Need a new aircraft and suggestions

AvgWhiteGuy

I've been flying the A-10C for a while now and I'm interested in a new plane to get that jet jockey 'turn & burn' feeling. I still love the A-10C and will continue flying it; I think flying something new will give me a new perspective on the whole battle space.

I was hoping some of you that may have expanded your inventory might make suggestions as to which A/C to try out now. I only fly solo mission for now; my skill set isn't up to squadron level yet and I'm not sure I'm mentally ready for the top of the line fighters and dogfights (bad eyes).

Also want something that has decent documentation and English cockpit layout. Most importantly, I'm looking for something that will utilize some/most/all of my current hardware as below:

USB Hardware:

TrackIR5

TM HOTAS Stick & THrottle

TM Cougar MFCD

Saitek Cessena Footpedals

Razer Orbweaver keypad

DCS Software:

DCS World

DCS World 2 (NTTR)

Budget: under $85 million, delivered with a bunch of bombs!!!

Appreciate your suggestions and opinions, don't hesitate to comment on your experiences, or any other tidbits of information.

Thanks in advance

Edited by AvgWhiteGuy

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

I don't think there's anything out there that would tick all your boxes.

M-2000C would be my first suggestion, but the manual hasn't been updated for a long time and the cockpit is in French. Not a big issue as the layout is pretty straightforward, maybe there are English cockpit mods but I didn't feel the need to search for them. It comes with very good tutorials and campaign.

Viggen - likewise, manual is heavy WIP and cockpit in Swedish. English is coming in the future. An attack airplane like A-10C, but here the similarities end. It has very different mission profile compared to A-10.

F-5E - much simpler airframe, not much SP content included and the DLC campaigns require Nevada map.

MiG-21 - another interesting option if you're looking for something older and with a lots of switches.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Thanks Mike, that was what I was afraid of....not much with Eng cockpit. Are you familiar with hardware requirements for any of the helos? I could definitely do that if I don't need to spend more for cockpit controls.

Can someone tell me (others) where we can find the info & details of the various A/C cockpit languages & documentation?

Edited by AvgWhiteGuy

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

I'd say the Mirage is the best choice, though the cockpit labels are hard to read even with 20/20 vision. An English cockpit mod is already available, and it is pretty straightforward to get started. The nav alignment is the hardest part, but I believe you can override that too.

The manual is a drawback right now, but there are some good training missions, and a campaign is available too.

The other choice would be the AJS-37 Viggen, which is the latest addition to the inventory. It has a much clearer cockpit layout for someone with limited vision, and again, although it is in Swedish, there is an English cockpit mod available already. The only real drawback is the fact that it is an older design, with less advanced avionics, and only really has a secondary air to air role. It turns and burns with the best of them though, particularly at low level.

Don't let the lack of English cockpit intimidate you :). I don't speak neither French nor Swedish (English is also foreign language to me), but that didn't stop me from enjoying M2000 and Viggen. Mig-21 does come with the English cockpit, Viggen will have one too. Not sure about M2000, there are probably some mods.

Manuals for the WIP/early access modules are not yet completed, but for me they were good enough to learn those planes, with some help from Chuck's guides and youtube tutorials.

I'm not sure if you are interested in them, or if you may have them,but

since no one has mentioned it, Flaming cliffs is a deal and I think its on sale at the moment with viggen in a bundle. It has 5 or more a/c, the only thing is the cockpit is not "clickable" but it comes with a lot of content and campains included. I still play it at times and still have loads of fun F-15 and su27 and 33 are awesome and the Russian birds have English cockpits avialible. I also have and can highly recommend AJS-37 Viggen you wont be disappointed tho there have been a few issues with the latest patch that they are working on

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would recommend the Viggen if you're in to strikers :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hey! I'd recommend M-2000C. Being an A-10C guy myself, this was the first different kind of airframe I started to fly and I really love it. It still has quite a lot of A-G pounding capabilities and is a great dogfighter.

If you are a solo (singleplayer) flyer go for the M2000C. Features one of the best campaigns I've ever played. ;)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

@Andy1966......re: vote for Viggen

What do you mean when you wrote 'the only thing is the cockpit is not "clickable"'

@Habu_69...re:Falcon BMS 4.33

I don't see that listed in the available airframe with DCS. If it doesn't run on DCS i"m not interested right now. I see too much potential in what can be done with the whole series with the airframes available and the capabilities of the Mission Editor. Don't want to change horses in the middle of the race and I really want to learn to build missions (since I think I suck as a pilot). There is so much untapped knowledge in DCS A-10C alone it could keep me busy for a while. But thanks for the suggestion...all are valid.

