Normady VR Performance

Hook47

Hey guys,

ED, thanks for the awesome release! As a VR User I wanted to put up a thread for Vive and Rift users to discuss performance. I am currently running an I7 with a Mobile 1070 chipset, and away from my main rig at home which is a 1080, however I do have low frames and constant ASW in Normandy using certain modules. More optimized or basic modules tend to get better frames, but still on the low end compared to NTTR and 1.5. I have my settings at the VR present with flat shadows ON. How are the other VR users fairing? Is this already on EDs radar?

Thanks

Mine is not too good. I lowered all my settings down to about the bare minimum, and still can only maintain ASW of 45 fps when flying over Normandy. Only time I see 90 fps is when over the water. Add much in the way of eye candy and it drops way below the 45 fps required for ASW and induces stuttering.

Using the Rift with an I-7 4820K @ 4.50 GHz and EVGA GTX 1080 FTW @ 2 GHz, all my testing so far over Normandy in the Spitfire Instant Action take off mission.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks for reporting in- I noticed especially bad performance in the Spitfire, were you able to test and others?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

No just the Spit so far.

Knowing I am relegated to the 45 fps ASW I am slowly adding some eye candy back in, when it gets to where I start seeing drops below 45 fps I will back that off and leave it there for now I guess.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Understandable, I read in another thread MSAA needs to be completely off with deferred lighting on, or a serious hit in FPS results. Will be testing that next and reporting in

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Yeah I have not been running with deferred lighting, and have recently set MSAA and AF to 0, and have set AA and AF in Nividia Control Panel - think it helped a little...

Don B

HTC Vive - huge performance issues

Hello,

today I played DCS 2.1 Normandy map on my HTC Vive for the very first time. It was a desaster. The performance was very bad, bascially this game was not playable at all. I used the same settings which I use with DCS v1.5 and which are usually fine, but in v2.1 these settings doesn't work. Even with low quality settings the performance is a nightmare.

Not sure how to solve this issue. It think this is an issue of DCS and not of my hardware, because when I turn on "frame drop notification" no message is displayed, which means that grafik performance was fine (I guess).

My hardware:

HTC Vive

Windows 10 (64-bit)

i7-6700 CPU 3.40GHz

16 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

I appreciate any kind of help how to solve this issue.

I'm looking forward for your answers.

Best regards,

enhenzer

Hello enhenzer,Yes DCS is well aware of the bugs present in 2.1,It is Alpha so there will be bugs,This also happened with a new build on the NTTR Map last year,it was totally unplayable in VR but with bug reports and input DCS got it squared away ;) Have a look at Wags post in **Updates** section for some tips on making it playable in VR:thumbup:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3150975#post3150975

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Recommended Settings

BTW, what settings you would recommend for the following hardware:

HTC Vive

Windows 10 (64-bit)

i7-6700 CPU 3.40GHz

16 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

SSD drive

Looking forward foru your recommendations.

Best regards,

enhenzer

I will open a new thread to check if someone else can help. Maybe a DCS guy can give an recommendation based on his experience.

Are you aware there are a large number of threads about this very topic already?

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...