TERNAV and Fixes (overwrite?)

Ice_Cougar

Can TERNAV overwrite radar or visual fixes? Or does a fix (upon moving the entire navigational "polygon"/plan), over-write the coordinates that the nav system currently think its at?

So for instance, if I were to make a terrible radar fix (say my nav point is at the edge of a lake or town, and after the fix its a while 10 km away), and then fly low and let TERNAV do its business, would the INS be rectified and the nav point returns to its proper position?

Thanks!

-Ice_Cougar (Kingfisher in-game)

Excellent question!

I don't know the answer regarding whether the logic will overwrite a deviation that large, or if there is a maximum range the computer will allow a correction (to prevent potential bad updates). However, I can say that a bad fix (and therefore a bad initial DR position for calculation) will make the TERNAV computation that much more difficult, as any internal navigation system (and even celestial navigation) needs an initial position or DR in order to correct with confidence.

Honestly, 10km (5.5nm or so) isn't that bad of a distance for correcting, all things considered, but I was going with your idea of a bad position update.

My understanding is, a NAV fix overwrites what the aircraft thinks where it is at. The TERNAV only adjusts the nav polygon, but is unable to overwrite the pilot decision.

Lets say, you perform a nav fix on a land mark. The nav polygon adjusts accordingly. But you were off by a few dozent or so meters - this will be detected (after some time) by the TERNAV and further adjusts the nav polygon. TERNAV will recognize the height profile around the aircraft, if the nav fix was only a bit off.

But if your nav fix was completely off, the TERNAV data will be completely different from the real situation. TERNAV then goes into one of those reduced-precission modes.

TERNAV is like a microscope. If you look at dirt with a microscope, would you be able to tell where on the crop field you are standing? :-)

Okay I see. I was curious about this for doing radar fixes on stationary boats when over the Black sea and not being able to get TERNAV updates, then after the anti-shipping mission is done, getting feet-dry and whether TERNAV would work off of your (possibly inaccurate fixes), bring your waypoints back to where they were...

Would definitely be interesting to test this over a map with islands potentially. Getting possibly TERNAV fixes over a small island or performing visual/radar fixes on those would be pretty cool.

Thanks for the replies guys ;)