A-10A Maverick Air to Air Usage

I've never tried it on the A-10A. The datalink should have nothing to do with you firing on an aircraft though. As long as you can lock the mav onto the aircraft you should be fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the responses. So far I've tested all the Mac's (except the training versions) to lock onto a Su-17. The Mavericks were unable to lock it even when it was in afterburner. I'm assuming that you two are indeed referring to the 65D model.

The A-10A can lock slow moving targets with it's Mav's. Slow or hovering Helo's and some planes on short final are very susceptible. Can't lock onto fast moving aircraft.

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

The A-10A can lock slow moving targets with it's Mav's. Slow or hovering Helo's and some planes on short final are very susceptible. Can't lock onto fast moving aircraft.

How fast would you define "fast"? I recall the Su-17 traveling at around 240km/h as it was at a very nose high angle.

How fast would you define "fast"? I recall the Su-17 traveling at around 240km/h as it was at a very nose high angle.

I've never locked anything, helo or plane, going more than around 150km/h. This means a helo going less than top speed or hovering, or a plane close to landing.

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

From what I've seen with the new FM of the maverick it seems like they've actually modeled seeker angular tracking rate. So anything over a certain LOS-rate can't be tracked by the sensor. This means that you could theoretically kill a fighter flying Mach 1, if he is coming straight at you (so slow LOS-rate).

Yes, A-10A can use Mavericks. Hotel models will lock onto CONTRAST in terms of visible spectrum IIRC, and Delta models will lock onto INFRARED contrast (a tank on the ground which is hotter than the ground). Locking up aircraft is difficult because the sensor is limited to a speed which the target is moving at, or angular speed. Mavericks are an air-to-ground missile so you shouldn't really ever use it for shooting at airplanes.

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

Thank you all for the help. I've managed to lock a heli in my free time and destroy it. An unrelated question here, one that might seem very weird. The A-10 obviously carries ECM pods, being the AN/ALQ-131 and AN/ALQ-184. Would it be beneficial to carry both pods on the two outermost pylons or does DCS only model the basic functionality of ECM?

A good DCS ECM pod discussion is going on here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=187810

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...