Save game feature

Sandman1330

Since the last save game thread seems to have been deleted (I can't find it, anyway), I'll start a new one.

I am hereby serving notice: Up to this point, I have spent $240.90 (US) on DCS.

I will not spend another cent until a save game feature is implemented. I mostly play campaign missions, which have gotten far more complex and challenging - which is great - but which also end up running much longer, and with many more ways to fail. Spending 45 minutes to get back to the point where I last failed is not my idea of fun. Doing it several times on a particularly challenging campaign mission is my idea of torture.

Therefore, until ED implements this feature, which is STANDARD on just about any other game, I will NOT spend another cent on a program that only serves to infuriate me. Since I'm not getting out of my investment what I expect, I am voting with my wallet, and I encourage all of you who feel the same way to support me and say so on this thread.

I might just be pissed because I just spent 3 hours working on a tough campaign mission and am still no further along than I was, but I mean this. I'm done.

Please implement basic features before spending all your time on shiny new modules and maps. The ability to manually save, or an autosave function, either would be acceptable. Just give us something.

Edited by Sandman1330
  • Like 4

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I've never played the campaigns in DCSW, but I know from plenty of other single player games how it can be hard to do a perfect run every time and being able to save even once after a really hard bit or even if you simply have to go do other real life stuff. The door rings, the dog needs a pee, the baby is crying, your best friend turns up at random, the wife suddenly decides to get naked... when you gotta go, you gotta or you're like. Dayum woman, I just spent 20 minutes getting to this point and I can't save the game!

Personally I wouldn't give up. Seems a waste just to throw in the towel when you've spent that much on something you obviously enjoy (most of the time). Take a break, come back to in a week or a month or so :)

Edited by BFBunny

the wife suddenly decides to get naked... when you gotta go, you gotta or you're like. Dayum woman, I just spent 20 minutes getting to this point and I can't save the game!

:lol:

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 3 years later...

Holy necropost!

Anyway, i too would very much like a save game feature for DCS as i struggle to find the time to complete the longer campaign missions, due to reallife/family stuff.

Seeing as how track files and tacview record pretty much everything, it should be doable?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wait4It said:

Holy necropost!

Anyway, i too would very much like a save game feature for DCS as i struggle to find the time to complete the longer campaign missions, due to reallife/family stuff.

Seeing as how track files and tacview record pretty much everything, it should be doable?

One of the most requested feautures in DCS. Unfortunately because of engine limitations it is impossible to implement (at least this is the official answer to this question). 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Wow, in retrospect reading my post on this, I was maaaad! I’m actually kind of embarrassed 😞 

I've since gotten much more into multiplayer and just worked around the missing save game feature. I have, however, only purchased one campaign since then I believe (Raven One). It certainly has reduced my enjoyment (and therefore my money spent) on the scripted campaigns.

Bignewy or Nineline addressed the question in a different post, apparently it won’t be coming any time soon due to engine limitations (as Lurker already mentioned). At least they were upfront about the issues they are facing.

Maybe one day with DCS World 3.0 or something...

Edited by Sandman1330

Well, both Rising Squall and Raven One implement checkpoints. However, in general most realistic scripted DCS missions will require an hour or two to yourself, give or take. In modern world, that's a luxury not everyone has, but it's a natural consequence of simulating realistic mission times, which do take that long. I once spent about two and a half in the cockpit of an A-10, but it was a particularly annoying mission and I had to refuel halfway through. 

I'd welcome mid-mission saves myself, given that it makes RL time management somewhat easier. If it helps, DCS has no problem (at least on my computer) with being paused and alt-tabbed out of for an indefinite period of time. 🙂 If you really can't muster an uninterrupted hour or so, you can try to deal with interruptions that way.

2 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Raven One implement checkpoints

I wish they had those before every "hard" part, such as AAR and landing. Wasted 90 minutes flying Raven One only to crash in the end due to being unable to hookup to the S-3 😞

Edited by schurem

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

Checkpoints in the campaigns is a good idea!

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I didn't know Raven One had checkpoints, that sounds like it may be helpfull, gonna try it out.

Does anyone have a link or a quote where the devs discussed the save game feature and what the issues were?

Edited by Wait4It

On 2/2/2021 at 5:25 AM, Wait4It said:

Does anyone have a link or a quote where the devs discussed the save game feature and what the issues were?

In this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/234279-save-feature-for-sp-missions-is-essential/?tab=comments#comment-235028

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 11:40 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

If it helps, DCS has no problem (at least on my computer) with being paused and alt-tabbed out of for an indefinite period of time. 🙂 If you really can't muster an uninterrupted hour or so, you can try to deal with interruptions that way.

I can do this as well. I will often leave the game paused all day if I need to, however, that doesn't address

the OP's main issue concerning campaigns, which is:  you get half way (or more) through the mission and either crash or get shot.

You have to start from the beginning to get back to that point in the mission and try again. It's never 5 or 10 minutes in, it's always at least 1/2 hour.

I understand his frustration and I too have given up playing campaigns for that reason.

On 1/30/2021 at 9:59 AM, Sandman1330 said:

Wow, in retrospect reading my post on this, I was maaaad! I’m actually kind of embarrassed 😞 

HaHa, I was going to say something about that.  I see you have matured a bit in 3 years.   SRsfa58.gif

Edited by rayrayblues

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Can anybody direct me how to load checkpoint in rising squall missions? I am on mission one - and after destroying sams, and before launching JSOW i got shotdown - how can i reload checkpoint? Also does anybody know where are rising squal campaign files installed?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

On 2/6/2021 at 7:46 AM, rayrayblues said:

I see you have matured a bit in 3 years.   

Naa, just worked my way through the 5 stages. That was anger. I bargained with Bignewy, got depressed as heck and quit playing, then just eventually accepted it 😜

• 3 weeks later...

Considering replay won't work perfectly, I guess loading saved state cause plenty of issues in DCS.

Buy DCS:Retire and DCS:Divorce modules

Indeed it would be nice to having load state option but not being able to start again easily is a meaningful death in this simulator and I enjoy it.

Edited by Iriya