2.1: (Much) better FPS in both NTTR and Normandy

Bearfoot

Is it just me that is ok with 45fps and ASW? Density at 1.5 and i find it just fine - no motion / VR sickness and plenty smooth to fly around the trees.

I just can't wait to start using the terrain / trees properly against the AAA in the helos...

90Fps would be great but I am managing with 45...

I can "live with" 45 ASW as a constant, but would much prefer to at least get 90 some of the time where ASW was not in effect. The gun-sight in the Spit flashes crazily, and planes blur pretty bad when flying past.

But also in my case, with any eye candy to speak of, it will drop below 45 fps over Normandy which gives stutter - and in VR stutter is not so good experience.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I agree with the title. I have just flown from England to Normandy and then flown around at treetop level before finally landing, in an Su-25.

Apart from a split-second 'stop' every 15 seconds or so - which didn't overly bother me and was probably textures loading - I had no issues at all with performance.

The filtering on the trees doesn't look great - something similar to what you get in things like ArmA, with a sort of speckling effect - but I'm hoping that will be at least reduced in future.

After two days of disastrous frustration not even getting off the ground in the Stang and Spit, I was left smiling this evening.

I recorded the flight (in 3D SBS) and it will be on YouTube tomorrow.

I have an i5 4690k at 4.3GHz on an Asus Z97-P with 16GB 2133MHz DDR3 and a GTX1060 6GB. DCSW 2.1 is installed on a brand new old-spec SATA drive, too! Oh, and an Oculus Rift :)

PS: Sorry, I forgot: Settings are default "VR" but with shadows on 'Flat'

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

When you fly nap of the earth in a helo ASW kicking in like when making an abrupt turn, as you do flying NOE, is a deal breaker.

ASW doesn't hurt you as much flying high and very little changing.

Who flies high in a helo? :)

My point was the majority of people saying that 45fps with ASW isnt bad are wing pukes :)

No wing puke here before throwing names around think before you speak. Have no issues with locking asw on at 45fps and keep it their down low. What really helped me was going from pixel density 2.0 to 1.5

Cheers. :thumbup:

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

This video also shows that fixed wing flying = high altitude and nothing much changing is a load of tosh:

Will be uploading a helicopter sortie soon. Well, a few, actually, in Ka-50, Mi-8, UH-1 and Gazelle :thumbup:

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Find out all about it (lots to read if you're so inclined) on the official Oculus forum:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

Kneeboard Guides

Performance certainly dropped for me, compared to 2.0.5.

What made it flyable again for me in VR was to reduce the pixel density to 0.8 - terrible, I know. But now I can at least fly with FPS close to 45.

I have an i7 4790K CPU, 16GB RAM and a GTX 1070, CV1.

No wing puke here before throwing names around think before you speak. Have no issues with locking asw on at 45fps and keep it their down low. What really helped me was going from pixel density 2.0 to 1.5

Cheers. :thumbup:

Well, I fly both so am I a half a puke..just an upchuck? :megalol:

I have tweaked, turned every thing I can. The best I can get in VR is 20 FPS High,alt, low at any setting. I can turn all the eye candy up..20fps. All low.. 20 fps, Not vomit inducing and playable as long as not too much is going on. In 2d with TIR I can get 60 to 70 FPS.

I run AMD 8320,XFX R480 8 gig, 16 gig ram on a SSD so lower end rig, but it works. That's the best I can get until a patch and yes I know its about time for more ram and a cpu upgrade.

I wish I could get 45 in VR on this map.

BSD Discord , BSD Website

If it doesn't hover, it just sucks and blows

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I have heard it so often, but just don't understand it: why do you need 45 or even 90FPS in the VR? I have both a screen and a CV1, and anything above 30 FPS appears smooth to me. I don't see any difference between a screen and VR in terms of needing twice more FPS in VR, these statements just puzzle me... That is as long as you turn this damn ASW off, with ASW it becomes unplayable once it drops below 45 FPS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

I have heard it so often, but just don't understand it: why do you need 45 or even 90FPS in the VR? I have both a screen and a CV1, and anything above 30 FPS appears smooth to me. I don't see any difference between a screen and VR in terms of needing twice more FPS in VR, these statements just puzzle me... That is as long as you turn this damn ASW off, with ASW it becomes unplayable once it drops below 45 FPS.

