Eextremely blurry cockpit text/labels with Oculus

WisMan

I recently got an Oculus Rift and have been flying it the past few days. It provides amazing immersion and really makes situational awareness much easier. I am loving it.

I have a PC that is a bit below specs - GTX 970, i7-920 (OC @ 4 Ghz), 16 Gigs Ram, Windows 10. The FPS is marginal on low settings, but has been more than enough to play without issues. I have been playing on DCS 1.5.

The issue I am having is the text seems to be blurry to the point of being unable to read no matter what setting i have my textures on. Even when i put my textures on High, my FPS drops quite a bit, but the text is still much to blurry to read. For example the up front controller on the A10 is completely illegible no matter what texture settings i pick. I had expected clarity to go up and fps to go down with increasing texture setting. That doesn't seem to be the case.

I have a friend that has a Oculus and plays DCS and his text is much clearer, granted he has a GTX 1080. Does the quality of the GPU really have a major effect on the clarity or do i have some other problem possibly with my settings? I had assumed that the clarity would be independent of the graphics card, but would have a major effect on the FPS.

Does anyone have experience with a GTX 970 that has been able to get legible text on the cockpit?

I don't have a 970, I have a 1080. I had and still have to a lessor degree even after installing HD textures and turning up the Pixel Density setting some degree of blurriness. So I like many map the VRzoom to my HOTAS. It's very important that you fine tune the horizontal and vertical pixels before using your OR and always mount your OR to your head in the exact same way all the time. The slightest height adjustment on your face for example will affect the clarity.

Edited by fitness88

I don't have a 970, I have a 1080. I had and still have to a lessor degree blurriness that I've found annoying. Even with installing HD textures and turning up the Pixel Density setting there will always be to some degree blurriness. So I like many map the VRzoom to my HOTAS.

I didn't mention it in my original post, but i do have the VR zoom bound to my Hotas, but zooming in doesn't make it any clearer. The blurry white symbol that is suppose to be text just gets larger and still completely unreadable. Same when i lean forward to get a closer look at it.

When i use other programs outside of DCS the text is a bit blurry (definitely not the crisp text we get accustom to with monitors) but its more then adequate to be able to read.

I have the buttons on the A10C mostly memorized so its not the end of the world, but trying to learn a new plane (Mirage) it has been a major inconvenience.

I didn't mention it in my original post, but i do have the VR zoom bound to my Hotas, but zooming in doesn't make it any clearer. The blurry white symbol that is suppose to be text just gets larger and still completely unreadable. Same when i lean forward to get a closer look at it.

When i use other programs outside of DCS the text is a bit blurry (definitely not the crisp text we get accustom to with monitors) but its more then adequate to be able to read.

I have the buttons on the A10C mostly memorized so its not the end of the world, but trying to learn a new plane (Mirage) it has been a major inconvenience.

OK now I understand, you have high textures enabled and even with VRzoom you can't see clearly . You should be able to see the writing in the cockpit clear with VRzoom. Try turning on the white cockpit light it helped me a bit. I too have just started with M-2000C and I've gone to the English cockpit which really helped me but not if you can't read it.

I don't think your graphics card would be causing this issue. Remember to calibrate the OR to your eyes and keep the OR always on the same place on your head.

What's your PD setting?

• Like 1

OK now I understand, you have high textures enabled and even with VRzoom you can't see clearly . You should be able to see the writing in the cockpit clear with VRzoom. Try turning on the white cockpit light it helped me a bit. I too have just started with M-2000C and I've gone to the English cockpit which really helped me but not if you can't read it.

I don't think your graphics card would be causing this issue. Remember to calibrate the OR to your eyes and keep the OR always on the same place on your head.

What's your PD setting?

I have tried PD at 1.5. I have tried 2.0, but didn't correct the issue.

I definitely noticed that the the placement can make a huge difference when using the outside programs like Virtual Desktop,but it seems no amount of fine tuning the placement or lens spacing seems to clear up the cockpit text. The HUD text is very clear so it just seems to me to be a texture issue.

I have tried PD at 1.5. I have tried 2.0, but didn't correct the issue.

I definitely noticed that the the placement can make a huge difference when using the outside programs like Virtual Desktop,but it seems no amount of fine tuning the placement or lens spacing seems to clear up the cockpit text. The HUD text is very clear so it just seems to me to be a texture issue.

Yes it seems that way for you, as you say it's specific to the cockpit in the M-2000C. Which I don't have in the M-2000C.

What about other cockpits can you see more clearly?

Also PD sweet spot seems to be 1.5-1.7.

Edited by fitness88

I am sure you will find this mod helps.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=172910

• Like 1

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The M2k is particularly difficult as the buttons are quite small in comparison to say the A10c. I have found that while learning the module VR zoom has been a must. I have it bound to the pinkie lever on my TMWH stick for all modules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The M2k is particularly difficult as the buttons are quite small in comparison to say the A10c. I have found that while learning the module VR zoom has been a must. I have it bound to the pinkie lever on my TMWH stick for all modules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The buttons are small and the writing even smaller.

I am sure you will find this mod helps.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=172910

That is extremely helpful. Thank you!

I have it bound to the lever as well. I find the zoom to be very nauseating when I'm using it to lock at stuff inside the cockpit. Works great for A10 gun runs though. It makes everything very jerky when zoomed in. Almost certainly due to my barely adequate CPU.

I find the zoom to be very nauseating ....

Wow really? You must really struggle with VR in general then if you find that makes you queasy :puke:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow really? You must really struggle with VR in general then if you find that makes you queasy :puke:

As someone that has absolute zero issues with VR and uses VR for an hour+ a day for the past 5+ months... The zoom is extremely nauseating.

Its a focal length change which is what makes it jarring.

And for me personally its to much zoom. Really wish it were configurable through the UI.

As someone that has absolute zero issues with VR and uses VR for an hour+ a day for the past 5+ months... The zoom is extremely nauseating.

Its a focal length change which is what makes it jarring.

And for me personally its to much zoom. Really wish it were configurable through the UI.

Interesting - I think it is a little 'weird', especially how the instruments go 'flat' when zoomed. But zero pangs of nausea using it. I do feel a little nausea with things like rapid stops when using smooth locomotion etc.

But I agree, customising the level of zoom and maybe speed would be really nice!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had the same problem, main reason I was not happy with vr. Not settings related more of a problems with your vision, had a friend try it out and he said he could see it clearly.

I Was previously on a 4K monitor so I just couldn't with the trade off.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]