Edited by AvgWhiteGuy
clarity

What do you mean when you wrote 'the only thing is the cockpit is not "clickable"'

He is talking about the "Flaming Cliffs 3" module. Simplified avionics and non-clickable cockpits for the planes contained in the module. Still, highly recommended anyway.

Most of the modules (apart from the Mig29 and Su33) feature great flight models.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

...Honestly? Maybe just walk away for a few weeks/months until DCS: F/A-18C comes out?

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

He is talking about the "Flaming Cliffs 3" module. Simplified avionics and non-clickable cockpits for the planes contained in the module. Still, highly recommended anyway.

Most of the modules (apart from the Mig29 and Su33) feature great flight models.

I can not recommend the Flaming Cliffs modules, because the lack of system interactions makes them pretty arcade and "gamey" modules for me. If you don't care much about interactions with the aircraft systems, then you can have fun with Flaming Cliffs for sure. I can't.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

While that is true, in most fighter jets you rely on your HOTAS anyway. Sure you can't "click" anything, but the core modelled systems are pretty accurate in their function if not in their implementation. Especially in the Su27, Su25T and the F15C.

@Habu_69...re:Falcon BMS 4.33

I don't see that listed in the available airframe with DCS. If it doesn't run on DCS i"m not interested right now. I see too much potential in what can be done with the whole series with the airframes available and the capabilities of the Mission Editor. Don't want to change horses in the middle of the race and I really want to learn to build missions (since I think I suck as a pilot). There is so much untapped knowledge in DCS A-10C alone it could keep me busy for a while. But thanks for the suggestion...all are valid.

yea, I Meant the flaming cliffs module. The FM and weapons are all to DCS standards other than not actually being able to flick switches its all mapped to HOTAS anyway. and lots of content, and rumors they will soon add clickable cockpits. carrier landings are a blast in Su-33

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd rather be flying and fighting than have my head down clicking switches. If the clickable cockpit is there, that's fine, but it's not a deal breaker if it isn't.

You should be ok with Flaming Cliffs then. it really is a good module

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The FM and weapons are all to DCS standards

carrier landings are a blast in Su-33

The Su-33 has a flight model closer to that of a skateboard then a actual su-33.

The only FC3 ones at the moment with advanced flight model are F-15 and SU-27.

The su-33 flies about as realistic as the fighter jet in GTA 5.

The Su-33 has a flight model closer to that of a skateboard then a actual su-33.

The only FC3 ones at the moment with advanced flight model are F-15 and SU-27.

The su-33 flies about as realistic as the fighter jet in GTA 5.

It actually has flight model closer to an Su33, the parameters are there, the performance charts match up quite well, just some restrictive scripting behaviour at stalls and landing, plus if you land on grass you explode, if you land on the Kuz too fast and too much sink rate you don't get away with damaged gear you simply explode. To say it handles like GTA is nonsense.

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I cut my teeth on LockOn. I've been flying with Flaming Cliffs all this time. I fly the Hog often because I love to work the equipment (Hotas, etc.)

If it flies, I have it in DCS. But, my personal favorite is the Huey as far as flight dynamics is concerned. It's a whole different ball game to fly compared to fixed wing fast movers. The cockpit is clickable but because of just how simplistic the Huey is, there's not much clicking that needs doing. Just fly till your eyes burn out from watching the screen.

Assuming you don't want to spend the learning curve time flying an egg-beater, the next best thing to fly for that Holy Crap Need For Speeeeeed is the F-15C. I don't need to click the cockpit in the Eagle. I need to understand what the fight's all about. To do that, I have to keep one eye on the radar and one eye on the world outside the canopy at BVR and, once I see the whites of his eyes, I need to keep both my own eyes glued on the bandit that's trying his best to kill me. My throttle and stick have all the controls I need to have fun (or die trying). And when it comes to NOE flying (low level like the Mach Loop), the Eagle gets my nerves tingling as I anticipate the twists, turns, and mountain-sides. If you really want to rise to Ace level in a fight, you can put in some quality flight training time and, if you're good enough (I'm not), the F-15C is unbeatable in a fight. (OMG! Listen to the crowd boo me! :music_whistling:)

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

You should be ok with Flaming Cliffs then. it really is a good module

I am. I started with the release of Lock On. If they want to add a clickable cockpit that's fine. I doubt it will make the fight any better. As long as the weapons and FM are accurate I can live with it.

I also fly the A-10c and Mustang. All are fun in their own way. Although the A-10c may be more challenge than fun. I'm waiting for that to reverse. Might take awhile.

Buzz

M2000C is the best fighter jet module in DCS. F-5 is fun but not as effective, same with the MiG-21. M2K is the only full fidelity aircraft where you can be competitive online in a modern setting.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C, FC3, P-51, BF-109, UH-1, MI-8, KA-50, M2000C, AJS-37, Gazelle, F-5E, L-39, F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21.