Then maybe you should google the topic and learn about it?

• ED Team
...this post its a joke and misleading to developers...performance is worse in 2.1 and needs looking into asap!!

it varies for different users on different machines.

ED has been listening to all feedback and tweaks have been made, I am already seeing differences on our internal build we are currently testing.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

it varies for different users on different machines.

ED has been listening to all feedback and tweaks have been made, I am already seeing differences on our internal build we are currently testing.

:thumbup:

Very good to hear thanks!!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

eSo, here is where things get crazy.

I switched on the deferred shading. And, just to get things a little heavier, upped the shadows, MSAA, and anisotropic filtering. Sure enough, FPS dropped to to 35-40, sometimes touching 45 (ASW on).

Ok, well and good.

Switch everything back.

Not seeing my 90 FPS anymore over Normandy! With ASW off, see that I'm getting 60-70 FPS, sometimes touching 90. But with ASW, steady 45 FPS, over land at least (sea gives me 90). Switch everything to the minimum. Same. 45 FPS easy, no matter where I am over land, high or low, but no more of that sweet 90 I had before. NTTR still gives me 90.

What gives?? Is it possible that switching deferred shading on somehow changes things --- maybe in some pre-compiled graphics/images --- from which there is no going back, even after it is switched off? I can live with the 45 FPS for now, and am looking forward to optimizations, but the logic of what I am seeing befuddles me ...

Hi Buddy

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3155265&postcount=3

I think it is related, if so try to go back and forth between deffered and otherwise

• Like 1

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Holy crap!!

This works!

BACK TO 90 FPS OVER NORMANDY!!

This should be part of a FAQ/sticky, otherwise folks experimenting with different settings may not realize that their changes may not necessarily be reflected in the performance due to reliance on the cached shaders!

I should note that I first tried deleting just the metashaders folder, and saw no difference. Then I deleted the whole ``~/Saved Games/DCS.openalpha/`` folder. And still no difference. And then I realized that I had SteamVR up and running. Closed that down. And voila! 90 FPS!

Due to my clumsiness in forgetting about the SteamVR being on, I cannot pin down whether deleting just the ``metashaders`` subdirectory was sufficient or not, as the SteamVR may have been intefering with this result. But deleting the entire ``~/Saved Games/DCS.openalpha/`` folder definitely works! This is a major pain, though, because deleting this means ALL your options (graphics, gameplay, various special options, etc.), your missions/campagins, your login, etc. all have to be reset, redone, or otherwise copied over. So it would be great if just the metashaders removal is sufficient to clear the cache. In the future, perhaps a dedicated utility or even an option inside DCS to do this would be nice.

Thanks to Cibit and Accipiter etc. for exploring and sharing this!

P.S.A: make sure your SteamVR is off/quit/closed in you are using Oculus Rift! MAJOR hit in performance ...

Edited by Bearfoot

Tested, but no luck for me :( It worked very well the first time with steady 45fps until I tweak the pixel density (from default 1.0 to 1.5), 30fps again. Lets see other users...

Anyway, I manage to find and delete a lot of flight tracks that are saved from MP sessions (21GB in Caucasus!), so it was a good discovery :)

Edited by nachomaga

So I finally got to try Normandy today, only one word.. Incredible.

After reading the issues people were having I went for 1.5 density and the pre-set VR, it looked smooth as silk when flying around then I turned the FPS counter on... Only 23 fps!!!

Not sure if it is because I am tired or summit but it sure looks higher than 23 fps.

Not the best GPU here 780, waiting for the next gen... However I was definitely getting better fps above Nevada city 45-55 IIRC & 60-90 everywhere else in NTTR.

Anyway I am sure it will improve :)

Thanks ED, gotta say it again INCREDIBLE

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit