Oculus Debug Tool: Pixels Per Display Pixel Override

Aries144

Still using the ODT, PD set it to 1.7 and 1.0 ingame and what a nice improvement in clarity. Also what I'm noticing is how as little as 1/8" adjustment of the Headset on your head can further make a big difference in clarity.

All this with Mustang's new terrain release and it's a new sim!

Damnit. I can't get it to work. Wait, it doesnt work with beta?

Is it possible to rollback without uninstalling all of oculus and apps?

"Hard to imagine bigger engine. its got a beautiful face and an arse built like sputnik." - Pikey AKA The Poet, on 37 Viggen.

So fitness88.....are you talking about the tray tool or the debug tool. Im getting a little confused since I used the debug tool and did not see any difference at all in pixel density. Im not running oculys in beta btw. The tray tool works fine though. Does the pixel density do the same thing in both the tray and debug tool? If thats the case I use the tray tool!

Oh and, what 1/8 inch adjustment do you mean fitness88? Just curious.

Thank you

Jozeff

I tried yesterday, but setting ingame to 1.0 and using ODT with setting 2.0 did not show any super-sampling. It seems as if the ODT setting was ignored. I did restart ther service and Oculus runtime.

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

So fitness88.....are you talking about the tray tool or the debug tool. Im getting a little confused since I used the debug tool and did not see any difference at all in pixel density. Im not running oculys in beta btw. The tray tool works fine though. Does the pixel density do the same thing in both the tray and debug tool? If thats the case I use the tray tool!

Oh and, what 1/8 inch adjustment do you mean fitness88? Just curious.

Thank you

Jozeff

I'm still using the Oculus Debug Tool and will eventually get the tray tool which will make it easier to impliment. But the order that I am now opening things is 1.ODT 2.Oculus Rift 3.DCS, with DCS set to 1.0 and after tweaking high and low with ODT/PD I stayed with 1.7. getting 70% of the time at 90FPS and 30% at 45FPS with ASW set to auto in ODT. Buildings are now really crisp and the mountains far off much clearer...I also just updated Mustang's terrain mod and it may be also helping...his mod is well worth installing.

I'm referring to the OR headset, it tends to slide down a bit and that little bit makes a big difference in the clarity especially far off.

Edited by fitness88

I tried yesterday, but setting ingame to 1.0 and using ODT with setting 2.0 did not show any super-sampling. It seems as if the ODT setting was ignored. I did restart ther service and Oculus runtime.

What order are you opening your ODT, OR, DCS?

Also I don't think PD 2.0 is beneficial, I think depending if your system can handle it 1.7 would be max. after that there's no gain that I can see. Before I went only to 1.5 but I'm getting better FPS at 1.7 using my current setup as mentioned previously.

When experimenting, I typically cross-check. E.g., use Oculus Tray Tool to set PD to 1.5, restart the service, then launch Oculus Debug Tool to confirm that sampling shows 1.5. Or vice versa.

Regardless, DCS should be launch last -- i.e., after all the fixin's and mixin's and service startin's and restartin's ...

Yes - go to settings-> Beta -> uncheck the beta option

Oculus home will Restart and "Update" the software and the driver to the stable

Thanks. Yeah read that before. The "public test channel" is not checked. But I have a "beta" text down in the left corner of home app. Do you know of any other way?

Thjanks for the help.

"Hard to imagine bigger engine. its got a beautiful face and an arse built like sputnik." - Pikey AKA The Poet, on 37 Viggen.

Thanks. Yeah read that before. The "public test channel" is not checked. But I have a "beta" text down in the left corner of home app. Do you know of any other way?

Thjanks for the help.

Checking or unchecking Public Test Channel is to volunteer for beta testing. I have it unchecked but I still have the Beta icon on the bottom of the Oculus page, I believe everyone has that. In the general tab the current version # is shown 1.13.####.

