Viggen Rotary Switch configuration + DCS

ward8124

Hi all,

The problem I'm trying to address is that I don't like having to grab the QFE rotary with the mouse and drag it all the way to the top of the screen in order to turn the dial quick enough to make a large adjustment and even then you need to do this maybe three of four times to get the desired setting.

I've created a front panel for my pit which has a two rotary switches I want to assign to the Altitude adjuster rotary in the Viggen.

The set up is a 16 detent (clicks)rotary encoder wired to a Leobodnar BBi-32 and I've set the pulse to 8ms.

I've mapped the rotary switch in DCS and done some testing and it now my rotary switch is increasing/decreasing the value of the QFE.

HOWEVER! A full revolution of the physical rotary is barely turning the dial in DCS and so now I'd need to rotate my rotary many many many many times to get anywhere near the value of QFE i'd want in DCS.

I've testing the Rotary in A10C and one indent = 1 increment in the QFE setting so that is what I'd expect in the Viggen. I've changed the pulse length in the LeoBodnar config but this hasn't had any impact.

So this leads me to ask a few questions. In the REAL Viggen when you turn the altitude adjuster a full revolution, what is the ratio to the value of Altitude e.g. 1rev = 10 QFE increments etc

Second question is how do I emulate this in DCS so that my poor rotarys don't get spun for ever trying to change a QFE by 20!

Regards to all

Ward8124

Edited by ward8124
more details

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

Oh and a very understanding wife.

Any ideas gents or should I ask for this to be moved in to the Input Output section?

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

Slow operation of the knob when bound has already been discussed, the devs seemed to be open to changing it.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Slow operation of the knob when bound has already been discussed, the devs seemed to be open to changing it.

Didn't know this mate, do you have the link so I can read up?

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I'm using rotary encoders mate sp this won't work :(

• 3 months later...

Check if bodnar support acceleration function for the encoders.

To set a threshhold if number of detents per time exceeded, then output to sim can be increased by factor. I.e faster spinning the encoder, the number of 'ticks' to the SIM increases

- - - -