New built system and Kaby seems stable at 5ghz

So, some of you guys know I just finished a kaby build and I’m very happy with my overall system setup for the money spent, even if the boss paid for most of it, lol.

attachment.php?attachmentid=164049&stc=1&d=1497100515

Intel I7-7700k @ 5Ghz lol

ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500G

Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 3466MHz DDR4

Corsair HX850i 850Watt 80Plus Gold

Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 240mm cooler

ASUS 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, 144Hz, 1ms, G-SYNC

Fractal Design Define R5 Black Case

So, I really wanted to now see what 5Ghz looks like when playing DCS and join the 5Ghz club too, LOL. Wow is all I can say, what a difference Ghz make in these sims!! In 2.1 very low over the middle of Vegas, the system will hold around 60 FPS flat-out in the F-15C take-off mission, and I can turn my head quickly with track IR and is still very smooth. It really has change the flight models that I’m used to, there just much more alive now, hard to explain just how good it is. I'm also looking forward see more system optimization of their new tech by ED too for more FPS.:)

Everything is maxed out except, View distance to Ultra, Civi traffic to medium, Terrain shadow objects Flat and turn off MSAA in DCS if using Deferred Shading, until ED can fix this.

Now, this is at 1440p, 144Hz, G-Sync for reference here guy’s, I’m also still testing lower settings for larger AI missions.

Now I want to double check this is all safe, it seems safe from what I’ve read online. I don’t really want to start De-lidding unless you think it’s really necessary for a longer life expectancy?

To get to 5ghz I just loaded the 5G profile on the maximus ix hero and changed back the Ram to XMP 3466MHz, the clock of the ram and she booted fine.

I have only tested the stability in ASUS/Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for 15 minutes and got to 85C.

Doing nothing she now sits at 36C watching Corsair Link.

In DCS she goes from 60C fluctuates to around 75C, by watching Corsair Link on a second screen. Should I be able to get this cooler when using DCS? By testing other settings in the BIOS, perhaps changing voltages etc? Where is a good place you recommend to start testing or is this good enough at these temps when simming?

I’m more than happy with the speed out of this build and should be great now for VR at 5Ghz. I now need to decide if the GTX 1070 will be good enough for VR? Or sell the 1070 and get the 1080ti now?

-

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

So, some of you guys know I just finished a kaby build and I’m very happy with my overall system setup for the money spent, even if the boss paid for most of it, lol.

attachment.php?attachmentid=164049&stc=1&d=1497100515

Intel I7-7700k @ 5Ghz lol

ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500G

Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 3466MHz DDR4

Corsair HX850i 850Watt 80Plus Gold

Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 240mm cooler

ASUS 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, 144Hz, 1ms, G-SYNC

Fractal Design Define R5 Black Case

So, I really wanted to now see what 5Ghz looks like when playing DCS and join the 5Ghz club too, LOL. Wow is all I can say, what a difference Ghz make in these sims!! In 2.1 very low over the middle of Vegas, the system will hold around 60 FPS flat-out in the F-15C take-off mission, and I can turn my head quickly with track IR and is still very smooth. It really has change the flight models that I’m used to, there just much more alive now, hard to explain just how good it is. I'm also looking forward see more system optimization of their new tech by ED too for more FPS.:)

Everything is maxed out except, View distance to Ultra, Civi traffic to medium, Terrain shadow objects Flat and turn off MSAA in DCS if using Deferred Shading, until ED can fix this.

Now, this is at 1440p, 144Hz, G-Sync for reference here guy’s, I’m also still testing lower settings for larger AI missions.

Now I want to double check this is all safe, it seems safe from what I’ve read online. I don’t really want to start De-lidding unless you think it’s really necessary for a longer life expectancy?

To get to 5ghz I just loaded the 5G profile on the maximus ix hero and changed back the Ram to XMP 3466MHz, the clock of the ram and she booted fine.

I have only tested the stability in ASUS/Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for 15 minutes and got to 85C.

Doing nothing she now sits at 36C watching Corsair Link.

In DCS she goes from 60C fluctuates to around 75C, by watching Corsair Link on a second screen. Should I be able to get this cooler when using DCS? By testing other settings in the BIOS, perhaps changing voltages etc? Where is a good place you recommend to start testing or is this good enough at these temps when simming?