Thanks fitness. Yeah I got that. Its unchecked. Just seems confusing to always have the beta tag in the corner. I've got 1.13. version but neither OTT nor debug settings seem to affect Dcs. I also seem to be stuck in an updateloop for Oculus Home app.

I'm not really sure why it isn't working. Probably something stupid I'm forgetting.

Edited by SpeedStick
More info.

I've tested now, and there is no change in FPS nor visual quality using the tray tool in DCS contra using the built in 2x render option in DCS.

It's the same :)

Burnhard

Periferals - HP Reverb - Viper/Warthog grip on VPC WarBRD base - Virpil Mogoos T-50 Throttle - MFG Crosswind rudders - Gametrix KW 908 // HW - 7700k@4.8 - 32GB@3200 - RTX2080TI // DCS Favourites - AJS37 - SA342 - F-16C :thumbup:

I've tested now, and there is no change in FPS nor visual quality using the tray tool in DCS contra using the built in 2x render option in DCS.

It's the same :)

With DCS first set PD to 1.0 then close DCS, you then open ODT set to whatever PD you want, you make sure you have ASW in auto mode, then you open the Oculus Rift and finally DCS.

I can tell you that when PD in ODT is set to 2.0 v. 1.0 you will see a big frame rate hit...like very little 90FPS along with studder. I found my sweet spot at ODT PD of 1.7.

With thanks I found with the help from others that the order of opening the 3 programs makes all the difference.

Edited by fitness88
  • Like 1

does one need to close the ODT (after having set PD and ASW) before opening oculus rift main app ?

:pilotfly:

win 10x64 - Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero - I9 9900K@5.0GHz - Samsung 970 EVO m2 2TB - RAM Corsair 64GB DDR4 - Corsair H150i pro - Strix RTX 2080 Ti- oculus rift S and a few other goodies :joystick:

does one need to close the ODT (after having set PD and ASW) before opening oculus rift main app ?

You have to leave it open for the settings to remain in effect. You can miminize it if needed, but keep it running.

You have to leave it open for the settings to remain in effect. You can miminize it if needed, but keep it running.

The Oculus Debug Tool?

This does not seem to to be the case. E.g., I can set PD of 1.5 in the tool. Restart the Oculus service. Then quit the tool. Then even reboot if I feel like it. Then start DCS without starting the tool (or Oculus Tray Tool), and get the PD of 1.5 (cross-checked by independently launching Oculus Tray Tool if I set the PD using the Oculus Debug Tool or vice versa). That is, it seems to "take" once set, whether or not the tool is subsequently active.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I think use the Oculus Tray Tool to set the PD above, not the the debug tool. And that setting definitely persists through multiple reboot cycles, without the tray tool needing to be subsequently active. Need to check if the same holds for the debug tool alone.

Edited by Bearfoot

Actually I downloaded the Oculus Tray Tool new version 0.68.1.0...some nice features that the Oculus Debug Tool doesn't have making it worth going after!

Also as was told to me this is a fire and forget program, once set you don't have to fiddle with it anymore

Actually I downloaded the Oculus Tray Tool new version 0.68.1.0...some nice features that the Oculus Debug Tool doesn't have making it worth going after!

Also as was told to me this is a fire and forget program, once set you don't have to fiddle with it anymore

until the next oculus update... lol

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

• 3 weeks later...
Ok i tried this Debug tool last night . i can confirm its no a placebo thing , there is definitely a noticeable sharpness in the cockpit text . on top of that i can read the some of the stuff better like the Radar screen in the F15. i dont know how is it possible but it does. also i noticed that the game performance is better.

another thing, there is an option in the debug tool regarding GPU adaptive performance. what you guys set it to? i set mine to disable.

I think that DCS options PD will add some Blur etc..when it downsamples bit like NVIDIA DSR (there is option to add Blur or softening)

Debug tool just downsamples but wont soften edges etc.. thats why its more crisp.

But i cant be sure, maybe someone (ed) knows better.

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]