Interdiction Mission

R1Lawsy

Hey,

Anyone else getting smashed over the target area in the interdiction mission? I pretty much do exactly what WAGS does except he lives ;)

Seriously though i stay really low and really fast, got the piper over the target, just about to release so i can break and the AAA always seems to manage to take me down...

I can't go lower or faster i dont think...

Any tips appreciated...

thanks

James

Well I ran it yesterday was killed by a Shilka.. seems to be a tough mission..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Same here, doesn't matter how fast i fly, those shilkas take me down all the time.

Loaded the mission in mission editor and found that all AAA are set on average skill, ence it's just my lack of SA while flying the Viggen.

Have you guys tried changing the direction you approach the target from?

Since there are some directions where you will have a better chance to succeed then others.

(Terrain masking or just the Shilkas not being able to range on you before you can launch at the target and go evasive).

Did the mission 4 times.

First Time i flew according to the Waypoints going the most direct route and was punished for it.

(Nailed by Shilka just as i dropped the bombs)

Second and third i entered the target area in a more roundabout way and i got away just fine while using CCIP bombs.

And for the 4th time i did it with rockets (again not going direct path).

So did it 4 times and only got shot down the first time when i approached head on.

(and hit the target on all occasions even the one i got shot down).

So its completely possible to survive it one might just have to consider the best direction to engage from.

Edited by mattebubben

Mattebubben, changing direction to target might work and i'll try that.

Still wasnt Viggen a strike craft intended to operate in pre planned attacks while flying on a given route as low and as fast as possible?

I feel flying the Viggen a really interesting experience but i always lack decent situational awarnes due how rwr works ( when multiple radar are painting you its a mess).

I

I have flown the mission twice. The first time I was shot down. The second time I made it. I don't know exactly why, but 3 km befor the target waypoint I went higher to be able to see the target better. When I saw it I dived down. Maybe the Shilka has more problems to aim at you then cause you don't fly straight to it but with some of a curve.

Mattebubben, changing direction to target might work and i'll try that.

Still wasnt Viggen a strike craft intended to operate in pre planned attacks while flying on a given route as low and as fast as possible?

I feel flying the Viggen a really interesting experience but i always lack decent situational awarnes due how rwr works ( when multiple radar are painting you its a mess).

I

I think what the comment was is that the preplanned path to the target wasn't exactly the best. He might have changed his plan prior to launch and had better success. You can also do this on the fly with the Viggen, you don't have to come into m1 following your exact waypoints.

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have flown the mission twice. The first time I was shot down. The second time I made it. I don't know exactly why, but 3 km befor the target waypoint I went higher to be able to see the target better. When I saw it I dived down. Maybe the Shilka has more problems to aim at you then cause you don't fly straight to it but with some of a curve.

Flying straight and level at a shilka is never a good idea. Try to jynk (even so slightly) up and down or left and right. Remember the shilka has to think "where will you be when my bullets travel from the gun to the target." Once they fire, they are on a path that cannot be altered. All you have to do is change direction slightly and they will miss.

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Stay low enough that you can smell the pine sap on the trees, keep the throttle at the first or second stage afterburner, and when you reach Waypoint 4, the final turn before the target, wait a few seconds before you turn. There's a slight ridge in front of you, duck over that, hit the deck, and then turn to the waypoint 5 (or M1 if you set the CK37 properly before takeoff). This keeps a low ridge between your plane and the target (and the nearest shilka) for a short distance. The only downside is that it also means that you come in over slightly higher ground than the target, so you will be a bit high at the end of your attack run, just have to keep as low as you can.

Just stay low and use the small hills, this mission is all about using the Viggen the way it was meant fo be flown: feeling your way through small creases in the terrain that would look flat to any other aircraft.

Well I tried it again last night and was succesfull. Fly real fast in was my strategy..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2