I’m more than happy with the speed out of this build and should be great now for VR at 5Ghz. I now need to decide if the GTX 1070 will be good enough for VR? Or sell the 1070 and get the 1080ti now?

-

If core temps are good and overall throughput Mem, GFX, I/O, if it's working don't mess with it :thumbup:

Nice build BTW, :)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Nice build congrats!

For VR, the most you can get GPU wise the better - I would say go for that 1080 Ti myself. It would compliment the rest of your rig nicely.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi, it's been a while for me since I can put msaa and deferred shading together.

In fact with a screen (1080p) I put everything on and max and in middle of Vegas fps are above 75 (55-60 in external view due to Bokeh FOV).

I don't use deferred shading in VR because it's a too big fps impact - but if so it also works with 4x smaa without trouble (and fps are 45 ASW on most of time with high gpu usage like 90%)

Since my 1080Ti is far from "overkill" (never seen this been true for anything in PC world) I can't advise you to take a lower gpu ^^

Nice !

Check your Volts, Asus usually sets it higher than need to be. You may save some °C here and there ;)

Can you list your Voltages maybe. I am eager to see your VCC-IO and VCC-SA values as you are also running fast RAM with 5G.

The temps so far seem really good !

Try prime-95-avx ( the newest one at mersenne.org ), it pushes mine to 100°C at 1.330V !

Have a finger&mouse on the STOP button ! hehe

For VR I dunno, but for your 1440p Gsyncer that 1070 is PLENTY. Even my 980GTX with only 4GB is so smooth and fast that I dont see any need to upgrade my card yet. For VR I would personally wait for the 2nd or even 3rd gen and a 13xx Nvidia GPU, 3 generations from now.

Gsync and 5GHz are a good combo :pilotfly:

...and btw: yes, same temps in DCS as you have @ 5G

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

For VR I dunno, but for your 1440p Gsyncer that 1070 is PLENTY. Even my 980GTX with only 4GB is so smooth and fast that I dont see any need to upgrade my card yet. For VR I would personally wait for the 2nd or even 3rd gen and a 13xx Nvidia GPU, 3 generations from now.

Naw, one could always say " wait for next generation it will be better". Same with CPU, same with GPU, etc etc....

Just beware, once you go VR there is no going back lol. I was so concerned when I decided to take the plunge, I did this on Jan 15th and am so glad I did, I have had more fun in PC gaming I think than I ever have in all the years I have been doing this. In fact I spend way more time now doing so than I ever did before. Course I am recently retired and that helps as well.:thumbup:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Here are some quick pics of the bios attached.

BitMaster, I'm also considering your advice here, if you missed it on my next build and adding the 7cm hot rod radiator lol.:lol:

What water pump do you use on your system?

fanshroudshow.jpg

bios1.thumb.jpg.861986695f34dcace30abd582447c166.jpg

bios2.thumb.jpg.3a224ae5aad70228a9a20008edbac183.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Congrats mate on your build. Well balanced and powerful system. I would stick with the 1070 for a while. For 1440p gaming I'm not really sure if you need a 1080Ti.

And as Bit said I would manually change the voltage. The auto overclock features by motherboard vendors tend to err on the side of overkill when it comes to voltage. Reducing the voltage while still ensuring stability will reduce your temps a bit.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

Very nice result! Congrats for your bult!

I am struggling with CH sticks at this moment.

Keep the posts coming!

All the best,

Sydy

Sydy,

I use CH gear and just installed it back on my new system with no problems under win 10 64 bit.

Are you using the latest version of CH manager? 4.55a. I use CH manager it in mapped mode in win 10 and have many profiles, works very well. In DCS I don’t have to map anything for any aircraft, except for the main axis and I like to map fire buttons too in DCS so they are DX command buttons, not keyboard commands.

It’s good this way, it’ makes things very quick and easy to setup, I will never lose the setup for any aircraft, unless ED or third parties decide to move keyboard commands around, which I don’t see happening anytime soon.

Upgrades on new motherboard

I flashed the bios to Version 0906 to get this out of the way, there are three upgrades from my release date and your bios can be found at the link below for the ASUS Formula, seems to be the same bios version as my ASUS hero, I also installed the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, from the Utility section from the link below for quick tuning and testing.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-FORMULA/HelpDesk_Download/

Overclocking

The first thing I setup was Corsair Link in win 10, this lets me watch the temps, set custom water pump rpm speeds and radiator fans profiles. It looks like the Kraken X62 has something similar to this, have you got this all setup in win 10 to watch the temps and control the pump and fans?

After setting that up, the overclock I tried was the EZ tuning wizard in the ASUS bios. You just pick the water pump option and she went straight to 4.8 GHz.

The gamers profile seems to be the similar; this was set by loading the profile under the menu (Extreme Tweaker – Overclocking Presets - gamers Overclock)

Both times I had to re set the RAM to XMP 3466 Mhz as these profiles set them back to the standard settings.

I tested these setting one at a time first, using the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, this is found under the utilities section where you can download your bios. I quickly ran the cpu stress test for 10 minutes, then tried the setting in DCS, keeping an eye on the temps using Corsair Link on a second monitor.

I tested 4.9 GHz on the gamers bios profile in windows, by just bumping the modifier up in Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility to x49 and then cpu stress tested some more to watch temps. I also use the Extreme Tuning Utility to drop the clock to 45x or 4.5GHz to drop the temps down when not in DCS or just doing other things etc. You can set profiles up in this desktop utility also.

The profile I’m using now under the bios Overclocking Presets, is the 5G and I’m looking to just change a few settings over to manual control to make it a little more optimized for the 5 GHz and hopefully help with a few temps. I’m happy hitting 5 at these temps, not looking for any more for now, lol. It is a little addictive, especially after you see just how good things run in these sim. Highly recommend you Overclock!

Haven’t tried flying on a different monitor with no G-Sync, not sure if I really want to. 5 GHz + G-Sync + 144Hz is magic for these flight models.

VR

Well I’m sort of stuck with this VR thing, on one side I do want to really get into it, the problem is, the tech is not quite there yet for speed and resolution to be the new standard must have item.

I have tried it and the Immersion is great for just flying around only and small combat with labels on, but it has nothing on the res and speed of 144Hz G-Synced.

As BitMaster has said, and I do agree to an extent that VR needs a generation or two? to be real main stream and the GPU’s to follow suit and will happen, no doubt. I would jump straight in now if VR was around 1080P @ FPS? and DCS was now at 2.5 and polished / optimized and settled in some.

I think I’m happy for now and I will keep an eye on where we are when DCS is fully merged and somewhat stable at 2.5.

-

Edited by David OC

Hi David OC,

Pretty nice walk through! Thanks a lot.

The only thing I didn't do was the BIOS update. I remember mine was from march this year, I will double check for 906.

I really don't know how win 10 is "understanding" the Control Manager renaming the HIDs, but I saw in CH-Hangar it is a widespreade desease... :-( Happens.

I just have to tweak DRAM now and solve this CH problem. Let's see!

Tks a lot for your time!

All the best,

Sydy

Settings so far, most were set by the ASUS AI Suite III optimization run through and they seem pretty good. Bumped down OC Voltage some.

First run of Prime

attachment.php?attachmentid=164189&stc=1&d=1497350965

prime95_1.thumb.jpg.c9890cc6b62650c2c60ba69129e01cc3.jpg

Edited by David OC

Oh Asus still use the hex pattern/design with the AI Suite. I remember using AI suite to monitor my Core 2 Duo E-6600 system settings and overclock 10 years ago. Oh just realised it's the Corsair Link software with the hex pattern. I take that back Asus.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

Very nice !!!

It seems that the ROG-Hero is superior to mine, at least from what I see. It needs less juice on SA and IO. My RAM is 1 step faster but if that justifies the extra 0.15-0.20v more is disputable, I think yours would run with less even with my RAM.

Where are your "Digi+ VRM" values at ? Asus Auto-OC raised those on mine as well and I needed them even higher to stabilize !

Your temps are very nice btw ! Which version of prime are you running ? 26.6b3 without AVX or the newest one ? The temp difference is like day & night between those 2 main version due to the AVX instruction set.

Now check how far up it can really go. I am able to play DCS at 5.1 and it even did it a "few" times with 5.2G, but that is the max it would accept without instant error, regardless of DRAM settings. I had up to 1.45v tested on the core but that didnt help.

Knowing that 5.1 works OK and 5.2 is bootable and usable for light tasks makes me feel good when I dial in 5G. There is some headroom left that I leave untouched :)

Very nice die ! The temp makes me jealous ! ( if yours is with AVX ! )

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I just downloaded Prime 28.10 form the site you mentioned and run the test (Torture / Blend)

She seems to be better for temp in sim too for some reason? Around the 70C or just over sometimes.

Bumped up the GPU just a little, that's all.

Thank you for the help and recommendations here and in the other thread BitMaster, and everyone else too for there recommendations.:thumbup:

Really very happy how it runs in sim now with the 5G, 1070 and G-Sync, real nice, better than expected.:thumbup:

Should only get better I hope when ED does more optimizing/merge.

I just downloaded Prime 28.10 form the site you mentioned and run the test (Torture / Blend)

She seems to be better for temp in sim too for some reason? Around the 70C or just over sometimes.

Bumped up the GPU just a little, that's all.

Thank you for the help and recommendations here and in the other thread BitMaster, and everyone else too for there recommendations.:thumbup:

Really very happy how it runs in sim now with the 5G, 1070 and G-Sync, real nice, better than expected.:thumbup:

Should only get better I hope when ED does more optimizing/merge.

You're always welcome if you need help :)

• 2 months later...

Dont leave the voltages in "auto". Asus put them way above needed. I had to lower it with offset by -0.08 when reaching 4.5 on all cores.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

After some serious number crunching at 100% load on CPU and GPU for a few weeks now and some new Bios I have again fine tuned my settings. Might be of Interest for you too.

The values in my sig for vCore ( 1.330v ; PhaseControl; LLC; and max Ampere allowed; ALL TO BE FOUND IN DIGI-VRM ! ) are ONLY needed to pass the hardest of the tests meanwhile, while also raising the temps CONSIDERABLY above good&bad.

For 5G with DCS and everyday use I use "default" Digi-VRM values ( LLC = 2 on default ) and 1.300v on vCore. This drops temps by ~15°C.

Lowering LLC from 2nd highest value to 2nd lowest is the biggest temp drop for me.

You might wanna check Asus website for a new Bios for your board as well, I think the newer Bios' made it possible, also my RAM "behaves" better when I oc it to 3733 or 3866.

Tbh, for my daily and sometimes 24/7 number crunching for the [H]ard|OCP team I DOWNCLOCK my rig to 4.2G on all cores and put the GPU to a modest 1150MHz setting.

It would be stupid to burn the machine in full-hardcore-oc for days and days in 24/7 with NFS@Home, MilkyWay or any other Boinc/Formula project.

Bottom line, check LLC if you can set it lower if yours is above default for 5G stresstesting.

Nice !

Check your Volts, Asus usually sets it higher than need to be. You may save some °C here and there ;)

Can you list your Voltages maybe. I am eager to see your VCC-IO and VCC-SA values as you are also running fast RAM with 5G.

The temps so far seem really good !

Try prime-95-avx ( the newest one at mersenne.org ), it pushes mine to 100°C at 1.330V !

Have a finger&mouse on the STOP button ! hehe

Gsync and 5GHz are a good combo :pilotfly:

...and btw: yes, same temps in DCS as you have @ 5G

VR is such a transformational product that I wouldn't wait for Gen 2. IT's one product worth jumping in at CV1 level. I can't think of anything in past computing history that made this much of a difference. Not even going from mono to VGA/EVGA. TIR doesn't even come close to it either.

And I also went to 5GHz (5.1, I think) but then throttled it back to 4.8 (I think). I have the hybrid 1080 and Thermaltake AIO water cooler for the CPU. Maybe I'll try bumping it up again.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I haven't tinkered with the system for a while now, I have three setups in ASUS AI Suite, 4.8 / 5.0 / 5.1, the last one is a bit unstable and needs more work. Even at 4.8 it's still a very good system for DCS.

Yes, I have jumped the gun and ordered the Rift while it's on special, otherwise I would have perhaps waited for next gen VR and graphics cards. Keen to have a go at some other VR games too, not just DCS. I know a few others that haven't tried VR, so it will be fun setting it up for others to try when having them over for a BBQ, should be a good laugh too.

I was trying out one of the driving games, the Irace one, really want to try the rift in this sim too, using my current setup with G Sync monitor, the frames are locked at the 144fps. Very very nice to drive.

I'll See how the 1070 / 5GHz handles VR, otherwise might have to sell the 1070 and grab the 1080ti soon.

Edited by David OC

Car games are AWESOME in VR. It's just so much easier when you're sitting in the car as opposed to watching it on a 2D monitor.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1