2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

Reddit Information release & Update

I am VERY grateful to Kate Perederko the chief operating officer of Eagle Dynamics

who gave us the link initially for this Reddit release of info.

What a breath of fresh air for the author to speak candidly and clearly about ED's investments of resources into improving this sim. And where the real work is being focused.

After not flying any DCS whatsoever for many weeks now I thought to check back in and see if anything had changed from the last big 2020 update video and postings. What made me finally take a break from DCS for the first time in over a decade was their usual yearly unfulfilled claims of working to improve the core of DCS for better performance. Indeed I have updated my personal system 3 times in 10 years with the goal of a better DCS experience. But those upgrades never delivered and were always immediately nerfed to death due to DCS 'anti-improvement-updates'. No need to rewrite what hundreds have shared about DCS 'core updates and improvements' wrecking their performance over the last many years here.

I had already addressed that this was a yearly unfulfilled 'goal' of ED for the last several years myself. It never goes anywhere, but its great to learn that most others feel the same way and are tired of their own fruitless and ever endless websearches scouring for anything at all that might make this single-thread-single-core-sim run just 1 fps better than last year.

Anywho, to get back to the nature of this post, I am VERY Thankful to Reddit author Kate Perederko the chief operating officer of Eagle Dynamics for her upfront sharing of just how impossible a time ED has had this decade in working to get this ancient-coded sim to work on more than just one thread or core on a modern PC. I felt her frustration and pain describing their wrestling with the ancient 'Spaghetti code' that she described as DCS. I understand better now, and I thank her for her article.

Added to her article I also learned a great deal in my stay-cation away from DCS these last many weeks.

First, I played a lot more and flew a ton more in other modern-PC friendly sims. Actually this is an understatement as I flew about 80% more in this time away. I spent time flying in other sims that I typically had wasted scouring the web/forums/Youtube etc... for anything to help DCS run better.

When you stop and break the habit and then take that time and spend it having FUN elsewhere then you'll get it yourself. It will shock and sadden you as it did me thinking about how much nightly/weekly time I had wasted in the last 11 years fruitlessly trying to get a kite like DCS to fly supersonic on a modern PC. DCS is beautiful, yes; but run well or optimized, not yet.

I had purchased pretty much everything DCS going back well past the Lomac days. And DCS does run if you can look past the stutters and the blinding-horror that is DCS in VR....

But after the FREEDOM I have experienced these last 30+ days of flying other working sims and games AWAY from DCS, I simply cannot go back to this failed relationship with ED.

As admitted in the Reddit article their goals for actual performance increases, let alone implementation of Vulkan are so far future as to not even being given any hope of bothering to pretend to set a goal-date. Not coming, not happening. Upgrade your PC all you want, it won't matter here at all or past the next few 'updates'.

With that said my wallet remains sealed shut to DCS. And after the horror show that the last 'improvement' update was for most I won't be allowing DCS to update either. I am pretty much resigned to uninstalling but I honestly just have not had the guts to just yet. But after 30+ days of flying and recreating in many other modern and modernized sims I simply have no desire to jump back into DCS for another stutterfest evening of headaches trying to fly VR or searching for a mod that might actually help this time.... Just not worth it any longer.

I thank the author's honestly and I thank ED for over a dozen years of DCS. In leaving this dysfunctional sim relationship I do harbor the hope that maybe one year when I check back in then I will find that ED at some point literally did invest resources into updating DCS to work on modern multi-core PC's, like ALL modern games and sims have done or are actually working to do.

It is many hundreds of dollars of personal investment lost to me in aircraft and maps and addons, but in the next months and years alone I will actually be FLYING and FIGHTING and having FUN in other sims and games instead of searching the internet for DCS performance mods, let alone missing targets because of haphazard stutters and freezes, CTD's too many to count and defending real-world-reality from fanboy attacks.

I will check back in maybe next year seeing as their is zero hope given of ANY honest or real performance updates or Vulkan implementation for at least all of 2020 according to what I have read. What matters to me is a good fly experience. DCS is a pretty Sim, but it does not run well, smooth or stable and there is no advertised honest hope of this any time soon.

I don't speak for everyone, but I bet I speak for a great many pilots, and I know I am speaking my heart as much as Kate has for us all. Good luck Ed, I wish you massive success at those optimizing goals. Your success is all of our success. Looking forward to a future DCS that is optimized, Vulkanized and able to utilize a modern PC like the sims I will be flying from now on. It will be a wonderful thing IF it happens for us all in DCS one day in the years to come☺.

Kate Perederko Upate article Link:

Edited by Flarpt

...But after 30+ days of flying and recreating in many other modern and modernized sims I simply have no desire to jump back into DCS for another stutterfest evening of headaches trying to fly VR or searching for a mod that might actually help this time.... Just not worth it any longer...

Could you name those other modern and modernized sims? I don't know any. At least not with modern aircraft. :huh:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I'm sorry to read certain posts, (not that Flarp is completely wrong) however it is true there are too many incomplete modules and we should pay attention to those who "open the doors" see Veao, perhaps we could consider releasing finished modules on stable versions of the game and make updates every two or three times a year, when you are sure of what you are doing.

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

Could you name those other modern and modernized sims? I don't know any. At least not with modern aircraft. :huh:

This.

My Google must be broken. Every time I search for sims that have FA-18, F-16, F-14, F-5, Viggen, Warbirds, KA-50, MiGs ... in high fidelity with clickable cockpits in a finished or unfinished state I just get one result: DCSW.

Could you help me please?

I don’t think ED has a problem of extreme attrition. They are pretty unique and has the hearts of many fans, however with the news of many enhancements being put off for an indeterminable amount of time, that will turn people off a bit. The thing is if they were first honest about the timeframe of these things in the first place would’ve prevented people from getting disappointed. Anyways, like other times in the past, it’s usually just communications is the problem, not just the wait time in itself. I, too, am disappointed. I won’t stop playing though, just because of its unique play and continuous refinement. I’ve seen worse in the gaming industry. ED certainly isn’t on the bottom of that list. But they have made mistakes that could’ve been avoidable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

This.

My Google must be broken. Every time I search for sims that have FA-18, F-16, F-14, F-5, Viggen, Warbirds, KA-50, MiGs ... in high fidelity with clickable cockpits in a finished or unfinished state I just get one result: DCSW.

Could you help me please?

Yes your google is broken.

unless you mean all the above listed aircraft together in 1 sim.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

+ 100

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

You are straw manning @Flarpt post. He said ‘modern pc friendly sims’ of which there are many.

A sim does not have to contain the same planes/helicopters as DCSW, nor does it even need to have combat in it to compare and contrast how it runs on a modern PC.

You are straw manning @Flarpt post. He said ‘modern pc friendly sims’ of which there are many.

A sim does not have to contain the same planes/helicopters as DCSW, nor does it even need to have combat in it to compare and contrast how it runs on a modern PC.

ok, then lets put it another way: to which sim(s) should I change if I want the planes that DCS offers at that fidelity and with the ability to fight A/A an A/G? (Not to mention Combined Arms abilities.)

@Flarpt

I have the exact same feeling as you and I only started Oct. last year. When 2.5.6 patch was launched it was enough. It was like "Why bother? it get's worse". I haven't played since. I realy would like to fly again, but a part of me have got enough of this half finished sim.

When I started last year, I had the choice of buying The Hornet or the F16. I realy would like the F16. But I thought that the Hornet must be close to finish, since they had the F16 comming, so I chose the Hornet. Boy, I realy got disappointed, it was far from finished. I didn't make it better, when the accelerated the development on the F16, on the behalf the Hornet. At that point I felt I was scamed to buy the Hornet, I realy felt cheated. Now the two aircrafts is pretty much equal in development and it was the F16 I wanted most :-(

All the small bugs is a pain in the ... I know it's Beta, whats the point if the bugs don't get fixed?

I bought the FW 190 A, it is pretty much finished (I think), but we can't put a bomb on it. Again, one of the small things.

I am not giving up on this sim yet. I have decided to give it a couple month more. If no improvement or sign of improvement, I think I will take some months on the sofa and just wait and see if another flight simulator will come my way this year, even a civilian one.

I realy like DCS, but this half finished stuff is too much.

I hope and think, the new closed Betateam, will end up in a much better product.

Edited by Shuenix

@tom Kazansky - that’s the very definition of straw man. You know there is no other sim with the same modules etc as DCS - and you are using that to avoid the actual point. @Flarpt is saying he gets more FUN in other sims as he doesn’t have to deal with the amount of bugs, workarounds and poor optimisation as other sims DESPITE the fact that no other sim contains the planes and A2G/A2A as DCS.

@tom Kazansky - that’s the very definition of straw man. You know there is no other sim with the same modules etc as DCS - and you are using that to avoid the actual point. @Flarpt is saying he gets more FUN in other sims as he doesn’t have to deal with the amount of bugs, workarounds and poor optimisation as other sims DESPITE the fact that no other sim contains the planes and A2G/A2A as DCS.

ok, then I got your point, I guess.

