simple as that.

Good luck finding other developers, who update their stable versions more frequently than ED. I am used to see big updates only every 6 or 12 months from other game/sim devs, so ED and their 3rd party devs are actually making a good job compared to the others.

Hope it will not work this way.

Current approach is the best, you have stable version and beta just if you want to test it

I agree! To me the current method is not broken so don't "fix" it. However I do wonder if we are to expect less frequent updates. Some have gotten spoiled in expecting an update every week and hammering with the question, in these forums "Will there be an update this week"? With a lot of new technology and improved methods on approach to coding things just simply take more time now. I see that it may be a possibility in a way to curb the expectations in the frequency in updates to come.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Good luck finding other developers, who update their stable versions more frequently than ED. I am used to see big updates only every 6 or 12 months from other game/sim devs, so ED and their 3rd party devs are actually making a good job compared to the others.

Oh, it won't be in this genre. I've got other interests wanting part of my gaming budget. :)

Until the products they list as "early access" are out of said early access and into some sort of stable AND completed environment, which I don't see happening any time soon...any trimming of patching to less than every couple of weeks isn't going to work.

Didn't we used to see patches every couple of weeks? That seems like a good timeline, allowing for time to test/analyze/repair major problems. Did the release of more early access products require the need for more patches? I guess it has. If so, they've created this early access cash monster, so they have to feed it or get it on a diet. Or, it'll go find other food. :D

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

+1

DCS is the only game I know which uses its instable beta branch as a quasi main release. The whole EA release method promotes it even more.

People are people. Everyone wants the shiny new stuff right now. But the community needs to be forced to stay in stable. There needs to be restricted access to the beta branch. No way around. Otherwise this mess will happen again and again.

There is a good reason why beta branches are kept behind locked doors. It hurt the companies reputation if half baked stuff is put out into the public.

I have stayed on stable branch because of that...

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

BETA VERSION: For those that understand what a Beta version actually is, tests and help find and report bugs to ED. Must sign a wavier clearly stating what OB is before being allowed to download. This would also apply to purchasing a EA module

Stable Version: For everyone else, so as to eliminate confusion. Updated 4 times a year , not withstanding new releases. Stable version only gets the modules once out of 1st phase of EA (I.E working damage model, 75% of weapons and systems working properly.)

See anyone can do it.

The OB/EA model is good for ED to bring in early revenue. I'm sure most of their income depends on making new content available. Yes there is something to be said about quality and stable software otherwise we are not able to play and enjoy. If they just focused on bug squashing and constant cleanup with nothing new to offer how long do you think they would stay in business? There simply has to be a balance to stay afloat as a company.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Some of you guys aren't getting it and I fail to understand why.

If you want a stable DCS with releases that are complete and tested, you stay with the stable DCS version. You get exactly what you want. You say you re willing to wait for the complete version. That's what stable DCS is.

If you agree to, and volunteer to use the BETA version, you knew exactly what you signed on for. You are getting an incomplete version that has not been completely tested. It's what you agreed to. It all makes perfect sense to me.

I have BETA and I fly it to see what ED is doing with it's updates. It's not always pretty but it tells me what direction DCS is headed in and gives me an idea of upcoming improvements.

I have stable for when I want to just chill and enjoy.

It seems that some of you are just happy when you aren't happy.

If you want a stable DCS with releases that are complete and tested, you stay with the stable DCS version. You get exactly what you want. You say you re willing to wait for the complete version. That's what stable DCS is.

If you agree to, and volunteer to use the BETA version, you knew exactly what you signed on for. You are getting an incomplete version that has not been completely tested. It's what you agreed to. It all makes perfect sense to me.

I have BETA and I fly it to see what ED is doing with it's updates. It's not always pretty but it tells me what direction DCS is headed in and gives me an idea of upcoming improvements.

Actually, I don’t think you’re getting it.

Stable DCS is not ‘with releases that are complete and tested’ at all. It is just a previous build of the OB without show-stopping bugs. Modules are, in fact, less complete.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

If you can show me any other project of the same complexity that has so many improvements being worked on for your future excitement with an equally small team on an equally small budget that has NO BUGs, I'll gladly join your march.

For now, I'm just happy with what we have rather than wasting my time being unhappy with what I don't have.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Stable DCS is not ‘with releases that are complete and tested’ at all. It is just a previous build of the OB without show-stopping bugs. Modules are, in fact, less complete.

+100

Well said - and should be common sense. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Well yes, because said features are tested on OB? How else are they supposed to be completed and tested?