I myself use stable DCS and am not affected too much by those problems. I don't use VR (yet). Just 4k big screen. And I'm patient, so I find the years of (e.g.) FA-18C developement much more interesting and binding to it than annoying.

I understand though, if DCS ain't fun anymore in its present state, and there is enough comparable sims, it seems natural to get that fun somewhere else.

I hope that day is still far away for me, concerning DCS.

The choice is simple - and it is a choice, ergo it is entirely under your control.

Don't like bugs or having your DCS install hampered to what you regard as a level of unplayability?

THEN DON'T USE OPENBETA AS YOUR PRIMARY INSTALL

THE PURPOSE OF THE OPENBETA IS DESIGNED TO ALLOW THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO USE IT TO ASSIST ED IN BUG SQUASHING BY PROVIDING THEM WITH A LARGER USER BASE WITH DIVERSE HARDWARE AND SYSTEM SETUPS MUCH MORE VARIED THAN THEY CAN ACHIEVE WITHIN THEIR OWN TEAM

IF OPENBETA IS YOUR SOLE INSTALLATION THEN YOU CHOSE IT TO BE AND WERE WARNED BEFOREHAND THAT YOU WOULD BE POTENTIALLY SUBJECT TO INSTABILITY

That's why I always speak. openBeta is the updated "stable".

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

The choice is simple - and it is a choice, ergo it is entirely under your control.

Don't like bugs or having your DCS install hampered to what you regard as a level of unplayability?

THEN DON'T USE OPENBETA AS YOUR PRIMARY INSTALL

THE PURPOSE OF THE OPENBETA IS DESIGNED TO ALLOW THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO USE IT TO ASSIST ED IN BUG SQUASHING BY PROVIDING THEM WITH A LARGER USER BASE WITH DIVERSE HARDWARE AND SYSTEM SETUPS MUCH MORE VARIED THAN THEY CAN ACHIEVE WITHIN THEIR OWN TEAM

IF OPENBETA IS YOUR SOLE INSTALLATION THEN YOU CHOSE IT TO BE AND WERE WARNED BEFOREHAND THAT YOU WOULD BE POTENTIALLY SUBJECT TO INSTABILITY

YES BUT ALSO :

ED ONLY SELL MODULES IN STABLE VERSION

Edited by ivo

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

On store only modules and game in stable version, and beta version reserved to tester, SYMPLE.

All modules obviously also from thirdy part....

Unless you fly in MP as that is where ALL popular servers lie. I would also point out that it has now been a year from a bug I raised re the hornet radar and multiplayer still existing in. Both stable and OB...

Thankfully ED have finally agreed to focus more to ensure OB works better for mp

Edited by Arctander

That would be against forum rules but Flarpt is correct. There are several other modern sims with modern AC. Whether they're as good, not as good, better, or worse than DCS is the subject of opinion. And again....Not to be discussed on the forums.

All sims have their ups and downs. Many people go back and forth between them depending on whatever issues are going on with any given sim at the time.

We're missing the main issue here. The last update for DCS was BETA. It is there to give you the opportunity to test and see what issues prevail. If you have DCS open beta version, all you can do is offer input and constructive ideas based on your rig and how it all works with what you have. Downing ED based on a BETA program that you agreed to the terms of when you downloaded it is just short sighted.

This particular thread isn't the place for discussing whether you agree or disagree with ED's perspectives, business model, or past problems that aren't getting addressed. It's the update discussion thread. So it is frustrating for many who are trying to solve issues in a positive environment.

There is exactly one other sim that I know of, meeting the requirements for just one single one of the mentioned airframes. And that's a heavily modded, over two decades old piece of software which literally shows its age up in many aspects. And I'll just quote C.W. Lemoine, a well known former driver of that specific airframe here to conclude this post:

"[The sim that shall not be named] isn't exactly a source."

And ED is working hard on finally putting that sim to a good place in the Hall of Fame of Flight Sims, where it shall rest eventually, being remembered with a good portion of nostalgia. I'm very much looking forward to see things in DCS that the old sim had already, especially the dynamic campaign. But I'd never want to go back there. It's literally like stopping to fly in VR, or with pedals, FFB, TIR or whatever was a big step forward.

Sometimes I still fire up the old FS games in DOSBox that have less sim detail when my time is too limited (since you can't really do anything worthwhile in DCS in less than an hour spent in total for setting up the pit, ensuring every device works flawlessly, firing up the sim, starting up the plane and do the flying - and that's just barely enough for a simple TO, go around and land), but if I want to fly a full-fi sim, I end up running DCS in the Rift without even having to think of any alternative.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg